The Voynich Ninja
Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all (/thread-653.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - Diane - 10-09-2016

Anton,
Sorry - but the difference is substantial. 

You can make any proposal you like - such as the world is flat, or the Voynich manuscript is a relic of an alien visit. They carry no weight.  The fact that people do think "my idea is as good as anyone's" is exactly why such propositions continue to be pulled out of thin air and then maintained.  Such persons  metaphorically hit the "ignore" button when presented with a reasoned argument to the contrary, one derived from a body of  objective evidence and whose conclusions are based on that evidence.  A conclusion may be mistaken, but it is not equivalent to the other.

In the usual way, research proceeds not by ignoring a body of research and evidence but by addressing it, so if the 'proposition' were "Why the drawing cannot be map" and the argument engaged with evidence and reason then I'd certainly feel an interest in it.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - davidjackson - 10-09-2016

We have wandered off track here. Can we please limit remarks to the topic of this thread - whether the rosette may be a map or not.

David,
The evidence that the folio contains a map is substantial and - at one stage - Rene insisted that the research and evidence demonstrating that fact was uimportant because "everyone" knew it was a map.

I don't mind a reasoned debate - but "mightn't be..." isn't one.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - Anton - 10-09-2016

Hi Diane,

I'm sorry I'm in position to issue you a (one-point) warning for off-topic. I hope for your understanding.

Yes, Anton

I understand. Perfectly.

David,
To keep to the topic. I can see no reason or evidence to suggest the map on that folio is other than a map.

I shall read the efforts to adduce evidence for an alternative idea with considerable interest.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - -JKP- - 10-09-2016

(26-07-2016, 04:23 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(26-07-2016, 04:17 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.la terre le tient droit au fut milieu (where milieu=environment/surroundings cause univers=universe)

feu = fire
air 
yaiir ???
terre = earth/ground

Sorry, David, I accidentally cut a word from the label. See You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

La terre se tient droit au fin milieu du monde.

Earth keeps itself right (droit) at the exact (fin) middle of the universe.

yaue=eau=water, I guess.

Marco, your instinct is correct, yaue is an old word for water (eau). I've also seen it written iaue and zaue in some old books.

"Comment la terre se tient droit au fin milieu du monde:..."

Your transcription is fine also. In English we might express it as follows, "How the earth stands/is positioned at the center of the universe:.."

That passage echoes the content of Manilius' text, which is something a little unusual, given that since the text is generally believed to have remained unknown until found by Poggio Bracciolini - though there is some less certain suggestion that it had earlier been known in Bobbio.

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - Wladimir D - 02-08-2017

How can you get during the scan the brilliance of the spire of tower # 1? Unlike him, the spiers 2 and 3 do not shine! It's like using gold paint.
I have a question for owners of a paper copy of MV. Is there any glitter in paper copies?
The yellow spire No. 1 is divided into two cones with blue paint. What is this: - "all-seeing eye" or an attempt to draw a lighthouse (1 and 3?)?

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - Koen G - 02-08-2017

Well observed, Wladimir.
Hmm, the glimmer continues a little bit below the spire, so it's separate from the yellow paint.

Might this ne the result of the 'clear white paint' mentioned in the McCrone report? This was based on egg white, so presumably it would provide some shine...

RE: Why the rosettes image may not be a map at all - -JKP- - 02-08-2017

(02-08-2017, 06:37 AM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.How can you get during the scan the brilliance of the spire of tower # 1? Unlike him, the spiers 2 and 3 do not shine! It's like using gold paint.
I have a question for owners of a paper copy of MV. Is there any glitter in paper copies?
The yellow spire No. 1 is divided into two cones with blue paint. What is this: - "all-seeing eye" or an attempt to draw a lighthouse (1 and 3?)?

Wladimir, just looking at it one might think it's possibly a lighthouse, but it's way up above an escarpment away from the shapes that look like waves/water, and most lighthouses weren't situated like that. It's possible there were exceptions, but I looked pretty extensively at medieval and ancient lighthouses about eight years ago (it's scary how fast time passes) and most of them were either in the water on rocks or islands, or out on man-made jetties, or very close to the water along the shoreline.