The Voynich Ninja
Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. (/thread-540.html)

Pages: 1 2

Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - Wladimir D - 14-04-2016

Essential argument in justification of that manuscript - fake, are inserting rows (perhaps   paragraphs), and the writing of these lines from the bottom up.
EXAMPLE 1 Order of writing lines "c", "b", "a". If the string "a" written earlier it would have been flat, and the text at the end of the lines would not rise up.
Example 2. The procedure of writing lines "g", "f", "e".
Perhaps simply insert string "f", But then the in the line "e" was not originally the word "rol".
Example 3. Sequence writing lines - "j", "i", "h".
Example 4. If the string "k" would be the first, you do not need a rung would be, and would not need to do a big gap, to circumvent drawing.
Example 5. The sequence of writing lines - "o", "n", "m".

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - Wladimir D - 20-04-2016

It seems that there is a sixth case of the top-line addition.
Why write the first line (highlighted in yellow) to interrupt, not to touch the outline of the circle, if in a bottom of the page enough space?  Initially the author has written this paragraph, and then began to fill the text of the inner circles. He did not know what will be in point of interruption?
Have numerous cases of inserting characters inside of words, which are different in thickness by rest of the letters. See sample. Because of what it is going on? I have two explanations.
1. Author doubted the spelling and leave gaps. Then, finished writing symbols.
2. It is possible that copying (drafting) of the text was carried out stepwise, simultaneously on multiple lines. See f103v.
        A third explanation offered to Sergei Averyanov. The author in the process of writing do calculations (encoding) the same pen on  extraneous sheet , and when returning to the text had to dip nib in the ink.

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - -JKP- - 20-04-2016

(20-04-2016, 07:13 PM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It seems that there is a sixth case of the top-line addition.
Why write the first line (highlighted in yellow) to interrupt, not to touch the outline of the circle, if in a bottom of the page enough space?  Initially the author has written this paragraph, and then began to fill the text of the inner circles. He did not know what will be in point of interruption?
Have numerous cases of inserting characters inside of words, which are different in thickness by rest of the letters. See sample. Because of what it is going on? I have two explanations.
1. Author doubted the spelling and leave gaps. Then, finished writing symbols.
2. It is possible that copying (drafting) of the text was carried out stepwise, simultaneously on multiple lines. See f103v.
        A third explanation offered to Sergei Averyanov. The author in the process of writing do calculations (encoding) the same pen on  extraneous sheet , and when returning to the text had to dip nib in the ink.

You posted some good examples.

I've been wondering about this too and have mentioned a few times that it might be written in more than one pass. I've also mentioned that the word and letter spacing is strange, really strange, stranger than any manuscript of this time that I've seen and if letters/words are being added in a second pass, that might account for some of the strangeness in the spacing.

It's hard to find an explanation for it because there might be many reasons.

If it is encoded text or something similar to steganography, it might be easier to write the "main" text first and fill in with with nulls or...

The interposed text (the second-pass text) might also have meaning and maybe the two need to be split apart in order to read it.

I've tried to sort it out and haven't come up with an answer yet, but I think there is a strong possibility that text was "added" to existing text, the gaps (which were perhaps intentionally created) by the same hand that wrote the original text and, in some cases, maybe by another hand.

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - Anton - 20-04-2016

Those considerations should be combined with our knowledge of labels. Inter-dependent labels within a folio is some thing that adds extreme complexity. So it's reasonable to assume that labels are not mutually dependent.

So: labels encoded in a single pass and text encoded in multiple passes.

Actually interleaving is the first and simplest thing that comes to mind.

Now: can any "pass patterns" be visually identified?

Mind that the text should be decodable - that's, either there is a fixed structure comprehensible without any special tokens or there are some tokens spread over the text.

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - Sam G - 22-04-2016

I think these properties of the text have something to do with the way it was copied.  It seems that the scribe laid down certain portions of the text here and there first, to "anchor" it I suppose, in order to give himself a sort of guideline, and then filled in the rest.  I assume he did this because he knew it would be difficult to squeeze all the text in and he wanted to make sure that he didn't run out of space without having copied all the text that was supposed to go on that page.

It seems to be the pages with lots of text and little extra space (Bio and Stars sections) where we see evidence of text laid down in multiple passes, and not so much the pages with lots of blank space, such as in the Herbal sections.

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - -Job- - 27-04-2016

The right-aligned text just below the 10th paragraph in f114r is interesting.

One possibility is that the author initially ended the 10th paragraph about halfway through the second line.

Later on, a few words into the 11th paragraph, the author realizes that the 10th paragraph is incomplete and extends it to fill its second line and wrapping into a new third line. The third line is right-aligned because the 11th paragraph is already underway.

On returning to the 11th paragraph, the author slowly directs the text downward to account for the newly added text.

It could be taken as evidence of copying, given that the author skipped a few words. Personally, I think it's the result of an unfinished thought, or an addendum.

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - Wladimir D - 10-11-2016

Another example of copying the text of stepwise. This is appreciable by shades of ink.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=901]
On the same page there are a few "words" (Print Layout?), which are written in light ink .

[Image: attachment.php?aid=902]

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - -JKP- - 10-11-2016

Good examples, Wladimir.

I saw another one today (didn't screensnap it but noticed it) where it appeared as though the text were constructed other than in a line-by-line way.

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - Anton - 10-11-2016

It's easy to mistake emendations for some original structure of the layout, so I would be careful with this.

By the way, the third vord in line 1 of Wladimir's third screenshot is a curious one. It begins with q followed by that notable character which has been noted to serve as the only one-character image label in the VMS.

RE: Insert of words, lines, paragraphs. - Wladimir D - 11-11-2016

(10-11-2016, 09:24 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's easy to mistake emendations for some original structure of the layout, so I would be careful with this.

By the way, the third vord in line 1 of Wladimir's third  screenshot is a curious one. It begins with q followed by that notable character which has been noted to serve as the only one-character image label in the VMS.

I have long noticed this symbol. I believe that this is an apostrophe. I even have a hypothesis about the cause of this writing of the apostrophe. This is connected with the procedure reading the characters, if the character [font=Eva]qdecomposes into two parts. I explain in detail on next week on "Artifacts".[/font]

It is at this page single "apostrophe" written as a label.