The Voynich Ninja
Big Red Weirdos - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Big Red Weirdos (/thread-423.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Big Red Weirdos - Davidsch - 29-02-2016

Although i offered much time to these glyphs, i never found an exact match.
The best assumption i also have that they are a crossing between a zodiac symbol and a seagull.
Here a link to my research You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

If you look at my user image, you see a squirrel. The right upper glyph also resembles a squirrel from the side.

However, nowadays i believe the left glyphs represent a (capital or magical) letter of some sort.  But, what exactly i do not know.

RE: Big Red Weirdos - EllieV - 29-02-2016

(29-02-2016, 07:52 AM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I see this part of the first page differently. There was an attempt of the alphabet rebounds, subsequently rinse.

Hi Wladimir, you could be right. In a few months Yale press should be ready with their new VMs book and hopefully in it there maybe more info about the spectrography performed on the manuscript year ago. Hopefully we'll be able to see more clearly some of the erased areas.

RE: Big Red Weirdos - -JKP- - 29-02-2016

(29-02-2016, 06:04 PM)EllieV Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(29-02-2016, 07:52 AM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I see this part of the first page differently. There was an attempt of the alphabet rebounds, subsequently rinse.

Hi Wladimir, you could be right. In a few months Yale press should be ready with their new VMs book and hopefully in it there maybe more info about the spectrography performed on the manuscript year ago. Hopefully we'll be able to see more clearly some of the erased areas.

Bax said he was going to upload more of the spectrographic images but I don't know if he did (they are large). I'm not sure why size hindered the upload, they could be uploaded directly to the server without going through the WordPress software, but many of us were eager to see them.

RE: Big Red Weirdos - ReneZ - 01-03-2016

Please keep in mind that any jpeg (or similar) copy of a multispectral image is only an extract of the original mage to highlight a particular band or set of frequencies, which are then translated to some possibly arbitrary R/G/B combinations.
As such, these images have only very limited use, unless one knows exactly which frequencies are in there, and what they mean....

RE: Big Red Weirdos - Diane - 01-03-2016

Ellie, that's a great example.

Do you know what the symbol signified?  It would be great if it meant [the Spanish for] 'presto' .

In case it should come in handy, this is a list of terms - the Italian ones anyway.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The 'plough and bird' sign was also a symbol of old Kentoripe in Sicily.

Here's another.  Notice the funny-looking thing on the left

I thought this might be of interest, since John of Montecorvino was formerly advisor to Frederick II in Sicily.  Of course the coins are much older.

RE: Big Red Weirdos - -JKP- - 01-03-2016

In Latin, the V with squiggle is usually -ver- or sometimes -vir- if it's midword, but if it's at the beginning, it can stand for versus or verto, as in "verse" or "new section" or "to change" which, in a sense, is similar to a capitulum.

RE: Big Red Weirdos - Diane - 02-03-2016

JKP

Do you think something similar might explain those changes which Emma has recently commented on, as marking the beginning and end of lines in the text?

Or perhaps this isn't the place to ask a text question - if so, do move it, or delete it or whatever.

Thanks.

RE: Big Red Weirdos - Diane - 02-03-2016

Davidsch

Following your link, I was interested to see that you refer to a certain coin.

I love these co-incidences.  I happened to refer to the same region and one of the Kushan-period coins in a post written some time ago.  For those who'd like some easy background, here's the link to that post  - part of my analysis of the map on that "folio formerly known as f.86v" Smile

For those short of time,
here's just the picture:

and, minus all its context and relevance to that section of the map, the accompanying paragraph:

"In regard to Mathura, I might mention a Kushan king who ruled 191 AD to c.225 AD, the last to rule before the opening of the Sassanid period in Persia, and who was named Vasudeva I. On his coins are already elements of older Persian practice mingled with those of   the Greco-Indian world. A similar combination infuses the older strand of imagery in ms Beinecke 408,  as these posts endeavour to describe and set in context".

the ensuing four years' work would only lead me to modify that statement by saying it applies chiefly to the sections which contain the (astronomical/tyche) 'ladies'.

RE: Big Red Weirdos - Davidsch - 07-03-2016

Diane, nice to scan that page (did't find the time to read it all) !

I suggest you check the links on the Ghibellines, those give a "not found".

PS.
It would be very interesting (because i did such for a small part in history)
if you could write a blog/research page solely on the Ghibellines.

When did they first occur, significance, etc.  If you would accept and are interested in doing so,
i have unpublished, fresh and prime material in relation to the VMS that i can give you. 
If so, please write me a PM or normal email.

RE: Big Red Weirdos - Wladimir D - 27-03-2016

The text has a character very similar to the upper part of the Big Red Weirdos. This symbol painters is usually depict smoke (are here perhaps even be used as a – pairs, boiling ...).

In this place was definitely cleaning of sheet.