The Voynich Ninja
The "gallows" characters - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: The "gallows" characters (/thread-70.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: The "gallows" characters - Emma May Smith - 12-09-2016

(12-09-2016, 05:24 PM)ThomasCoon Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(12-09-2016, 04:37 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There are so many examples of [q] where the character looks exactly like the left half of [t], and many like you describe where the left half of a [t] looks like a [q]. There must have been some connection between the two characters in the writer's head. Either the strokes were exactly the same and so he made the mistake unconsciously, or that there was some link between their meaning and the writer became confused as to which one he wanted.

I'm agnostic over whether there is a link between [q] and gallows characters, but would be happy to hear any theories or further insights.

I've wondered about that theory also. You are definitely right that they look similar. I wonder though if we do the same thing when we write our own alphabet: for example the change between [O] and [Q] or between [b,p,g,q] or [v,w] - or even [r,n,m]...

Indeed, and as your examples show we must be wary of drawing too strong a conclusion. It is obvious that many of the characters in the Voynich script do share fundamental strokes, but that simply could be the nature of how it is written. There's nothing linking Q and O in Roman script, yet they share a similar shape because there are only so many ways to draw a circle. And even though pairs like n and m or b and p are phonetically related, the similarity of their shapes is a coincidence.

It's frustrating because we simply don't know what is significant and what is not.

RE: The "gallows" characters - Anton - 12-09-2016

@ Wladimir:

A very good suggestion IMO!

q + z

RE: The "gallows" characters - -JKP- - 12-09-2016

(12-09-2016, 05:24 PM)ThomasCoon Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(12-09-2016, 04:37 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There are so many examples of [q] where the character looks exactly like the left half of [t], and many like you describe where the left half of a [t] looks like a [q]. There must have been some connection between the two characters in the writer's head. Either the strokes were exactly the same and so he made the mistake unconsciously, or that there was some link between their meaning and the writer became confused as to which one he wanted.

I'm agnostic over whether there is a link between [q] and gallows characters, but would be happy to hear any theories or further insights.

I've wondered about that theory also. You are definitely right that they look similar. I wonder though if we do the same thing when we write our own alphabet: for example the change between [O] and [Q] or between [b,p,g,q] or [v,w] - or even [r,n,m]...

I am 100% sure that the Eva-q is based on the Latin 9 abbreviation, just as I am 100% sure that the j shapes are based on the Latin -ris and -cis shapes. I've mentioned this many times, blogged about it, and given visual examples as well.
  • In Latin -ris and -cis are drawn exactly the same as in the VMS.
  • In Latin, Eva-q is drawn exactly the same as in the VMS (as a 9 shape).
  • In Latin -ris and -cis are almost always at the ends of words. In the VMS, they are almost always at the ends of vords.
  • In Latin, Eva-q is sometimes at the beginning, occasionally in the middle, and frequently at the end. The VMS uses it exactly the same way.
  • In Latin, the descender on -ris and -cis are sometimes shorter. In the VMS they are sometimes shorter.
  • In Latin, Eva-q is sometimes in-line and sometimes superscripted, depending on scribe, language, and context. Same in the VMS. Usually in-line but you can find it superscripted.
There's really no doubt about their morphological origin. To a modern eye, the similarity between Latin "a" and "o" and the VMS glyphs is obvious. To a medieval paelographer, the similarity between Eva-q and Latin 9 is obvious.

What is not known is what they represent. In Latin -ris is a ligature combining "r" and the abbreviation for "is". In Voynichese, it could be a single letter or sound, an abbreviation, a marker, or something else. Borrowing a shape from Latin doesn't mean it means the same thing.

RE: The "gallows" characters - ThomasCoon - 13-09-2016

Emma May Smith Wrote:It's frustrating because we simply don't know what is significant and what is not.

Believe me, I was so frustrated once that I wrote "That Jackass" on the margins of my VMS notes. Six hundred years after death, and the author is still infuriating. Smile

(12-09-2016, 10:59 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I am 100% sure that the Eva-q is based on the Latin 9 abbreviation, just as I am 100% sure that the j shapes are based on the Latin -ris and -cis shapes. I've mentioned this many times, blogged about it, and given visual examples as well.
  • In Latin -ris and -cis are almost always at the ends of words. In the VMS, they are almost always at the ends of vords.
  • In Latin, Eva-q is sometimes at the beginning, occasionally in the middle, and frequently at the end. The VMS uses it exactly the same way.
  • In Latin, the descender on -ris and -cis are sometimes shorter. In the VMS they are sometimes shorter.
  • In Latin, Eva-q is sometimes in-line and sometimes superscripted, depending on scribe, language, and context. Same in the VMS. Usually in-line but you can find it superscripted.
There's really no doubt about their morphological origin. To a modern eye, the similarity between Latin "a" and "o" and the VMS glyphs is obvious. To a medieval paelographer, the similarity between Eva-q and Latin 9 is obvious.

What is not known is what they represent. In Latin -ris is a ligature combining "r" and the abbreviation for "is". In Voynichese, it could be a single letter or sound, an abbreviation, a marker, or something else. Borrowing a shape from Latin doesn't mean it means the same thing.

Those are all good points - many people have looked at the frequent 9 at the end and thought of Latin, because that would explain several Latin case endings: is, os, us, es. At the beginning of a word it could be the Latin prefix "con-/com-", and standing alone it would mean "cum" (the preposition "with"). I hope to God that the author didn't use this setup, and I REALLY hope he didn't mix languages (i.e. a German text with Latin abbreviations).

