The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Kircher's Tarantella
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. was an interesting phenomenon still existing in Southern Italy in the 1950s. It is a psychological condition traditionally associated with the bite of the semi-mythical spider "la Taranta / Tarantola / Tarantula". It could only be cured by dancing at an appropriate kind of music "la Tarantella".
I was surprised to find out that Kircher discusses the subject in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. He also provided transcriptions of the music and lyrics (in both the original Southern dialect and his Latin translation).

(01-01-2021, 08:07 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. was an interesting phenomenon still existing in Southern Italy in the 1950s. It is a psychological condition traditionally associated with the bite of the semi-mythical spider "la Taranta / Tarantola / Tarantula". It could only be cured by dancing at an appropriate kind of music "la Tarantella".
I was surprised to find out that Kircher discusses the subject in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. He also provided transcriptions of the music and lyrics (in both the original Southern dialect and his Latin translation).
Ha-ha! Now I know what to do!  Smile Recently, tarantulas have simply flooded our region, although 10 years ago we only heard about them.
Interesting. I never actually made the link to the Italian city. So the tarantula (which is used in various languages to denote hairy spiders) is etymologically linked to the surname Tarantino, for example. I had never heard about the psychological condition either.
It's not called "Stung by a Tarantula" for nothing.

Es heisst nicht umsonst "Wie von einer Tarantel gestochen"

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
[attachment=5087][attachment=5088]

The European tarantula can also grow to a nice size. The bite is like a wasp sting.

I speak from experience.
Ohhh, I forgot about that.

They like to live in the basement. If you go barefoot into the basement and get bitten on the toe, then you know how she teaches you to dance and swear.
MarcoP, I'm assuming that lively YouTube video isn't actually the music Kircher wrote down? Anyone got that song?
Tarantella primus, secondus e tertius modus ( as in Kircher`s book,  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Surprisingly catchy. Listening to it, I was filled with the sudden impulse to hoover the house. Thanks!
Saw the following which appears to have quite a bit of Athanasius Kircher's correspondence:

I searched Voynich Ninja for "Gregoriana" didn't find a reference, so included this link.

I have just seen this referred to elsewhere when it comes to Kircher and the Voynich correspondence.
Pages: 1 2