The Voynich Ninja
The containers in the Pharma section - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The containers in the Pharma section (/thread-406.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - -JKP- - 04-11-2017

This is 17th century Bayreuth, so it's not early, but it's nevertheless interesting, a drawing of an alchemical furnace in the Wellcome library:

[Image: 69d9579eb7b7897237cb9557ee7fbde4.jpg]

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Wladimir D - 01-02-2018

At the bottom of page f89r1 two cans are clearly drawnYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  . There is a small bank in front of the picture, and a large one at the back. It seems to me that the artist tried to draw them on the principle of "matryoshka", when a small jar is inserted into a large jar.

Another option - a Y-shaped design with two parallel banks is less likely.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - -JKP- - 01-02-2018

Wladimir, I have the same feeling as you about this particular container (on the left), that the illustrator was trying to show something inside another, and it's possible that it's wood (there were many lathe-turned containers in this time period), but I was leaning toward it maybe being glass or some other transparent material (sometimes jade was carved very thin and was translucent but overall it doesn't look like jade and large pieces of jade were rare).

I have a particular interest in Bohemian glass (I have a number of antique pieces) and studied some of the glass when I was traveling through Hungary and the Slavic countries, so I looked into the history of Murano glass (which was created by both Bohemian and Italian artisans) and there was some more advanced glass in the 15th century, but not very much of it (it was rare and very expensive). Most of it was not terribly sophisticated until the Renaissance. Beads have been made since Phoenician times, but larger glass pieces, especially colored ones, tended to come later.

I did, however, find some glass pieces from the 15th century that are rock crystal. They were not usually rounded (mostly squared-off), so the possibility of the VMS container being glass is not strong, but it is possible.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - -JKP- - 15-06-2018

pesach haggadah containers

[Image: 98411aac5e35a51f27e657bfa3c9f2d9.jpg]

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Koen G - 15-06-2018

Remarkable items JKP. Do you know more about the MS?

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - -JKP- - 15-06-2018

(15-06-2018, 10:40 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Remarkable items JKP. Do you know more about the MS?

Unfortunately, Pinterest creates a barrier between the original and the person searching (Google gives Pinterest search priority and sometimes doesn't even index the original). I usually screen pinterest out of my searches, but sometimes I forget and I come across something like this which, of course, does not link to the original.

I know it's not the one in the British Library and I don't think it's the Yahuda Haggadah (illustrated by the same person as the Nuremberg II), the drawings seem a little finer than the Yahuda. I'm familiar with most of the digitized medieval Haggadah manuscripts but don't specifically recognize this one.

It might be Schocken MS 24087 (which has similar drawings and a pale background). Unfortunately, I don't think there's a full scan of the Schocken Haggadah. Sorry I can't be more specific. When I first saw it, I tried unsuccessfully to find the source. Whether there's more information now, I don't know.

Or possibly Inv. No. JMP 013.352 (which at one time was housed in Prague) which has fairly fine-textured drawings. As far as I know this one is also not available online, except for exerpts.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - MarcoP - 08-08-2018

This image is from f.26r of the "mnemonic bible" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (Germany, late XV Century) that VViews mentioned You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

The illustrated passage appears to be Book II Paralipomenon (Books of Chronicles) 9

9.Dedit autem regi centum viginti talenta auri et aromata multa nimis et gemmas pretiosissimas; non fuerunt aromata talia ut haec, quae dedit regina Saba regi Salomoni.

9.Then she [the queen of Sheba] gave the king a hundred and twenty talents of gold, and a very great quantity of spices, and precious stones: there were no spices such as those which the queen of Sheba gave to King Solomon."

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Koen G - 08-08-2018

Thank you, Marco. It's been a while since I've seen sometging so potentially relevant. 

I'm abroad right now and can't research too much unfortunately. Do you think those are literal spice containers? Or constructed mnemonic images?

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - MarcoP - 09-08-2018

(08-08-2018, 09:21 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Thank you, Marco. It's been a while since I've seen sometging so potentially relevant. 

I'm abroad right now and can't research too much unfortunately. Do you think those are literal spice containers? Or constructed mnemonic images?

My guess is that these reproduce actual objects, within the limits of the artist's skills.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Searcher - 10-08-2018

The Yahuda Haggadah, 1470-80, Franconia, Southern Germany (The Israel museum, Jerusalem). 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
This is likely another manuscript, but the represented page from it also shows similar containers.