RE: The "gallows" characters - -JKP- - 13-09-2016

(13-09-2016, 12:35 AM)ThomasCoon Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(12-09-2016, 10:59 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I am 100% sure that the Eva-q is based on the Latin 9 abbreviation, just as I am 100% sure that the j shapes are based on the Latin -ris and -cis shapes. I've mentioned this many times, blogged about it, and given visual examples as well.

Those are all good points - many people have looked at the frequent 9 at the end and thought of Latin, because that would explain several Latin case endings: is, os, us, es. At the beginning of a word it could be the Latin prefix "con-/com-", and standing alone it would mean "cum" (the preposition "with"). I hope to God that the author didn't use this setup, and I REALLY hope he didn't mix languages (i.e. a German text with Latin abbreviations).

Hate to tell you this, but German/Italian/Spanish/French/English text with Latin abbreviations was normal in the 15th century.

The c and r shapes that have tails are also normal Latin abbreviations, although they are not used quite as frequently as -ris, -tis, -cis, con-/com-, -us/-um, and -rum shapes when applied to languages other than Latin.

RE: The "gallows" characters - ThomasCoon - 13-09-2016

(13-09-2016, 12:40 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Hate to tell you this, but German/Italian/Spanish/French/English text with Latin abbreviations was normal in the 15th century.

The c and r shapes that have tails are also normal Latin abbreviations, although they are not used quite as frequently as -ris, -tis, -cis, con-/com-, -us/-um, and -rum when applied to languages other than Latin.

To quote Diane:

(08-09-2016, 09:08 AM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.*faints*

RE: The "gallows" characters - Wladimir D - 13-09-2016

(12-09-2016, 09:14 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@ Wladimir:

A very good suggestion IMO!

q + z

I was referring to the code + 145 (wide EVA) = code 188 (v 101).

Loop this symbol is larger than the "L"

RE: The "gallows" characters - Anton - 24-02-2017

I'd like to gather evidence of which gallows do exhibit the "gallows coverage" and which do not.

Here's what I collected so far:

Simple gallows:

p - yes
f - yes
t - yes
k - ???

Benched gallows featuring...

p - ???
f - ???
t - yes
k - ???

Can somebody please advise on the question-marked positions? Wladimir, maybe you have examples? Thx in advance.

RE: The "gallows" characters - Anton - 25-02-2017

OK, Wladimir kindly provided me with some figures and comments out of band (don't remember if they were already posted in the "Artefacts" thread), and the matter stands so far as follows:

Simple gallows:

p - yes
f - yes
t - yes
k - no

p - yes
f - no
t - yes
k - no

I also need to add that I recognize the type of gallows (simple vs benched)  for the coverage by the leading (not the trailing) leg.

This given, the following trail of reasoning may be pursued.

Gallows (and gallows-containing composites such as EVA &130; ) are the only characters containing a vertical that do raise above the line. Other characters containing a vertical do not raise above the line. For example, q does not. Neither does z (although its vertical is shortened and probably is not the same as the vertical in gallows - indeed, otherwise it would not be possible to distinguish it from k). Neither does EVA &206; (see e.g. f68r1, line 3).

So the question is there: why do the gallows need to raise above the line? For the benched gallows the answer is evident: because otherwise there would have been no place for the loops.

But what about simple gallows? As I wrote elsewhere (maybe in this very thread above), the reasonable answer is that they raise above the line so as to enable the gallows coverage. If they did not, the gallows coverage would not have been possible.

But of the four simple gallows one - namely, the k character, - does not exhibit gallows coverage. So why would it need to raise above the line? The answer that I can think of is that when putting down the text it is not known in advance which gallows is to be used. The vertical is first put down, and only then - when the nearby characters are put down, the gallows is completed to be one of the particular types.

What do you think?

RE: The "gallows" characters - Diane - 25-02-2017

(25-02-2017, 12:25 AM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.OK, Wladimir kindly provided me with some figures and comments out of band (don't remember if they were already posted in the "Artefacts" thread), and the matter stands so far as follows:

Simple gallows:

p - yes
f - yes
t - yes
k - no

p - yes
f - no
t - yes
k - no

I also need to add that I recognize the type of gallows (simple vs benched)  for the coverage by the leading (not the trailing) leg.

This given, the following trail of reasoning may be pursued.

Gallows (and gallows-containing composites such as EVA &130; ) are the only characters containing a vertical that do raise above the line. Other characters containing a vertical do not raise above the line. For example, q does not. Neither does z (although its vertical is shortened and probably is not the same as the vertical in gallows - indeed, otherwise it would not be possible to distinguish it from k). Neither does EVA &206; (see e.g. f68r1, line 3).

So the question is there: why do the gallows need to raise above the line? For the benched gallows the answer is evident: because otherwise there would have been no place for the loops.

But what about simple gallows? As I wrote elsewhere (maybe in this very thread above), the reasonable answer is that they raise above the line so as to enable the gallows coverage. If they did not, the gallows coverage would not have been possible.

But of the four simple gallows one - namely, the k character, - does not exhibit gallows coverage. So why would it need to raise above the line? The answer that I can think of is that when putting down the text it is not known in advance which gallows is to be used. The vertical is first put down, and only then - when the nearby characters are put down, the gallows is completed to be one of the particular types.

What do you think?

I think we need to consider that a Latin-trained hand is writing a script that is not Latin. I'd go further and suggest that the 'hand' is that of someone accustomed to the forms of Papal chancery script in which we see some glyphs of this type - but not all.

Jim Reeds' pointed out the similarity to Papal chancery years ago. Bit of a pity that we've got into the habit of calling these 'gallows' glyphs, because they don't really look like the English 'gallows' motif which, I think, doesn't occur for a century or more after the Vms was made.  Still, it's the custom now, so I won't buck it. Smile