The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Koen G - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 08:53 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.2. Could the Nederlands "Valt den" be used in a text in German instead of "Wenn der/n"? 

"Valt den" to me would mean "falls the", for example "nu valt den bal", now falls the ball. I'm pretty sure assimilation to -d- is possible, though in my own dialect this would certainly assimilate to -t-. But you seem to be thinking about a different meaning of "valt"?

RE: 116v - Searcher - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 09:12 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@Searcher
To draw conclusions about what the first 2 VM words might mean, it would be reasonable to compare them in frequency in the rest of the text.
The more often, the greater the probability of a hit.
And also where they are at the beginning of a sentence, this makes it easier to draw conclusions, preferably with a picture.
I don't understand, which first two words do you mean?

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 03-05-2021

I think you wanted to use the German text to draw conclusions about the VM words, what they might mean.

RE: 116v - Anton - 03-05-2021

My thoughts back in 2015...:

Quote:According to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., aror appears only 20 times with only 6 exact matches, and sheey appears 200 times with 144 exact matches (we cannot totally dismiss inexact matches, because they can be word forms). While sheey is “so-so” (daiin, the most frequent word in the VMS, appears 1393 times with 864 exact matches), aror is a clear outsider.

Another explanation ... assumes that the author encrypted only the most important part of the spell block, for whatever reason. For example, translation from German to Voynichese might have been a very tedious process, so the scribe was lazy to encrypt the whole line.

What would be the most important portion of line 3? Surely, the most informative/specific one. Recall that we expect line 3 to contain instructions on how to use the spell. Recall also that we have not yet confidently located the purpose of the spell. So the possibilities are:
  • quantitative characteristic, like “three times” or “seven days”;
  • qualitative modus operandi, like “wear on the neck”;
  • name of the disease, like “against delirium tremens”.
The exact word form aror appears only in the “balneological” and “recipe” sections. The exact word form sheey is distributed more evenly (appearing as early as in f2r), although with a clear shift towards the balneological and recipe sections too. But in no case, except for You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and f116v, is aror followed by sheey.
We should not dismiss the possibility that aror is something composite, for example a two-digit numeral. Note that ar has 352 exact matches and or has 366 exact matches. However, arar has only 7 exact matches, oror – 5 exact matches, and orar – 10 exact matches, all those not earlier than You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (the supposed arar in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. looks rather like “ar.ar” to me; again, due to the uncertain spacing it is not clear whether e.g. “ar.ar” is meant to be the same as “arar” etc.). Within the framework of the “numeral” assumption, aror would most probably mean something beyond 10, because Roman digits would not yield such low frequency of composites. However, large numbers are less likely to be used with spells. (If you need to cast the spell too many times, then you begin to doubt its effectiveness, you know).

Interestingly, ... ar and or are both frequent words, and constructing, e.g., “13” from “1” and “3” is trivial. Although that still does not explain why the remaining portion of line 3 is not encrypted (even if Voynichese encryption is not applicable to German, then why not express line 3 in a language to which Voynichese is applicable, and encrypt it?)

I admit that all the above considerations in favour of the “numeral hypothesis” are quite speculative and were not put under a broader check. One good test would be a frequency analysis of digits and numerals in 15th century manuscripts.

Anyway, this “aror.sheey” in the beginning of otherwise unencrypted line 3 certainly deserves serious attention.

(03-05-2021, 09:14 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I think you wanted to use the German text to draw conclusions about the VM words, what they might mean.
No. On my subjective opinion, these two words are written by another man, and it is not connected with the plain text. But it's only my view.

It would be worth examining the ink and the cut of the nib tip for differences. Possibly also the nib guidance.

@Helmut
In the South, Geis is spelled with "ai".
I know that, I am a citizen of Gais.

Werbung  Big Grin
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

One more question: could "val8en / pal8en" be "palsen", meaning "balsam"?
Can "balsam ob[e]ren" or "balsam probieren" be correct and / or meaningfull?

An interesting region - Carinthia.

RE: 116v - Helmut Winkler - 04-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 10:00 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@Helmut
In the South, Geis is spelled with "ai".
I know that, I am a citizen of Gais.

Werbung  Big Grin

I know, and in some parts of SGermany Gas with a long a is Geis or Ziege