The Voynich Ninja
How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? (/thread-534.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - -JKP- - 13-04-2016

The VMS is no more unusual than many. I've seen some pretty quirky manuscripts (there's an English manuscript where he invented his own system of numbers and symbols for the planets, a very simplistic and easy to understand system, but his own system nevertheless) and he organized the information in a way that was different from others.

It was not uncommon in the 15th and 16th centuries to create medieval equivalents of encyclopedias of knowledge on particular topics: on astronomy, on medicine, on history (chronicles).

The compilation of information on herbs, zodiacs, the spheres, and what appears to possibly be women's health and possibly pharma sections was almost typical when compared with other doctor's almanacs that included astrological information. The main differences are 1) that it's more extensive, 2) that some parts appear more symbolic than literal, 3) that it appears to focus on women, and 4) that it's in an unknown style of script. The overall content is not unusual.

Balneological pictures and Dante's inferno-style pictures (with lots of people in pools) were not uncommon at this time either and the tradition of recording herbs had long since been established.

I sometimes wonder if the outpouring of information into books in the 15th C was, in part, a reaction to the high death rate of the 14th century when much knowledge was lost. The 14th century was a particularly rough one... famine, significant climate change, several waves of plague, wars. Some believed that the Plaque might wipe out the human race entirely (it wiped out about 90% of the population in India).

The catastrophic losses may have motivated people to record what they knew. Just the name "Hausbuch" for knowledge that was once the provenance of monasteries and universities suggests a change in attitude toward the recording and dissemination of information.

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - ReneZ - 15-04-2016

There are plenty of "unusual" illustrations in the Liber Floridus of St.Omer.
The original is in Gent, Belgium, and its access works for me from Firefox but not MS IE.
For that reason, I link to the copy in Wolfenbüttel:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - Koen G - 15-04-2016

This Liber Floridus is seriously underpromoted, I hadn't actually seen its official site before.

I must say that the picture you link shows some similarities to the VM in the patterns that are used, like the three parallel wavy lines for a flow and the "scales" for clouds. I wonder what his sources were Smile

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - R. Sale - 15-04-2016

While the lines mentioned do degenerate into wavy lines in a few places, they are, for the most part, lines that are pointed on one side and rounded on the other side. According to heraldry, they are engrailed and invected lines.

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - MarcoP - 15-04-2016

(15-04-2016, 02:28 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There are plenty of "unusual" illustrations in the Liber Floridus of St.Omer.

That's a great manuscript!
The first time I saw it, I thought it included a herbal, like Florence Pal 586, discussed by Ellie You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. Smile

[Image: attachment.php?aid=264]

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - ReneZ - 22-04-2016

An interesting page in MS Pal.Lat.411:

including some "nymphs" in the upper left part.

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - Koen G - 22-04-2016

Aren't those nymphs Adam and Eve? You can recognize them by the apples. That's functional nudity ;Wink

Te whole as a representation of heaven and hell does appear rather outlandish indeed.

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - MarcoP - 22-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 10:34 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.An interesting page in MS Pal.Lat.411:

including some "nymphs" in the upper left part.

Thank you, Rene!
Another of your great findings Smile
Did you notice the sign at the bottom of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.?

PS: I thought this should go in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. thread.

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - ReneZ - 22-04-2016

Thanks Smile 

There's some more weird stuff in the next MS:

though it did not strike me as particularly related in any way to the Voynich MS.
(It does have an elephant too, in the later folios).

RE: How outlandish is the Voynich MS imagery? - EllieV - 22-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 12:09 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Thanks Smile 

There's some more weird stuff in the next MS:

Wow Rene!!! This is great - this manuscript contains depiction of the hell's mouth as a fish. This is the missing link in my theory that the woman being swallowed by a fish is a person being swallowed by the hell's mouth in the purgatory. Thanks so much!