The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Anton - 09-09-2016

Please don't wander from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. too much.

RE: 116v - Wladimir D - 26-09-2016

Maybe this is a coincidence, but compare these chains with the points that are above the "o".

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 26-09-2016

(26-09-2016, 03:07 PM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Maybe this is a coincidence, but compare these chains with the points that are above the "o".

Wladimir, I need to look at the high-res scans again to be sure, but it looks like the chains in your examples might be "pen stutters" (places where the pen jumped across rough parts of parchment when drawing the descenders).

I never had the impression that the dots on 116v were pen stutters (they look fairly deliberate and they aren't attached to any letters, so they don't appear to be descenders), but I will look at them again this evening to see if there are similarities. It never hurts to check again.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 14-10-2016

I'll just slap this onto this thread. I saw the following in a 15th century Hebrew manuscript, and it reminded me of the circle-with-dots inserted here. I know absolutely nothing about Hebrew script so I don't know what this is. Anyone?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 14-10-2016

(14-10-2016, 08:22 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I'll just slap this onto this thread. I saw the following in a 15th century Hebrew manuscript, and it reminded me of the circle-with-dots inserted here. I know absolutely nothing about Hebrew script so I don't know what this is. Anyone?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I don't have time to look at the original right now. I just popped in on a very short break, but might they be numbers?

RE: 116v - davidjackson - 15-10-2016

From a quick look, is say they are punctuation marks used in classic Hebrew - vowel and stress points, done in a stylised fashion. They are called niquds.

RE: 116v - Davidsch - 16-10-2016

The dots you see are part of the kabbalistic work, but are not part of the text as far i can see.

This page is about some mystical sort of permutations of words/names.

---
  • pp. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. Collection of kabbalistic and magical pieces. Includes, inter alia, Seder Sod Etz ha-Hayyim(pp. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.), spells and charms, among them by R. Jacob Berab [the third] (p. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.), queries, among them by R. Shabbetai (pp. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.), permutations, Holy names, etc.

• pp. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (in a different 17th cent. hand): Spells, including incantation bowels with drawings, instructions to exorcise possessing spirits from the book Or Tzach u-Metzuchtzach, an otherwise unknown tract and a tradition from R. Jacob Berab "may he live" who received it from R. Hayyim Vital.

RE: 116v - sidanno - 20-10-2016

(01-03-2016, 10:43 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Speaking of "Pox leber/leben", I haven't seen anyone suggest that "pox" might mean the same thing it means in the rest of the VMS. This word-token appears at the beginnings of paragraphs.

Or, even if it doesn't mean the same thing, the shapes may be derived from the main document:

[Image: VMSPox.png]

Sorry for the inconvenience

RE: 116v - EllieV - 20-10-2016

(09-09-2016, 07:38 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Also on the rosettes page, many people notice the Ghibelline merlons, but they don't seem to comprehend the importance of the saddleback roofs. They are almost as significant as the merlons! Saddlebacks with the flag on each end were a very specific architectural style that is hard to find outside of certain areas in the 15th century. France, southern Switzerland, Bavaria, a few of the northern Italian (Lombardic) states, and some of the Lombardic and German colonies in the Greek islands are the major areas where you find flagged saddlebacks. Since people walked in the 15th century, it was important to know where to enter a city, or you could end up walking a lot of extra miles. Each culture had a slightly different way of indicating a portal and flagged saddlebacks were primarily Frankish and germanic.
Hi JKP,
the flagged roof finials deserve separate thread. Do you want to start one? If you don't have time I can start it. Either way, it is interesting to find out where and when they appear. Thanks in advance!

RE: 116v - ThomasCoon - 21-10-2016

(20-10-2016, 11:06 PM)sidanno Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[Image: 14523277_798648660277070_664136435325987...e=58960810]

maybe is useful for you the translation of this word in english

Hi sidanno - I'm not familiar with your translation method - could you explain how you came up with "dew, moisture" ?