The Voynich Ninja
Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all (/thread-653.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - -JKP- - 03-08-2017

Nice examples, Marco.

I like the way the one on the right also incorporates zodiac constellations.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - -JKP- - 03-08-2017

(02-08-2017, 07:33 AM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Well observed, Wladimir.
Hmm, the glimmer continues a little bit below the spire, so it's separate from the yellow paint.

Might this ne the result of the 'clear white paint' mentioned in the McCrone report? This was based on egg white, so presumably it would provide some shine...

You're quite right, egg white might provide a slight shine that could be picked up by a scanner.

Here's another "shiny" spot in the center rosette that resembles an off-white splotch of paint (perhaps white mixed with a little of that pale amber color):

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - Koen G - 04-08-2017

That almost looks like something that got stuck to the image later. Like paper tape.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - ReneZ - 04-08-2017

Numerous 'golden' specks were noticed on the MS images ever since the digital images became available.
One theory at the time was that these were tiny remnants of gold or gold paint, that may have become
stuck on the MS when it was created, possibly in some scriptorium.

In 2014 I asked a conservator to have a look at some of these through the microscope, and they turned out to be drops of 'gum', the material that was used as a binding agent for inks.

The one shown by JKP above may be a bit large for such a thing, but it could be.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - -JKP- - 04-08-2017

(04-08-2017, 06:16 AM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.That almost looks like something that got stuck to the image later. Like paper tape.

I can't enlarge this any farther without distorting it, but here's a slightly higher-resolution image:

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - Wladimir D - 07-08-2017

If we put together "tectonic plates" on the upper rosettes, then we get a standard scheme for building the central market square of a medieval city.
h - is the thickness of the "tectonic plate" (elevation height relative to the level of the market area).
The cutout of the tower (which I have put in place), and the full ellipse image created in a "rectangular Dimetriy". You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . This is also true for the ellipse of the scaffold.
A sectoral (angular) shift can be made for two "wings" with towers on the top between the central and right rosette to get the combined mountain.
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]     [/font]

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - DONJCH - 22-09-2018

In support of Renee's original proposal, or a variation thereof, I thought to post this image, recently scanned.
9 circles, though the central one is unlabelled.

(If this appears elsewhere here, please delete.)

Byrhtferth’s diagram of the groups of four elements he believed made up the universe, copied at Peterborough, c. 1120–1140: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., f. 7r

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - ReneZ - 22-09-2018

Indeed, this is not new, nor was I the one to point to this illustration.
In fact, I am not so sure that this is related to the rosettes page in the Voynich MS.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - DONJCH - 22-09-2018

OK, no problem. Please delete if irrelevant.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - ReneZ - 23-09-2018

No worries, I just responded because my name was mentioned.
Earlier posts can be found by searching for Byrhtferth.