The Voynich Ninja
Water Lily folio 2v stalk remedy - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Water Lily folio 2v stalk remedy (/thread-421.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Water Lily folio 2v stalk remedy - stellar - 25-02-2016

Before I knew the actual remedies of Water Lily, I found words and phrases within the folio 2v that made me search out the internet its 
purpose for the words I found.  To my amazement the stalk of water lilies treats pus from wounds and soars.

[Image: water-lilly-folio-2v1.jpg?w=1020]

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Water Lily folio 2v stalk remedy - david - 25-02-2016

Your Latin is terrible.
Opes is material weath. Amo is loved. Num is whether. Ruo is to fall down. Etc etc.

Where are you getting these translations from?

RE: Water Lily folio 2v stalk remedy - stellar - 26-02-2016

(25-02-2016, 08:39 PM)david Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Your Latin is terrible.
Opes is material weath. Amo is loved. Num is whether. Ruo is to fall down. Etc etc.

Where are you getting these translations from?
David as you know words can have other meanings!  And these Latin words are here with their meanings.  Thanks for your input!

Latin[font=sans-serif][You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.][/font]
Etymology[You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.]
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. [font=sans-serif]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(“force, ability”), from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. base, whence also Sanskrit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(ápnas, “property, possession”) and possibly Ancient GreekYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(ómpnē, “food”). Related to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..[/font]
Pronunciation[You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.]
  • (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.(You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.): /ops/[ɔps]
Noun[You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.]
ops f ‎(genitive You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.); You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  1. (singular) power to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

2. (plural) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Inflection[You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
Case
Singular
Plural
ops
ops

-------

Latin[font=sans-serif][You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.][/font]
Probably from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. [font=sans-serif]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(“mother, aunt”), a lost nursery-word of the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-type. Compare You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(“aunt”), Old High German You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(“nurse”). Alternatively, O. Hackstein suggests You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(“seize”).[/font]
  • (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.(You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.): /ˈa.moː/

• Audio (Classical)
    [Image: fileicon-ogg.png]

[font='Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans', Arial, sans-serif]MENU

[/url]

0:00
    [/font]

Verb[[url=https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=amo&action=edit&section=35]edit]
amō ‎(present infinitive You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.perfect active You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.supine You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.); You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  1. I You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  [quotations ▼]

2. I am You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

3. I am under You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. to; I am You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. to

4. (with infinitive) to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., be You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

----------------------------------

The accusative singular masculine form of the pronominal stem na-; compare the interjection You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(“truly”, “verily”, “really”, “indeed”). Confer with its feminine form You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., as inYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
  • (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.(You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.): /num/
Adverb[You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.]
num
  1. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (only in the phrase, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. num)

2. (in a direct question) a particle expecting a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Num Sparta insula est? — Non est insula.What, is Sparta an island? — No, it's not.

3. (in an indirect questionYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.    

4. ---------------------------
    Latin[edit]Pronunciation[edit]
    • (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.(You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.): /ˈru.oː/[ˈrʊ.oː]
  5. Etymology 1[edit]From Proto-Indo-European *h₃reu- . Cognate with Ancient Greek ὀρούω ‎(oroúō, “hurry”).Verb[edit]ruō ‎(present infinitive ruere, perfect active ruī, supine rutum); third conjugation
    1. I You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., move You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

2. I You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

3. I You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

4. I You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.; I You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. to the ground.

RE: Water Lily folio 2v stalk remedy - -JKP- - 26-02-2016

If "dain" means "pes" (foot), then every plant, bath, star chart, zodiac, and pretty much everything in the VMS is for the foot.

You can apply pretty much any substitution code to the VMS and come up with combinations that look like words. If you then arbitrarily treat them as anagrams, then you WILL come up with combinations that look like words but it doesn't mean they're the right words or that they make any grammatical sense.

(26-02-2016, 03:34 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If "dain" means "pes" (foot), then every plant, bath, star chart, zodiac, and pretty much everything in the VMS is for the foot.

You can apply pretty much any substitution code to the VMS and come up with combinations that look like words. If you then arbitrarily treat them as anagrams, then you WILL come up with combinations that look like words but it doesn't mean they're the right words or that they make any grammatical sense.

Some words do have many meanings like pes.

