The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Koen G - 07-01-2020

That's interesting. But in that case I can't make sense of the grammar nor the word order. It literally says "take spell me". The word order might be explained if it's translated from or influenced by Latin though.

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 07-01-2020

"sie wiste wol, daz er vil gas
den wurmen werden solde ein as "

[quote] Bauernaufstand von 1401-1408, der sich vom Bodensee bis nach Südtirol erstreckte und den Habsburgern eine bittere Niederlage bescherte. [/ quote]

Das ist interessant. Meinen Sie die You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ?
[/Zitat]

Die Appenzeller Kriege im Allgemeinen Ja.
Nach ein paar Kämpfen formierte sich der "Bund ob dem See", dann ging es richtig los.
Die Aufstände breiteten sich aus. In Deutschland wurden sie schnell unterdrückt (offenes Gelände).
Die verschiedenen Verbände waren von Chur bis Südtirol aktiv.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Der Reim: Sie wussten das er viel ass (gäs = gegessen, von Essen)
wie die Würmer im Ass.

Der Reim: Sie wusste, dass er viel aß (gäs = gegessen, von Essen)
wie die Würmer in Aas.

I should know, it's part of my family history. Family coat of arms since 1372

RE: 116v - ReneZ - 07-01-2020

Well how about this.

"so nim gas mich o"

So take the spell "mich o" and "mich o" simply refers back to "michiton olodabas".

Edit: previous edit deleted :-)

I'm pretty sure it refers to the text above.
But what exactly he means he's not writing.
I'm thinking, for example, of page 66. I suppose it really is about the sleeping sponge. This is where the fumes work. Is it possible that if he heats it up too much, the vapours will blow him away themselves?

Ich bin mir ziemlich sicher das es sich auf den oberen Text bezieht.
Aber was genau er meint, schreibt er nicht.
Ich denke Zum Beispiel an Seite 66. Nehme ich an, es handelt sich wirklich um den Schlafschwamm. Hier wirken die Dämpfe. Ist es möglich, wenn er es zu fest erwärmt, das ihn die Dämpfe selber umhauen ?

RE: 116v - Anton - 07-01-2020

Quote:A related word in Old English is gaest (ghost).

In fact, if you search for "geismich" in Google books, you will get no "geismich" but quite a number of "Geist mich".

But that's how OCR fails; a celtic word would hardly be combined with German.

Quote:Der Reim: Sie wussten das er viel ass (gäs = gegessen, von Essen)

wie die Würmer im Ass.

I think that's a valid interpretation, I have definitely seen "gas" as "gegessen" at Woerterbuchnetz, although cannot find the reference right now.

"as" here is "fleisch eines todten körpers" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I guess "vil gas" is "very soon" here (very soon will become food for the worms). But I haven't read the whole sentence to understand the context. The footnote says "vil gas (= gahes) - 'paulo post" (I can't understand what "'paulo post" is)

Quote:So take the spell "mich o" and "mich o" simply refers back to "michiton olodabas".

That's a novel turn! Very interesting idea!

Aga, I removed your scan, it's not a good idea to share personal document scans on the net, can be used by criminals.

RE: 116v - ReneZ - 07-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 11:20 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Well how about this.

"so nim gas mich o"

So take the spell "mich o" and "mich o" simply refers back to "michiton olodabas".

Edit: previous edit deleted :-)

This is of course based on JKP's suggestion that "gas" could mean 'spell' but I wonder if this is attested in German texts of that period. If so, this would be a straightforward explanation.

One could even imagine that the dots above the "o" are a pointer upwards to the text.

RE: 116v - Anton - 07-01-2020

Quote:This is of course based on JKP's suggestion that "gas" could mean 'spell'

Not really. The "gas" could still mean "quickly", "promptly" and it still would make sense.

When/if/as soon as ... , then take you quickly the "michiton oladabas". The "michiton oladabas" here can designate the spell itself (meaning "use the michitonese spell"), or some thing or substance called "michiton oladabas" (to which the spell also happens to be dedicated).

In the latter variant, "michiton oladabas" can be an "ingredient" (same as with "geismilch") - and would suffer the same deficiency: namely, it's not explained what should happen next. OK, I took the michiton or the goat milk, so what? The recipe appears interrupted in the middle.

Or: the "michiton oladabas" can be the product of the recipe: "when/if/as soon as .... you thus obtain michiton oladabas".

Though I don't favour "michiton" vs "anchiton". It just does not look as "mi", much more as "an".

auch i ton   o la da bad
auch ich tue ein lassen das Bad

I also take the bath  Big Grin

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 07-01-2020

Here is Mandelmich and Rosenwasser (1888), but, do they actually mean almond milk? Or do they mean almond mash (or is Mandelmich a typo for almond milk)?

I'm wondering if it is almond mash (as in almond butter or marzipan). I know that all three of these exist because I've had them, but did they have almond milk in the 15th century? I'm quite sure they had almond mash (they mashed and ground pretty much every kind of nut in the middle ages). Almond mash and hazelnut mash (as in Nutella) were very much part of the culture:

My transliteration: Bei Empfängen nichtpolitischen Charakters werden auch wol Sußignkeiten, sowie Mandelmich und Rosenwasser prasentirt, und zum Schluß hält jeder der Besucher dem Oberceremonienmeister sein Taschentuch hin, welches dieser mit Rosenöl parfumirt.

They are referring to "Mandelmich" as a sweet (Sußigkeiten, sowie Mandelmich). I'm uncertain because almond milk is not particularly sweet unless you add sugar, but marzipan is sweet even without sugar and was definitely used for special occasions. I know German well enough to read it but I do NOT know it well enough to judge whether this is almond milk (spelled unconventionally) or almond mash (marzipan).

(Also, keep in mind, this is published in the 19th century.)