The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 05-10-2019

Thanks to everyone who gave the word "portab"
or portas, portad, portat, whatever.
But if already over 1 word so much can be written, then how does the whole look at xxx thousand, and this if they are still encrypted.
Quote: "I know that I don't know anything, and with that I already know a lot.
No more idea who said that. Was probably a Greek again. But it hits the VM pretty well.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 05-10-2019

Aga, look at the horizontal line that runs through the "b" in "portab". That's an abbreviation symbol (a common one). It's easy to miss, but it's there. You can see it a little more clearly in "manibus" on the second line.

RE: 116v - Helmut Winkler - 05-10-2019

It really is not possible to misread 'portabis' in this case

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 08-10-2019

How far may I go to take individual words as a reference for the origin of the VM ?
Example: "valden"
Is it still german and stands for " val den" ( falls den ) if then.
Or is it rather in Latin to look for "valde" = strong
Can I bring the proximity of the German text to Italy from this? As the crown ( Habsburg ) stands to the battlements ( Northern Italy ) ?

Who can tell me anything about this kind of Latin? Possibly about the origin of Latin. I think it's out of the ordinary.
The word "vallde" is somewhere at the top.

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 08-10-2019

[attachment = 3484] Text:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 08-10-2019

(08-10-2019, 07:52 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[Image: attachment.php?aid=3483]
How far may I go to take individual words as a reference for the origin of the VM ?
Example: "valden"
Is it still german and stands for " val den" ( falls den ) if then.
Or is it rather in Latin to look for "valde" = strong
Can I bring the proximity of the German text to Italy from this? As the crown ( Habsburg ) stands to the battlements ( Northern Italy ) ?

Who can tell me anything about this kind of Latin? Possibly about the origin of Latin. I think it's out of the ordinary.

It might be valsen. In the previous places where the figure-8 character occurs, it seems more likely that it is "s" rather than "d".

It's also possible it stands for either "s" or "d" (this can happen in rare scripts where they don't make a big distinction between the two figure-8 shapes), but "oladabas" seems more clearly to be a "d" without a closed loop and final-ess with a closed loop (both of which are not uncommon).

RE: 116v - nablator - 08-10-2019

(08-10-2019, 07:52 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Who can tell me anything about this kind of Latin? Possibly about the origin of Latin. I think it's out of the ordinary.
Is that (Latin) valde? The l seems doubled. This script is less cursive than most gothic cursive but there are many variants in handwriting. Do you have a source? I would guess 1400-1420.

Good point, nablator. Spelling varied a lot in those days, but I don't usually see Latin "valde" written with something extra between the "l" and the "d" as in Aga's second example.

Let me just find it on the folio...

"...non dei val[?]de in reverenter accepi in os meum qui mala dixi..."

RE: 116v - Helmut Winkler - 08-10-2019

I would like to see a reference myself, Library, shelfmark and URL, no uncommon abbr., and if one of the admins reads this, there should be a rule: no images, no quotations without a proper reference.
And it is 'valide', of course and it is a 'Beichtspiegel', does someone know the English worrd for it? And the Voynich-word is ' 'palden', it is a p, not a v

I also think it's possible that it's "p" rather than "v" with the stem faded out. But then it might also be "palsen".