The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 14-03-2020

It seems reasonably clear that the word after six is "marix" but in the next one, the third letter doesn't really look like the other "r" chars. It looks more like a broken "c" (with a pen skip across the top) except that the bottom doesn't pull to the right as much as the others.

I can't tell what it is. I know I've written is as "morix" but I'm pretty sure that is not "r". It's closer to "c" but is not really a very good "c" either. I don't know how to interpret it.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 14-03-2020

It could be "r", for example in marix the diagonal stroke is hardly there.

Also the "r" shape is variable, compare "tere" and "marix". Unless tere is something like teve..

I agree the diagonal stroke is hardly there in the "r" chars, it's a particular style where it is written almost as two parts amd WITHIN that style, the "r" is actually fairly consistent form word to word. It's always three strokes plus dot. The third stroke is almost invisible on some, but even on those, you can see the intention before and after in terms of proportion and direction.

serif-downstroke-anglestroke(sometimes very light or skipped)-dot

But "mocix" has a curved left stroke like a "c" shape, it's a rounded shape, not a straight stem as on all the other r chars. It's not three strokes. It's curve plus dot and interacts (directionally) with the dot in a different way. It doesn't look like "r". It's more like "c" (or a bad "e"), but it doesn't look like a very believable "c" either.

Great now suddenly I can't read it as an "r" anymore  Wink

Can't it be "movix"?

RE: 116v - Helmut Winkler - 14-03-2020

I think it is six + marix + morix + vix, I have no doubt from what the 'Schriftbild'/characters look like and to me, the sound is right

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 14-03-2020

I'm about to join Helmut.
The optics are right, for the ear it is also right as a rhyme.
One has already read quite a bit about this kind of saying. And at the end still another "Maria" because one should not swear.

Rhyme is assumption. I wouldn't make that kind of assumption.

------------------------
As for movix, Koen, I think that's as good a guess as mocix. The shape doesn't really seem to favor one or the other. It doesn't look like any medieval letter to me, so if it is a letter, it's mangled or some of it is missing.

I have been thinking about the group of letters between the vix and the maria, could it be + abca +, meaning abracadabra? abracadabra is known since late antiquity, I do not know if someone els has read it this way

(14-03-2020, 10:18 AM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I have been thinking about the group of letters between the vix and the maria, could it be + abca +, meaning abracadabra? abracadabra is known since late antiquity, I do not know if someone els has read it this way

I think there's a dotted i in there. Look at vix, it has a similar faint diagonal above the i. This page seems to suffer from faint diagonals overall.

(14-03-2020, 10:14 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Rhyme is assumption. I wouldn't make that kind of assumption.

------------------------
As for movix, Koen, I think that's as good a guess as mocix. The shape doesn't really seem to favor one or the other. It doesn't look like any medieval letter to me, so if it is a letter, it's mangled or some of it is missing.

It really looks like an r when you compare it with the r in marix and the v in vix.

I have been thinking of rhyme myself, that is why I said the sound is good, it sounds very medieval