Before uploading my work, I parse out many words to find out patterns then I take them to form some sense which is rare in the voynich.  I admit.  But if it comes together by picture and use as information, I post it.  I'm on track I know it!

You are not allowed to view links.
Register or Login to view.
pēs equī (foot of a horse)

[font=sans-serif]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
[/font]

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. [font=sans-serif]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (compare Sanskrit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(pád), Ancient Greek You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ‎(poús) and Old English You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., English You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).[/font]
  • (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.(You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.): /peːs/

• Audio (Classical)
    [Image: fileicon-ogg.png]

[font='Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans', Arial, sans-serif]MENU

0:00
    [/font]

Noun[[url=https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=pes&action=edit&section=27]edit]
pēs m ‎(genitive You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.); You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  1. a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., of a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Ne manus, nec pedes, nec alia membra.‎Not the hands, not the feet, and not the other limbs.

2. foot of a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

3. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

4. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

5. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. attached to a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. for You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. it

6. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of a fruit

7. (poetry) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. foot

8. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

9. a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I think you missed my point.

I wasn't arguing about the interpretation of "pes" as foot.

I was saying that you have taken one of the most common word-tokens in the entire document and applied "foot" to it even though it makes no sense whatsoever for the word to appear so frequently, either in the symbolic context of the illustrations or in a grammatical context.

By arbitrarily anagraming the words, you are imposing your desired results on the data rather than letting the data lead you to the solution.

RE: Water Lily folio 2v stalk remedy - david - 26-02-2016

Stellar, although words have "different meanings" as you put it, you are ignoring the grammar of Latin and appying the definition you like the look of. You can't do that.
Just one example, opês (can't get the bar on this keyboard mapping) and I'll keep it simple.

Opês is the nominative, accusative or vocative plural version of ops. It's the root of the English word opulant and opus, amongst others, not that it matters. It always refers to material weath, and there was even a Roman Goddess of loose change (or something) called Opês.

It does not mean "to help", which is only ever ops in the singular - for example, Fer opem occidenti patriae (Help your own country).

(26-02-2016, 07:48 AM)david Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Stellar, although words have "different meanings" as you put it, you are ignoring the grammar of Latin and appying the definition you like the look of. You can't do that.
Just one example, opês (can't get the bar on this keyboard mapping) and I'll keep it simple.

Opês is the nominative, accusative or vocative plural version of ops. It's the root of the English word opulant and opus, amongst others, not that it matters. It always refers to material weath, and there was even a Roman Goddess of loose change (or something) called Opês.

It does not mean "to help", which is only ever ops in the singular - for example, Fer opem occidenti patriae (Help your own country).

Who knows what the Author of the Voynich Manuscript was thinking and I don't see grammar in it.

(26-02-2016, 07:41 PM)stellar Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Who knows what the Author of the Voynich Manuscript was thinking and I don't see grammar in it.

If you don't see grammar in the VMS, perhaps you should read this which I coincidentally posted today (was meaning to post it several days ago but got busy). The "grammar" (the construction of the VMS "language") is quite strict. This isn't a full article, just a brief intro, but it might be of interest:

RE: Water Lily folio 2v stalk remedy - Diane - 26-02-2016

Hello all,

I know that people have been calling the plant on f.2v a water-lily for a very long time, and that almost everyone feels that it's "something sure".

It can't possibly be a water-lily.

The plant on f.2v it has a single protruding feathery style.   At the base it has a small cap-like calyx, very carefully drawn, and which looks as if it could easily be pulled away.

No water-lily looks like that.

Here's a cross-section diagram of the water-lily nymphaea. Notice how all the outer petals are are the same length as the inner ones: there's never a small 'cup' at the bottom. That's because all waterlilies open during the day and close up within their outer leaf/petals at night.  This could never happen with the plant on f.2v.

and here's the Indian water-lily nelumbo.
 Once again, nothing remotely like the sort of cup, or style that you see in f.2v.

There's no 'male' style at all.

Now contrast with the hibiscus - as example; I don't think it's an hibiscus, either, but this is closer.  It does have a small, cup-shaped calyx is smaller and a single, feathery-looking style.

The plant(s) on 2v remain unidentified.

- surely,  I'm not the first person to have noticed.