The Voynich Ninja
The Rosettes Page - March 2024 - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The Rosettes Page - March 2024 (/thread-4204.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: The Rosettes Page - March 2024 - ReneZ - 20-03-2024

I don't know (option 5), but I do have an idea that is not one of options 1 - 3.
Assuming that option 5 should be read: "I have no idea", I selected 4.

This idea is:
this page explains where the healing power of the medicine (in the six containers in the middle) is coming from.

RE: The Rosettes Page - March 2024 - merrimacga - 20-03-2024

If one accepts that all the sections of the VM are related and the text as a whole has a unifying theme, then the Rosettes page must have a related meaning. Given that the VM focuses predominantly on plants and pharmacopeia followed by astronomy/astrology and balneology, it seems unlikely the Rosettes would be a geographical map or have a religious connotation. If one disregards the castles depicted and zooms out, it looks more like an elaborate process map. It seems to contain pharmaceutical, balneological and astrological elements suggestive of an holistic production process wherein the center is the pharmaceutical end product with the nine surrounding images as elements that feed into each other and into that central production in various ways with additional outlying elements that have some importance as well. It repeats some image elements found elsewhere in the text suggesting the Rosettes may be some sort of diagram uniting and representing the rest of the text. To me it strongly suggests a naturalist philosophy demonstrating the interconnectivity of various elements and their dependence on each other.

Just a theory though. I haven't done any research yet.

RE: The Rosettes Page - March 2024 - Aga Tentakulus - 20-03-2024

I also think that the drawing refers to medicine.
If I put medicine first, I would describe the page something like this.
At the top right is the city with its special problems. For example, cholera caused by drinking water pollution, sexually transmitted diseases, etc. Simply what is more likely to occur in a city than in the countryside. At the bottom right, everything that occurs in the countryside. From being kicked by a donkey to being bitten by a snake.
I call it the worldly diseases.

On the left are the spiritual diseases.
At the bottom, the more spiritual diseases. Simply everything where the brain makes it look like it's not normal.
And at the top, the complete emptiness. Waking coma, or after a severe stroke that nothing works any more. Speaking, walking all gone.
And in the centre, the medicine that everything revolves around. And when that no longer helps, only prayer can help. And that would be God's will with the stars above the vessels.

The whole thing captured figuratively. That's how I see it. Therefore for me Pos.4

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

RE: The Rosettes Page - March 2024 - Mark Knowles - 20-03-2024

(19-03-2024, 10:07 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Again though, I'd like to learn more about which sources you base your views on.

Who is this question directed to?

Some of my sources:
"Medieval Maps" by Professor Paul Harvey
"The Curse of the Voynich" by Nick Pelling
The Itinerary Map from London to Jerusalem by Matthew Paris
A 15th century map of Germania with a T/O map in the corner
And most importantly real geographic features illustrated in photos in the map download(see thread that I have referred to.)

I don't think the page is a copy of another map. I think it was produced specifically for the purpose of illustrating a specific journey taken at a specific time.

It would be interesting to see parallel documents from the time in the case of the different theories as it appears that many of the theories presented have no similar or related documents from the time and are just a function of the theorists imagination.

I think there are a variety of features of the Rosettes Folio which are shared with maps of that time. The blue and white wavy lines are very common way of illustrating water, lakes, rivers and seas. The drawings of many distinct and different buildings distributed as they are is common to maps of that time. The illustration of slopes as we see in the top two causeways is consistent with a geographical representation. Are there any other documents of the time which share these features or any of the other features of the Rosettes Folio?

I think the number of very specific details fit with the page being a map as does the size of the page. A map has lots of specific details and would require a particularly large page to illustrate those details. If you think those details are meaningless then why didn't the author use a smaller page for the drawing. If you think the details are meaningful then you should try to explain them. From what I have observed very few people if any make the effort to explain the specific details.

I terms of its utility I think certain parts of the map illustrate where certain alpine flowers are to be found which ties in with the herbal pages.

Each causeway is drawn differently in its own unique and specific way. Each rosette is drawn differently in its own  unique and specific way. Are those details meaningless or irrelevant or do they need to be explained? I suggest that the author bought that large sheet of vellum as those details were important.

RE: The Rosettes Page - March 2024 - Koen G - 20-03-2024

(20-03-2024, 10:30 AM)Mark Knowles Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(19-03-2024, 10:07 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Again though, I'd like to learn more about which sources you base your views on.

Who is this question directed to?

At pjburkshire. 

The unfortunate thing about threads like these is that we can compare opinions all day long, but it won't really get us anywhere. If I say "I think the rosettes foldout represents a medieval fruit market" and another guy says "no, my opinion is that it represents a calendar of the year 1433", where do we go from there? No matter what the other guy says, he won't convince me that it isn't a fruit market. And no matter what I say, he will keep thinking it is a calendar. Do we keep telling each other about our opinions until one gives in and the other wins? How does this bring us any closer to the truth?