The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Anton - 28-02-2020

Nevermind! On the contrary, it gives us hope that something is still to be found.

RE: 116v - bi3mw - 29-02-2020

(28-02-2020, 08:36 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Architon might be worth investigating.
I found this about Architon:
Quote:[Image: architon.png]
Grubmüller, Klaus u. Schnell, Bernhard, Texte und Textgeschichte, Band II, Text A-C, Niemeyer, 1988, p. 203

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 29-02-2020

It doesn't look like the other "r" chars BUT let's say for the sake of research that it is a slightly malformed "r".

The other "r" characters on this folio have long leading serifs (the long "approach stroke"), so it would be consistent in that way. However, the end-knob doesn't usually face down, but it still seems reasonable to me to consider "architon" as a possible interpretation.

It might not be the right one, we don't know yet, but I'm in favor of lists of possibilities until we know more, so it seems worth exploring.

RE: 116v - ReneZ - 06-03-2020

Another interpretation of f116v:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 06-03-2020

Thanks, for the link, Rene. I have some thoughts about the content...

• Reading long-ess as "f" makes no sense at all.
  • He's reading several of the clearly written "r" letters as "v". It's a specific style of "r" where the right stroke is disconnected from the stem, but many scribes wrote it this way in the 15th century.
  • There is no "a" in front of the "x" in marix morix (I don't understand why someone would add an "a" letter here).
  • I don't think the "x" in six, marix, morix is disputable. It's not the most common shape for "x" but it IS a standard shape and clearly and consistently written.
  • I'm not sure how the author gets "alka". There is only one ascender, not two, and everyone in the 14th to 16th century wrote "k" with a long ascender. It is a strangely written word (it looks like the "i" shape started out as something else and got corrected partway through, but it doesn't look like "lk".
  • The larger letter at the end of the 2nd line might be M or N. It's not certain without more context. I'll blog about this when I have time. Both letters were sometimes written this way (the uppercase versions were harder to distinguish from each other than lowercase "m" and "n").
I don't think we can say lines 2 and 3 are Latin. I DO think they are consistent with sounds and structures in Romance languages (as opposed to Germanic), but it doesn't have to be Latin. Latin seems more likely than others, but "portas" is a word in several languages and "six + morix + marix + vix" might be charm words, in which case they don't have to mean anything, they might simply be Latinesque rather than meaningful Latin.

Also, we don't know what "vix" is. The middle letter looks like a Voynich glyph, which means it's not necessarily the letter "i".

It's difficult to interpret "valden/valsen/palden/palsen" because a figure-8 letter in the middle of a word can be either d or s and there are signs of erasure under the words, so the first letters might be "p" with erased stems. We probably need to figure out more of the overall intention before we'll know for sure how to interpret these.

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 06-03-2020

The old song from 116.
When I hear the words "cere, portas, obren, ...+ria, ???pfer,"
and compare them with the words " milros, re, anchiron" they are not the same "r".
So I must assume it's "anchiton, miltos, te".
I think they are two different letters.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 06-03-2020

Professor of philosophy in Paris, could be an interesting perspective. I hope he sticks around and doesn't get spooked by theorists..

RE: 116v - Anton - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 10:33 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Reading long-ess as "f" makes no sense at all.

I posted above that the long-ess in "six" might be an "f" instead.

RE: 116v - Helmut Winkler - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 02:29 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(06-03-2020, 10:33 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Reading long-ess as "f" makes no sense at all.

I posted above that the long-ess in "six" might be an "f" instead.

No question if it makes sense or not, the f looks nearly always the same as the long s, but it always has a small hook or crosstroke in the middle or upper half of the letter, ypu can be assured it is a long s.

RE: 116v - Anton - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 05:14 PM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.No question if it makes sense or not, the f looks nearly always the same as the long s, but it always has a small hook or crosstroke in the middle or upper half of the letter

Exactly, I pointed to the supposed traces of the crossstroke.