The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Humanist handwriting in the MS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Already in December 1995 Jim Reeds reported about a discussion that he and his wife had with the Italian herbalist Sergio Toresella, who had visited the Beinecke library where he had spent some time with the Voynich MS.
One of Toresella's observations, which was clearly supported by Jim, was that the handwriting in the MS was in an Italian humanist hand.

This observation was supported much later by a Spanish handwriting expert: Juan Jose Marcos, who further pointed out that this type of handwriting was used only by educated people.

It has always remained a bit of a question what to do with this information, and how the humanist strive for good form can be reconciled with the amateuristic and not all that elegant drawings in the MS.

Just a few weeks ago, I received a very interesting tip about this from Michelle Smith. I wanted to write about it earlier, but then other things happened.

One of the early Italian humanists was born as Zomino, but he changed his name to Sozomeno (1387 - 1458). He was born and died in Pistoia, and studied in Padova from 1407-1413. He entered the clergy already at an early age, and met other humanists in Florence (where he knew Poggio).
He did several of the 'usual'  humanist things such as composing greek and latin grammars, and commenting on many classical authors. He built up his own library, which he donated to the city of Pistoia in 1423.
Here are some links (all in Italian):
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

What is unique about him is that his change from a standard gothic handwriting style to a humanist handwriting style is fully document and can be followed in his works. This is explained in detail You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

What most attracted my attention was the picture that Michelle sent to me:

[attachment=1871]

I have not been able to find this one back on the net, but there are a few others:

[attachment=1872]

The marginal writing and drawings are confirmed to be in Sozomeno's hand.

I am not at all trying to argue here, that Sozomeno is suddenly a candidate for having written the Voynich MS.
However, the almost doodle-like marginal illustrations do have a very familiar ring to them.
Thank you Rene, this is very interesting. The placement of the drawings certainly does look familiar, at least to the extent that one would expect a similar inspiration for Zosomeno's pages and Q13. 

Can anyone make out what these pages are about?
(29-12-2017, 09:10 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

What most attracted my attention was the picture that Michelle sent to me:

Very interesting indeed. Even at a glance, the way the page is ORGANIZED jumps out as similar to the VMS (and dissimilar to most other manuscripts). Thanks for posting it.
(29-12-2017, 10:58 AM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

Can anyone make out what these pages are about?

I wish they were bigger, I can't make out much, but one can't help noticing the flower-tail dragon with hump-like wings, the figural poses (the left leg raised), the way the drawing parts flow from one to the next as in a narrative. It really is the closest I've ever seen to the way the VMS drawings are organized.
There are many links.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. has a transcription and allows to zoom.
(29-12-2017, 11:10 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There are many links.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. has a transcription and allows to zoom.

Ugh. Hate these Flash viewers, but appreciate the link.
(29-12-2017, 11:07 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It really is the closest I've ever seen to the way the VMS drawings are organized.

Yes, I think so too, though perhaps the "marginal psalters" VViews reported on a while ago get close. The reason why I vaguely speak about "similar inspiration" is that the style of drawing, for example of the individual figures, is completely different. Tall, elongated figures with nicely articulated limbs, angels with wings, effortless switching between three quarter view and profile view... It's opposite to the VM in this aspect. But remarkably close in the way the chain of images is draped around the page.

Maybe someone fluent in the language can glance the general subject of these pages.
The drawing does look like a different hand, but so many parallels in content and formation, the guys even have their feet in tublike connecting vessels.

Unfortunately, the Flash viewer doesn't work for me, I can't see the images on the linked site.
1) There is a book about S. by one of the researchers behind the web site.,
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - Firenze 2016

2) Whoever is going to tell me otherwise, I am not convinced that the Voynich script is a Humanistica, it is a Gothic script, the marginalia and zodiac scripts are Gothic scripts anyway.

3) One of the leading features oft Beinecke 408 is that it is a scientific ms. The library of S. Is the typical library of a philologist, there is a lonely volume of Aristotles scientific writings. The Humanist movement is a bunch of philologists, Humanist script in a scientfic ms. from around 1420, especially in a ms. which was not a published book in the proper sense of the word seems a bit unlikely in any case
The content of the one with the fish at the top is Christian doctrine.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5