The Voynich Ninja
The containers in the Pharma section - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The containers in the Pharma section (/thread-406.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Searcher - 10-08-2018

The whole MS 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Davidsch - 10-08-2018

@Marco, I saw your references to what you call 'mnemomic bible', that book is a so called "Buch der Heiligen Dreifaltigkeit". (BdHD).

For those interested, I mentioned some of the old versions You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Wanted to investigate more, but there are already so much good books on it. 

Bought the full transcription of Uwe Junker, Das 'Buch der Heiligen Dreifaltigkeit' in seiner zweiten, alchemistischen Fassung (Kadolzburg 1433), (Kölner medizinhistorische Beiträge 40), Köln 1986, S. 368, and then you actually have everything.

Also Susanne Rischpler, Biblia Sacra figuris expressa: Mnemotechnische Bilderbibln des 15. Jahrhunderts(Wiesbaden 2001), has written much on it.
But she wrote so many interesting things in other publications as well. (However, I suggest you read F. Yates first, for a good understanding)

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - MarcoP - 11-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 03:18 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@Marco, I saw your references to what you call 'mnemomic bible', that book is a so called "Buch der Heiligen Dreifaltigkeit". (BdHD).

Something must have mislead you, David: the two works are quite different.

As you know the "Buch der Heiligen Dreifaltigkeit" (Book of the Holy Trinity) is an alchemical treaty written in German. The book contains several illustrations, largely inspired to Christian imagery, but most of it is text. This example is from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. that bi3mw mentioned You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

The "mnemonic bible" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ("Bible in mnemonic form" according to the library site) pointed out by Vviews and linked by myself above is a religious work written in Latin. It mostly consists of illustrations, there are many hundreds of square and triangular illustrated boxes. All the pages share a similar, very distinctive layout. The text is limited to titles (in red) and labels (in black), both being derived from the Vulgate Bible: the content is not original, it's the same stuff you find in any bible, what is innovative is the way the material is presented.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - MarcoP - 19-04-2019

A mechanical device from Secretum De Thesauro by Giovanni Fontana (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).
I find the elaborated foot particularly interesting. It is not paralleled in VMS cylindrical containers, but it could be in some of the more complex footed jars.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Aldis Mengelsons - 20-04-2019

(19-04-2019, 08:59 AM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A mechanical device from Secretum De Thesauro by Giovanni Fontana (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).
I find the elaborated foot particularly interesting. It is not paralleled in VMS cylindrical containers, but it could be in some of the more complex footed jars.

Good idea! anyway, words on the "jar "mean "something unique".I just afraid that the teacher will talk on this page about education and how to get his knowledge into our skulls again.In60 pages i didn't see any word about mechanics.
If you have a time,try to find something in Japanese culture....the sixt scholar was from Japan...
Good luck!

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - VViews - 28-07-2019

Rows of containers to the right of the portraits of Galen and Hippocrates, Anagni Cathedral crypt fresco, 13thC:

[Image: GettyImages-154714670.jpg]

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - ReneZ - 28-07-2019

Some of them look like microscopes...

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Koen G - 28-07-2019

A very nice match for the simpler types.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - -JKP- - 29-07-2019

They look a lot like reading tubes and would be the right size if the juglike containers are the small phials, but since they are drawn at the same scale as the two rows of jugs, and the jugs might be intended to be something bigger than phials, I wonder if they are albarellos, like the ones that are mostly straight-sided. Or possibly the wooden kind. Here are some examples of straighter styles of containers:

[Image: f7355f3c618afdcefc353ea6a6b759e3--apothe...symbol.jpg]  [Image: 220px-Albarello_MUMIA_18Jh.jpg]  [Image: pp0000000284004.1282332005.jpg]  [Image: deliveryService?id=NMAH-AHB2011q05146&max=550]  [Image: 6320b0ccacd959830cb5c7f407e8ced7.jpg]  [Image: 1452294461_64dfe17b0e.jpg]

Decorative patterns of horizontal lines were common on these jugs but the drawing isn't good enough to tell if the lines are decorations or functional (like lids or tube portions).

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - ReneZ - 29-07-2019

Of course I know there there are no microscopes in this illustration, and indeed the simple ones look quite similar to those in the Voynich MS. Or rather the other way round.

The point is that, to a modern observer, at least one of them really looks a lot like an old microscope.
For this 13th century fresco, nobody would of course ever suggest that it was intended to represent one.