The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Anton - 05-01-2020

Wish it were my MS!..

Now I know what to do when I run out of sugar - just add more honey!

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 05-01-2020

OK, not always. Let's say 99%

We say: the exception proves the rule. Angel

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 05-01-2020

(05-01-2020, 11:13 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

This is either new to me or I don't remember it, but that is very interesting. "So nim gahes mich" = then take me quickly. Perhaps in the religious sense as in God taking one's soul?

I think this is new to me too, but I rather like it. I have not doubt that gahes could be shortened to gas considering that spelling the Middle Ages was often based on the way something was pronounced and "in the provinces" as many people say, dropping syllables (or slurring them over) was common.

(05-01-2020, 11:13 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.This is either new to me or I don't remember it, but that is very interesting. "So nim gahes mich" = then take me quickly. Perhaps in the religious sense as in God taking one's soul?

Well I wrote about that as early as in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and already when I posted about the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. I consulted Lexer about that, but back then I could not decide between "rim" and "nim". Now that we have this template "so nim", the scale turns in favour of "nim", I guess, although "so rim" would also make sense applied to the spell ("rhyme me quickly").

Thanks guys for letting me know that noone reads my blog posts! Confused  Big Grin

@Anton
You're thinking about Ale again. Big Grin
And by the way, I have also written whole treatises, but I have the feeling that nobody reads it. Confused

RE: 116v - Koen G - 05-01-2020

Interesting, I must say I like this better than the whole goats milk thing. It might also explain the line through "gas" as some misplaced macron. Well done 2015 Anton Smile (I read almost everything that comes in the reader but wasn't here yet in 2014-15)

So right, with this template we should expect some circumstance under which the "take me quickly" is supposed to happen. For example "Should I get terminally ill, take me quickly".

Considering that one of the words might be "valsen", it might also be a phrase like "if anything I wrote is false, [may the devil] take me promptly".

Nevermind, just kidding!

That was before this forum was launched and we did not have the Blogosphere reader back then.

But I definitely must have mentioned that somewhere in the thread, a couple of years ago we had a discussion here with Helmut and Thomas Coon about the "goat milk", and I could not miss the opportunity to comment upon the "gas".

" I wrote is false, [may the devil] take me promptly".
He can't if you say 3 Ave Maria first.  Angel

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 05-01-2020

Aga, Yes! In English we might say... "If I give false testimony (If these words be false), so take me quickly." or sometimes... "... may the devil strike me blind."

That really passes the "feel good" test (in terms of meaning and trueness to colloquial sayings), doesn't it?

I really really like this interpretation. I wish I had thought of it. My only reservation is that the "v" shapes still don't look like vees, they look like pees (you can see the tails, they are light, but they are there and the part we can see, looks like the top of "p".

RE: 116v - Anton - 06-01-2020

In Russia we say what can be loosely translated as: "may I sink underground on this very place if... "

I've never thought of that in that light, interpreting the "take" in the sense of "using" (or "casting") the spell, where the spell is impersonated in "mich" (like "take me" on the bottles in the Alice tales by Lewis Carroll).

Something in the vein of "if anything herein written is false, the devil may take me" is a fit ending for a book indeed, for (as Burns has it) "some books are lies frae end to end".

But that leaves inexplicable why the leading portion would be encrypted. Let alone, we don't see any mention of the devil here, and the "o" is left out again. What I like about "o" as the Swiss variant of "auch" is that "auch" = also. Why "also"? Because the spell is complementary to something. That's what my recent blog post is about.