The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: The star in f67v2: is it six- or seven-pointed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It appears that the number of rays of the star in the centre of f67v2 may be of importance. More details in these threads:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

It is curious that this number is not evident at once, and I'm still not sure whether it's six or seven.

Please express your opinions!

[attachment=4354]
To make it more specific, there are spiral "outgrowths" which in some places take origin in the points of the star's rays, but not always.

And it is not clear whether the origin of the outgrowth at 9 o'clock is actually a ray or not.
What a mess! I see what you mean, there is a phantom ray on the left. It could be a spiral outgrowth that's not very smooth, or a star arm with only one line. 

Now there is a line cutting off the phantom arm from the body. So I'll stick with my initial impression that there are six.
If we consider this phatom ray as a triangle, then the lower side of the triangle is part of the outgrowth itself. However what is the upper side of the triangle may be just the border of the ochre paint which occasionally fits this line.
I've looked both with old and new Beinecke scans, and it's really really difficut to tell. It's not impossible that the star was depicted in two passes. First a 6-pointed star was depicted, and then the additional ray at 10 o'clock was drawn.
I am going with 6. The other "triangle" looks more incidental than by design given that it is not bounded on both sides.
[attachment=4355]
I just added contrast and replaced color.
This figure (adopted from the old Beinecke scan) shows how, for the 6-pointed star, all rays are based on more or less the same circumference (red circle) centered at the dot in the centre of the star, while the potential seventh ray has its supposed apex far beyond the circumference.

[attachment=4356]
Just try (everyone) to draw the seven-pointed star quickly. You must have a very good coordination or skill. 
It is not in opposition to the 6-pointed star (it is really not clear), just as an experiment.
Of note, in Q20 (at least in the first few folios that I checked), 7- and 8-pointed stars are predominant.
Pages: 1 2 3