The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 17-03-2020

We speak it with a long "u," so I'd probably write "luuter." But to explain it is as dumb as it is "sämig"

RE: 116v - RobGea - 20-05-2020

In the wee small hours, i saw this, pareidolia, but even so.
Can you see it ?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: 116v - RenegadeHealer - 20-05-2020

(20-05-2020, 12:55 PM)RobGea Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In the wee small hours, i saw this, pareidolia, but even so.
Can you see it ?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I'm seeing the latter but not the former. The latter is definitely something intentionally written. I wonder if it could be one of those "missing letters" macrons that medieval scribes used.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 20-05-2020

I have seen such markings at various other places. They look so convincing, until you realise you're way zoomed in and what you're looking at is 1/3 the size of a normal glyph.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 21-05-2020

There are a lot of messy marks and hints of previous text or drawings between lines 1 and 3. It makes you wonder if something was there before that was erased in order to add later writing:

There are similar marks under the last line, on the left-hand side (I'm pretty sure the marks on the right-hand side are bleed-through from the recto).

RE: 116v - ReneZ - 21-05-2020

That may just be stains. This is one of the pages that was subjected to multispectral imaging, and the only thing it showed up was the writing on the other side.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 21-05-2020

Can Tepenecz be seen on the verso side in the multispectral scans?

116 is pretty thin, so the bleedthrough can be seen with the unaided eye, especially on the right-hand side.

I'm wondering how much text is visible through the parchment in multispectral scans. I imagine it would vary greatly depending on the thickness of the skin and the darkness of the ink.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 09-06-2020

Today I learned of the Spanish "word" mijitos, which I can only assume is a contraction of "mis hijitos". I think a modern translation would be something like "my sweethearts".

Writing things like this (colloquial contractions of words) as one word is not common today, but it was extremely common in the middle ages, especially when pronouns and articles were involved.

You need experience with the language and a bit of context to understand these correctly, so as we have discussed before, an unexpected contraction might make it really hard for us to read these marginalia.

RE: 116v - davidjackson - 11-06-2020

Mijito (my little son) or Mijita (my little daughter) is American-Spanish slang, however. Lexico.com dates it to only 1927. Just listening to the word sounds Mexican Tongue
Those contractions really only appear in Spanish slang when it's being mixed with English or French, especially in American-Spanish.
The Spanish, especially the southerners, like to contract and run words together when speaking, but not when writing.  Voy pa' ya, I'm going there, for example. It should be me voy para allá.
My wife (southern Spanish) just reminded me that a closed mouth catches no flies, which goes some-way towards explaining why they have to mutter all the time.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 11-06-2020

No mames wey!

The little Spanish I know, I learned in Mexico  Big Grin
In this case the writer was a Colombian cyclist. I just added it as an example of how  contracted words can become strange and untransparant if you don't know the language or context very well.