The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 11-01-2020

In English we say "mash" or "mush" for something that's all mixed together, especially if it's something like porridge which is a mixture of powders or grains and some liquid.

That's why I wondered whether mandelmich might be mashed almonds (marzipan), but when I looked up several sites that had it, it turned out they were talking about almond milk, not almond mash and it was probably just a mis-typed word.

But, misch did remind me of mash.

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 11-01-2020

"misch" is a command form.
"misch es" mix it. "shuffle it" mix it.
After it's mixed, you have porridge.
No matter how it's rotated, I'm still me is me and milk is milk.
No more than a goat ever will.
Because it's not a "g," it's a "tz."

"misch" ist hier eine Befehlsform.
"misch es" mix it. "misch dä Brey" misch den Brei.
Nach dem mischen hast Du Brei.
Egal wie es gedreht wird mich bleibt mich und Milch bleibt Milch.
Genau so wenig wird es je eine Ziege werden.
Weil es kein "g" sondern ein "tz" ist.

End of the announcement

RE: 116v - Searcher - 11-01-2020

(11-01-2020, 07:09 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view."misch" is a command form.
"misch es" mix it. "shuffle it" mix it.
After it's mixed, you have porridge.
"misch" ist hier eine Befehlsform.
"misch es" mix it. "misch dä Brey" misch den Brei.
Nach dem mischen hast Du Brei.
Thank you all for the answers!
My thought is: what if the word "gasmich" is something like salzmisch (salz misch)? 
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view...., 1623:

Diese Extraktion der Salium oder Salz misch unter einander.

This extraction of the salium or salt mix together.

RE: 116v - Searcher - 11-01-2020

(11-01-2020, 03:22 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Diese Extraktion der Salium oder Salz misch unter einander.

This extraction of the salium or salt mix together.
Thanks! I don't know German absolutely, Google Translate doesn't help still.  Smile
It seems we can talk about this endlessly. So, 
1) if it would possible that the word "gemisch" somehow was speled as "gamisch" (a mix, mixture), I would suppose that the scribe could have problems with dyslexia (disgraphia), and just rearranged letters;
2) if the scribe suffered from dislexia, or just distraction, or just had stange manner of abbreviation, the word "gasmich" quite could be "gasmilch", as Rene mentioned. 
[Image: content?id=xmwIAQAAIAAJ&hl=ru&pg=PA301&i...Kkw&edge=0]
Sometimes it is just human imperfection, sometimes it is making of riddles. I think also about that if the scribe intentionally dropped letters, did he do this randomly or methodically?

RE: 116v - Anton - 11-01-2020

If he dropped letters methodically, that's quite another thing which may provide insight into the enciphering technique.

The "pbren" certainly has some letters dropped, although might be a simple abbreviation. The "pox leber", on the contrary, does not drop anything.

Sometimes it happens that things have the same name, but are visually different.
Examples zoology ( bird world ):
Schnapsdrossel, Schluckspecht oder Dreckspatz.
It seems to be interesting that most of them change their appearance during the day.
This realization does not apply however unconditionally to the "dumme Huhn".
So, I wish you all a nice weekend.  Rolleyes

RE: 116v - Anton - 20-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 05:21 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Let me file a question at RG about the "miLch" issue. Maybe some linguist will luckily provide an answer.

Although such questions are not easy to answer.... my question about punctuation marks got 6 reads in 5 years, which gives a rough estimate of the amount of people in the world who could look in the matter.

The milch issue is a bit more popular than punctuation marks, and the question has collected six reads already. Fascinating progress!

In particular, I got a reply from Andreas Kuelzer, prof. for Byzantine studies, Institute of Medieval Research, Austrian Academy of Sciences, who considers that that should be a simple misspelling. But apparently Andreas judges on a general scale (my question did not mention the VMS). I provided some clarifications, so let's wait...

RE: 116v - zamolxe - 26-02-2020

I would like to launch another idea related to "michiton". 

I found in Capelli book (page 171) an abbreviation that looks very similar. If you read it as "inchacon" or "inchaton" it can be the abbreviation for "inchoacione" or "inchoatione".

Based on Latin dictionary it means:
inchoo, inchoare, inchoavi, inchoatus=  
begin/start (work); set going, establish; draft/sketch/outline; enter upon;

The meanings fit well with the position in the text (first word)...

Just another hypothesis...

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 26-02-2020

Quote:...I found in Capelli book (page 171) an abbreviation that looks very similar. If you read it as "inchacon" or "inchaton" it can be the abbreviation for "inchoacione" or "inchoatione".

I don't think there is much doubt that it is letter "i" between the "h" and the "t" in ?chiton.

It is written in the same style as the other "i" characters on the folio, with a long leading serif (sometimes called an "approach stroke"). Some of the i-chars are dotted some are not (it was common to do it both ways), but this one is dotted and it's not touching the letters before or after, so it is very clearly written. I have some data on how many scribes wrote it this way (with the long serif) that I'll post when I have time.

The only part that is ambiguous is the "ni" or "an" or whatever is at the beginning of the word, but the first letter doesn't look very much like an "i" (the first letter is drawn very strangely but I have found a SMALL number that are similar) which makes it difficult to resolve it as "inchoatione".

It might be possible to argue that it is "nichiton" with a loop-n and no dot on the first "i". I can't remember if there are people who have suggested this (maybe Anton?).