The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 04-01-2017

Has there been any discussion on why "vix" has a Voynich i-glyph rather than the style of "i" used by the marginalia writer (which has a preceding serif and doesn't lean)?

Every time I look at this page I wonder if those three middle lines were written by two or maybe even three hands. Cere is so much rounder, broader, and bigger than the rest and, as just mentioned, "vix" has a VMS i.

Was this patched together?

RE: 116v - davidjackson - 04-01-2017

I've long been a proponent that there are two messages here, line 1 being distinct from lines 2,3,4.

I've also suggested that the page was trimmed at a date posterior to the writing of line 1, and that it was trimmed to the very top of that line of text for some reason.

RE: 116v - Anton - 04-01-2017

Quote:I've long been a proponent that there are two messages here, line 1 being distinct from lines 2,3,4.

I'm of the same opinion.

RE: 116v - Anton - 05-01-2017

I remember that somewhere around here -JKP- proposed that the letter combination before "cere" in the second line is actually the result of uncorrected scribal error. Now what if the space between that combination and "cere" was not meant to be, and all this should be considered a single word ending with "cere"?

"tacere portas" - does that make sense?

RE: 116v - ThomasCoon - 05-01-2017

(05-01-2017, 02:05 AM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view."tacere portas" - does that make sense?

Tacere is usually an intransitive verb (to be silent) and portas (gates) is the object of a transitive verb. But apparently there is a transitive use of tacere: "to pass over [object] in silence". So maybe "to pass over the gates in silence"?

I made a search across google books to find out what words ending with *cere it was common to link with portas, according to old authors. Expressions found were:

cognoscere portas
carcere portas
patefacere portas
facere portas

I believe that carcere portas has already been considered as a candidate. The problem is that the first letter looks like t, not like c...

Now, "carcere portas" is something familiar from the biblical tradition, because when Christ decended to Hell he "crushed the gates of copper and broke the bars of iron". In orthodox Bible it is Psalm 106:16. In catholic it is 107:16:

"For he hath broken the gates of brass, and cut the bars of iron in sunder."

In comments to Bible there has been the established term of "carcere portas aereas" (copper gates of prison).

RE: 116v - Sam G - 05-01-2017

I've been wondering for a while now if anyone's ever looked at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. under UV light.  I get that the multispectral scans are potentially better for all kinds of reasons, but a simple UV photo is enough to reveal the faded/erased words oteeeol aim in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. marginalia:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1054]

It seems like a similar check would be very likely to reveal at least a bit more detail on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. as well...

I don't know which wavelengths they utilized for f116v, but I'm sure UV has been there.

Re You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - is there a larger image? Could you please post in the respective thread?

RE: 116v - Wladimir D - 05-01-2017

ReneZ
Another observation, which I don't believe I ever mentioned before, is that the one or two 'o' characters in 

aror (or ororSheey

are not written in the same way as the o's in the 'plain text' part (in my opinion).
This would suggest that the person writing this was not just imitating the Voynich script for the first time, but knew well how to write it.

Note the word "oladabas". In this word is the only distinct character a-EVA in MV style (in marginalia You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and f116v).
This is intentional or accidental?
1. If, is written intentionally, this word ends "ad" = e + i + e + t3  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 
2. If, the style is applied mechanically with a high probability the author of marginalia was involved in the writing of the manuscript (or at the very least owned a script of the manuscript.)