The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: [Essentials] Counts discussion - Aga Tentakulus - 01-11-2020

A writing combination and the word
"valsen" in german ( falls ein ) if a

RE: 116v - Anton - 01-11-2020

Post moved to the appropriate thread.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 01-11-2020

These kinds of contractions may be what we need to look at. What's the source and context?

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 01-11-2020

The most common ligature that resembles Sh/ch is the general-purpose Latin scribal convention that variously represents er/re/ce/cr/cc and also ct/tc/te/te in older texts (14th century and sometimes early 15th century). It is also used for ci/ti in scripts where the scribe tends to not dot the "i".

It's very common. When it has an apostrophe, it usually represents "cer___", "circ____" or "circa". It is found in both Latin and vernacular texts.

The one Aga posted doesn't match as well as the one I just described because Aga's example has a downfacing tail at that end that doesn't occur on Sh/ch.

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 01-11-2020

RE: 116v - Searcher - 27-04-2021

What if the second line is a mix only of two languages: Latin and Greek (in Latin transliteration)?
ανχητον όλα dabas μίλτος τε τάρ tere portas
I just think that όλα is not a correct form of the word, possibly, sribe's mistake. So, perhaps, it must be:
ανχητον όλο dabas μίλτος τε τάρ tere portas
(you added all anchiton, ochres, and so, rub gates [...])
I'm not sure, but it looks like anchiton is in accusative singular, but miltos - accusative plural. Is it strange?
Nevertheless, I have another idea about ola. Sometimes people not well familiar with a certain language misspell them as much that they can write and say them even backwards. So  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ((in lists) = as well, besides, too) could be transformed into ολλα and simplified to ολα. Maybe, it sounds incredible, but, as for me, it would make sense in this case even better:
+
ανχητον You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. dabas μίλτος τε τάρ tere portas
(+ anchiton, besides (as well), you added [two?] ochres, and so, rub gates [...])
I need to note that τάρ (and so)  is usually used  without τε (and), as it already contains this conjunction in itself τε+άρ, but I found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., although I don't understand them. It's likely also an erroneus spelling.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 27-04-2021

This reminds me of superstitions where they would rub something on doorframes to ward off evil or whatnot.

What I wonder about this proposal is whether it would have been likely for someone to write Greek in Latin script. Maybe only if they were non-native speakers?

RE: 116v - Anton - 28-04-2021

(27-04-2021, 11:04 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.whether it would have been likely for someone to write Greek in Latin script.

Perfectly possible. Especially if the spell is conveyed by hearsay, the meaning of the original words is lost, and the writer does not fully understand it.

RE: [Essentials] Counts discussion - Searcher - 28-04-2021

(01-11-2020, 12:56 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A writing combination and the word

Does it make sense as "val den probren" ("fall[s] den propren")? Thanks in advance.

RE: [Essentials] Counts discussion - Helmut Winkler - 28-04-2021

(28-04-2021, 01:12 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(01-11-2020, 12:56 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A writing combination and the word

Does it make sense as "val den probren" ("fall[s] den propren")? Thanks in advance.

It is "palden probiren", as I postrd a long time ago. What many see as a 'v' is a 'p'