The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Anton - 07-01-2020

Here's what Idiotikon has for "umen":

Quote:umhiⁿ, umeⁿ, umfeⁿ, ummeⁿ, ummiⁿ 

1. räumlich

a) Umgebung, umher, herum
b) in der Nähe vorhanden, im Vorrat, im Werke, meist mit 'sein' und 'haben'
c) auf die Seite
d) hin, her, dar, mit Vben der Bewegung
e) zurück
f) Wendung von unten nach oben od. umgek.
g) Bewegung im Kreise herum, Rundgang

2. zeitlich

a) Vollendung, Vergangensein, vorüber, vorbei
b) Wiederholung, wieder

Regarding "abia + maria".

Not sure if what I'm saying is not trivial, but:

1) Abia is a Biblical name, occurs in the Old Testament several times. As i found out, means "my father is Jehovah"

2) "Abia Maria" seems to be a pretty common name in Portuguese, as Google suggests

Don't you think that we'd better split the content of this thread into four separate threads: first line, the spell, last line, and the lab section? Seems a lot of work, but a single thread is getting hard to wade through, especially when different subjects are getting intertwined.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 07-01-2020

Sounds like a plan. Few people are going to wade through these 70 pages, and it's simply too much to discuss in one thread.

The number of pages depends on how many posts per page you set up in your profile, for me it's "only" 14.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 07-01-2020

696 posts does not sound much better  Wink

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 07-01-2020

With regard to a reading of "abia maria", v and b were also frequent transpositions. Some scribes even wrote b and v in almost identical ways except that the v was leaned just slightly backward.

If one reads it as a "v" then one gets avia maria (with ave maria being, of course, very well known).

RE: 116v - Anton - 08-01-2020

I wonder how through all these 696 posts we did not come to the interpretation of "tartere portas" as the gates of Tartar?!

I recall that we discussed that somewhere in the Bible Jesus descended to Hell and locked the doors of the latter, I vaguely remember that was related to anchiton somehow.

Somehow a while earlier Alexander (the legend says, as we also discussed, and I even purchased a book) built the gates to confine the wild tribes and covered them with what was (though quite rarely and most probably through scribal mistakes, as we allso extensively discussed) called "anchiton".

Who were those wild tribes to the enlightened West? They were the tartars, and Russia was labeled as Tartaria on the maps.

Anchiton blah blah, with thee (te) the gates of Tartar (tartere portas) [the person] N hath fixed (fix[it])

RE: 116v - Koen G - 08-01-2020

Tartari portas is apparently a phrase used for the gates of hell, after the Greco-Roman Tartarus. If I'm not mistaken browsing google books on my phone, it was famously used in one of the works by st. Hilary.

Yes that all got mixed in the middle ages, Alexander with Biblical motives and folks living to the east (the tartars, especially with the mongol invasion) with tribes of hell, gog, magog, and all that.