The Voynich Ninja
Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 (/thread-4197.html)

Pages: 1 2

Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - dlandino - 13-03-2024

Good afternoon all. I'm reaching out to inform you of an online, FREE, presentation that the Yale University Library Security Department is offering on the Voynich Manuscript.

THURSDAY MARCH 14th @ 10 AM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

"Everything the Voynich is NOT"
Agniezka Rec Early Materials Cataloger Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Beinecke MS 408, otherwise known as the Voynich manuscript, has vexed readers, historians, cryptographers, and librarians for centuries. Written perhaps in the early 15th century in an unknown script representing perhaps a cipher or a natural language or a hoax or nothing at all, the manuscript has inspired countless theories from countless theorists. This presentation will offer a number of solutions; none of them will be correct (probably). 

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - Lissu - 13-03-2024

Will this presentation be available online later?

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - ReneZ - 14-03-2024

(13-03-2024, 07:51 PM)Lissu Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Will this presentation be available online later?

I for one would appreciate that...

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - merrimacga - 14-03-2024

I just posted this to the site calendar: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

And I plan to attend and, if no one else does so sooner, I will add any additional details provided both here and in the site calendar. Stay tuned.

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - merrimacga - 14-03-2024

The presentation concluded early at 30 minutes. Agniezka Rec recorded the session but I don't know yet if the recording will be publicly accessible. If and when it is, I will post the link.

There were no materials available for download. Attendees were allowed to ask questions but only one was and that was concerning the digitized manuscript and whether there were higher resolution images available (Agniezka denied this but we know there are as has been noted in recent posts on this site). It was a very quick overview of the VM and its history touching on some notables like Rudolph II, Roger Bacon, Marci, Wilfrid and Ethel Voynich, Newbold, William and Elizebeth Friedman, Professor Brumbaugh, Nicholas Gibbs, Gerard Cheshire and Claire Bowern. It otherwise focused on refuting things like decipherment claims and Bacon authorship.

Earlier this week, as part of Yale Security Week, there was a talk on Provenance Research given by Lucy Mulroney and Antonia Bartoli that might have been of interest to some on this site. Hopefully, this was also recorded and will be publicly available. On Friday, there will be a talk that may be of interest to some on this site that will be given by E.C. Schroeder titled Book, Manuscripts and Forgeries. I will add it to the site calendar and create a discussion thread for it as soon as possible. Hopefully this evening.

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - merrimacga - 15-03-2024

E.C. Schroeder's presentation today has been cancelled. Sorry everyone.

Stay tuned regarding the Voynich presentation and the one I mentioned on manuscript provenance. I am working on getting the recording links for those. I am also checking to see if they would be interested in repeating their presentations for us on Voynich Manuscript Day. Wish me luck.

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - Koen G - 15-03-2024

Agniezka Rec gave a good presentation, which seemed to be especially aimed at people who are perplexed by the number of certain claims about VM decipherment (and the ones making those claims, but good luck getting through to those).

One suggestion for the organization: at one point it looked like the audience would be allowed to ask questions. Then one question was asked, about whether the Beinecke is withholding higher quality scans) and then the presentation was cut short immediately. This was kind of weird and unusual. 

I'm always happy with any kind of expert Voynich talk though, so thanks to the library security department for organizing this!

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - Anton - 16-03-2024

For me the announcement was a bit late (saw it only today), but anyway these kinds of announcement are of course most welcome and appreciated.

(By the way, it is better to post them in the News subforum designed specifically for such kind of things).

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - merrimacga - 16-03-2024

And post to the site calendar as well. Posting both a thread in the appropriate forum and posting an event to the calendar and then including the link to the other in each provides the greatest visibility. Guest users visit the calendar a lot. We may not always get sufficient notice and attendance is always tricky between people's work schedules and time zones so it's also important to post recording and download links afterwards whenever available.

Speaking of, I'm still working on getting that for this presentation.

RE: Yale University Free Discussion on MS-408 - Koen G - 18-03-2024

One thing Agniezka mentioned when talking about the radiocarbon dating of the manuscript is that the vellum can be dated to 1404–1438 with 90-something percent certainty and to a narrower date range with ?? percent certainty. Does anyone have these numbers? I had never heard the narrower date range mentioned before.