The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Anton - 20-10-2017

I just found out that "te" is not only ablative, but also accusative.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 20-10-2017

How would one obtain architon from archon? Or is it a shortened word for architecton?

Interestingly, architecton is an overseer at construction works, though I haven't found out yet if it was applied also to other overseers or coordinators. In that case it could be a dedication to the VM mastermind, which would mean that the "author's" name is Oladabas.  Tongue

RE: 116v - Searcher - 20-10-2017

Anton:

Quote:Searcher:

Yes, the problem in referring "multos" to "portas" is that "multos" is masculine while "portas" is feminine. The correct expression in accusative would have been "multas portas".

But that could be a mistake. Searching across google books, I find the expression "multos portus", which is correct neither, is it?
"Multos portus" is correct as the matter is about ports, not gates.  Multos portus - many ports (masculine plural accusative).

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 20-10-2017

Does it say miltos/multos?

Are you sure? Looks like imiltos/imiltod or something like that to me.

For a while, I thought that might simply be a connecting line between the "m" shape and the plus sign, but there's a small gap between them and the "i" is drawn the same way as the one in between the "m" and the ell. In fact both of them are slightly above the baseline (like the ell).

Note that most of the "i" shapes on this folio have a leading serif except for the "i" written as a VMS character in "vix" (as in six/fix, mich, and anchiton).

RE: 116v - Anton - 20-10-2017

"imiltos" is an option, but what is "imiltos"? The advantage of "mult*s" is that that would be a known word.

RE: 116v - Hubert Dale - 20-10-2017

(20-10-2017, 02:59 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.How would one obtain architon from archon? Or is it a shortened word for architecton?

Interestingly, architecton is an overseer at construction works, though I haven't found out yet if it was applied also to other overseers or coordinators. In that case it could be a dedication to the VM mastermind, which would mean that the "author's" name is Oladabas.  Tongue
Hi Koen,

'Archicos' is the Greek adjective formed from (or cognate with) the noun 'Archon'.  So Dr Damschen interpreted it as 'the Ruler', referring to Christ.  See You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

If so, then unless 'oladabas' is a neuter noun, which seems unlikely, it can't agree with 'archicon' and my suggested translation is grammatically impossible.

I get the feeling I'm not only reinventing the wheel, but I'm making it in the wrong shape and colour.

Sad

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 21-10-2017

(20-10-2017, 06:22 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view."imiltos" is an option, but what is "imiltos"? The advantage of "mult*s" is that that would be a known word.

Yes, it is.

But we don't know if that funny glyph with the caret attached to its bottom is an "o" and we don't really know what the last glyph represents. In most languages a figure-8 is "d" or "s" but this isn't most languages. Maybe it's "ae" or "th" or something along those lines. Maybe it's a number. We can't even be 100% certain that's a "t". It probably is but... it might be "c" (imilcos).

We're making a whole nest of assumptions in order to turn it into a real word, but there are other "words" on the page that don't resolve into real words. so maybe this one doesn't either.

RE: 116v - bi3mw - 21-10-2017

(20-10-2017, 10:59 AM)Hubert Dale Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.... And I'm sure I read somewhere last night that Dr Damschen had explained 'archicon' as a word derived from the Greek 'archon' meaning 'ruler,' although I can't immediately see where. ...

For the sake of completeness, there are differences in the readings.

reading in 2005:

f116v.1:   + árchicon óla dabás / + multás / + #e + cárcere + pórtas +
f116v.2:   sis + maris + moris + vis + apta + ma+ria +

reading in 2016:

f116v.1:   + árchiton óla dabás / + multás / + #e + cárcere + pórtas + // M(ater)
f116v.2:   sis + maris + moris + vis + ahia + ma+ria +

Quote:"You, vessel, gave (us) the ruler and many doors out of the dungeon. Be the mother of mankind, the power for morality, holy Mary. "

RE: 116v - MarcoP - 21-10-2017

(20-10-2017, 06:22 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view."imiltos" is an option, but what is "imiltos"? The advantage of "mult*s" is that that would be a known word.

I know it's unlikely, but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is another possibility.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 21-10-2017

Has anyone ever suggested that the plummeting rock might be a kidney stone?