The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Searcher - 05-01-2017

(05-01-2017, 04:16 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I made a search across google books to find out what words ending with *cere it was common to link with portas, according to old authors. Expressions found were:

cognoscere portas
carcere portas
patefacere portas
facere portas

I believe that carcere portas has already been considered as a candidate. The problem is that the first letter looks like t, not like c...

Supposing that "t", "a", "r" and "cere" is a one word, we can read this also as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. which are the same as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (Latin). I doubt, it can relate to "portas" (gates), likely, it could relate to "te": "te trahere". It means: to entice you, to get you involved, to attract you (or your attention)  Wink

RE: 116v - Sam G - 05-01-2017

(05-01-2017, 06:04 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I don't know which wavelengths they utilized for f116v, but I'm sure UV has been there.

Re You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - is there a larger image? Could you please post in the respective thread?

I downloaded that from somewhere a while ago (I think it was Nick Pelling's blog, but I don't have the link handy) and I'm not sure if there's a higher resolution available, or who took the picture.  I think that was the best there was.

I've seen some of the photos of 116v based on the multispectral images, but it's not clear which wavelengths they contain or what they are, really.  The UV photo has the advantage of being simple and easy to interpret.

RE: 116v - Psillycyber - 11-01-2017

I just noticed something different upon looking closely right below the top line of f116v.  

Look just below the gap in between "leber" and the next word.  

The vellum looks much more worn here, as if words had been erased.  

Also, I noticed what my eyes fairly surely tell me is a Voynich "8" just above where I have typed 8 in the attached picture.  There might be an "h" and two unknown characters preceding that.  

There might also be a faint "f" just above where I have typed f.  

Thoughts?

P.S. actually, it almost looks like there is another "8" just above and to the right of where I have labelled the "f".  Is anyone else seeing this?[Image: voynich-f116v_zps6cmcpxih.png]

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 11-01-2017

Psillycyber, there are quite a few "ghosts" and rubbed areas on this page, both near the top and also under the block of text... so a couple of years ago, I took the scan of 116r and tried to superimpose it on 116v to see which of the ghosts belong to this side and which belong to the other side and have bled through. It was challenging because the scans are not exactly the same size.

What I discovered was that most of the ghosts under the block of text are bleeding through from the other side. I was not able to determine if the ones you point out are wiped-out marks or something bleeding through.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 13-02-2017

Pox leber umen[s] put pfer?

Umens in Latin is liquid and I have found it in a c. 14th-century Bohemian document as marginalia (in a 15th-century hand) referring to a liquid/potion.

If pox is goat (which is quite possible, as "b" was often rendered as "p" in Bohemia) and it's leber (also quite possible since liver extracts show up in numerous charms/remedies)... then we get "Goat liver potion" or possibly tincture, since many medicines in the middle ages were distilled into tinctures. At any rate, some kind of liquid.

RE: 116v - Anton - 13-02-2017

This "pfer" is something that does not sound good. There's the rub.

(13-02-2017, 10:34 AM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.This "pfer" is something that does not sound good. There's the rub.

In German, pferd is horse. If the last sound were dropped as happens in speech with many words, "pfer" might be possible. Reitpferd is horseback riding. If that first letter is a Saxony "r" instead of a "p" (the Saxony and Anglo-Saxon "r" has a descender). Normally, I would consider that a stretch, but if you look at that lone shape to the top left of the marginalia on the page of the woman lying down with the swollen belly, that's an Anglo-Saxon "r" and "wenns" or "wens" happens to be the Anglo-Saxon word for swellings or tumors.

A major source of fistulas in the middle ages was saddle chafe, especially for men riding in heavy armor or those more lightly dressed who had to travel long distances.

So, this might be a long shot, but one possibility is that it's a prescription/healing charm for a goat-liver ointment/salve/tincture or other liquid to ease saddle sores.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 13-02-2017

Reminds me of how according to popular belief the Tatars used to put a piece of meat under their saddle to make the ride more comfortable.

(13-02-2017, 11:46 AM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Wink Reminds me of how according to popular belief the Tatars used to put a piece of meat under their saddle to make the ride more comfortable.

LOL! Are you sure it was under the saddle?   Big Grin Rolleyes

RE: 116v - Koen G - 13-02-2017

(13-02-2017, 12:01 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.LOL! Are you sure it was under the saddle?   Big Grin Rolleyes

Hey it's folk myth, I didn't come up with it Tongue

Though I guess if you put meat under your saddle it will absorb some of the shocks. Might be better than sitting right on top of a goat liver.