The Voynich Ninja
That such apostrophe? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: That such apostrophe? (/thread-687.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: That such apostrophe? - Anton - 21-09-2016

Quote:So I has placed my artifacts on his page in https You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

If all pics are available there, that's OK for me Smile  thx

Quote:Is it possible in profile from posting the label, along with all messages and attachments separately to all the pictures that they could be flipping, because keeps records and the volume attached drawings.

Можно ли в профиле пользователя разместить метку, наряду со всеми сообщениями, и отдельно на все прикрепленные картинки, что бы их можно было листать, ведь ведется учет прикрепленного объема рисунков.

Unfortunately that's not possible. There have been some "gallery" plugins for pre-1.8 versions MyBB, but I don't know what's up now.

RE: That such apostrophe? - Wladimir D - 23-09-2016

About what these examples indicate? !!!!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: That such apostrophe? - ThomasCoon - 23-09-2016

(23-09-2016, 07:45 AM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.About what these examples indicate? !!!!!

That's a good question Wladimir - I've seen those exact letters also, when I copied the text. My guess was that he made a mistake: he started to write one letter, and then he realized he needed to write a different letter?

RE: That such apostrophe? - -JKP- - 23-09-2016

(23-09-2016, 02:21 PM)ThomasCoon Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(23-09-2016, 07:45 AM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.About what these examples indicate? !!!!!

That's a good question Wladimir - I've seen those exact letters also, when I copied the text. My guess was that he made a mistake: he started to write one letter, and then he realized he needed to write a different letter?

He's clearly used to writing Latin abbreviations—the abbreviation shapes are mostly fluid and natural, moreso than odd letters like gallows characters. So... another possibility is that there are letters missing by the caps but that the glyphs already mean that and he simply added the caps out of habit and they are redundant.

A third possibility is that he used the glyphs to represent a less common sequence of letters in which there are letters in between and added the cap to represent them and they are in fact meaningful.

RE: That such apostrophe? - Wladimir D - 24-09-2016

ZKP / I'm most inclined to the latter explanation. So how then, understandable the reason wherefore is  forced jumping off "apostrophe" from the second floor in the examples 23 and 24 on base of line .

Words starts It is with this vowel letter !!!

RE: That such apostrophe? - Koen G - 24-09-2016

After a conversation with Diane about this subject, I am switching my opinion of the script as being based on Latin to Greek. That such apostrophe on word-initial "40" is found, for example, on the top left word of this image:

[Image: Abbasid_Byzantine_Afshin_Battle_Anzen.jpg]

I'm sold.

At the very least, this might imply that the scribe was used to writing Greek and thought of VM "40" as the same.

RE: That such apostrophe? - Sam G - 24-09-2016

(24-09-2016, 08:32 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.After a conversation with Diane about this subject, I am switching my opinion of the script as being based on Latin to Greek. That such apostrophe on word-initial "40" is found, for example, on the top left word of this image:

I'm sold.

At the very least, this might imply that the scribe was used to writing Greek and thought of VM "40" as the same.

What I tend to think now is that the script we see in the VMS is a Latin-based script that was created to transcribe the text (which must have previously been written in some other script, possibly Greek-based) when this material was transmitted to Western Europe.  It's possible that the creation of this new script involved mapping some aspects of the previous script to their nearest Latin equivalents, which could account for the similarity of the apostrophe in Sh (which is also a normal Latin abbreviation for "circ") to certain aspects of Greek paleography (if necessary).

RE: That such apostrophe? - -JKP- - 24-09-2016

(24-09-2016, 08:32 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.After a conversation with Diane about this subject, I am switching my opinion of the script as being based on Latin to Greek. That such apostrophe on word-initial "40" is found, for example, on the top left word of this image:

[Image: Abbasid_Byzantine_Afshin_Battle_Anzen.jpg]

I'm sold.

The rounded cap is found very frequently in Latin. Some of the less-used VMS characters resemble Greek (even scribes in England, thousands of miles from Greece, often knew Greek), and there's a fairly high probability the scribe knew Greek as well, but the majority of the characters come directly from Latin, so if a character is found in both languages, there's no way to know the source, but the more likely explanation is that it's from Latin, since most of them are from Latin.

The "4" shape is also found in latin. It's less common than than the EVA-ell glyph which was used in Latin for the number "4" but I've seen examples and today I saw a 14th-century manuscript with the "4" shape clearly written. I've seen it also in Greek, but it's not drawn quite the same, it usually represents a flourished "delta" character and most scribes don't draw it like a "4".

Even the gallows "P" is found in Latin (sometimes as a pilcrow, sometimes as a paragraph-end marker). This came from the same shape in Greek.

RE: That such apostrophe? - Wladimir D - 27-09-2016

What caused the writing of the most popular word "daiin" with an additional apostrophe (f49r)?
(I translate the following sequence - "the crushing plants.")
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rene (and other developers EVA ).
That Finally I found "proof" the independent use "horizontal line" character. I propose to call it in further discussions - "seat (of bench) ". (F71v)

RE: That such apostrophe? - -JKP- - 27-09-2016

(27-09-2016, 06:03 AM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.What caused the writing of the most popular word "daiin" with an additional apostrophe (f49r)?
(I translate the following sequence - "the crushing plants.")
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rene (and other developers EVA ).
That Finally I found "proof" the independent use "horizontal line" character. I propose to call it in further discussions - "seat (of bench) ". (F71v)

I can't remember if you've posted about folio 50r yet, Wladimir, but it's full of unusual shapes, including a bench char that has two caps/apostrophes (or an apostrophe bench that is partly an EVA-s char as well, depending on how it is interpreted).

Plus a couple of instances of "arin" instead of "[d]ain", along with many other unusual letter combinations.

It also has an example of the Latin "cis" ligature (EVA-6 but with a shortened descender) split apart so you can see the two parts that make up the glyph (line 8, three words from the end).

Also something that looks like dario or darin (also unusual) near the end of the last line.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. stands out in many ways.