The Voynich Ninja
The containers in the Pharma section - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The containers in the Pharma section (/thread-406.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - VViews - 14-02-2016

This is from an illustration of a Seder meal, 1340 Spain. (Haggadah, BL # Additional 14761, folio 28v)
On the table, second object from the right...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

and from Germany, 1460, (Haggadah, BL Additional 14762, folio 6)
The tall golden container on the far end the table...

MarcoP: beautiful images of the Besamim!

Diane: To add images, what I do is put the image in my wordpress media library (they don't have to be part of a post) which then gives it a URL. There may be an easier way though!

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - EllieV - 15-02-2016

The containers may have been wood or clay. The simple one look like apothecary jars.

Some have funny similarity to end of 15th century pictures of cannons

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - MarcoP - 15-02-2016

Thank you Ellie!
I find this illustration particularly interesting, since it has the same shape as the wooden boxes in Rene's first post: a perfect for the two at the top of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. I see it is from Dresden, 15th Century. Do you have any more information about it?

Some of the Voynich containers are really weird. I think this subject is an adequate challenge for you great image hunting talent!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=95]

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - david - 15-02-2016

Those square apothecary jars with a round lids are still common ornaments in pharmacies across Spain, and have been used for hundreds of years.

[Image: T-2771+9682.JPG][Image: d18650d8aa829f6abfc2aa9002ba9b7c.jpg]
I was once in a pharmacy in Granada that had jars that were hundreds of years old, very similar to the ones above
Although I understand that they're made in China to order nowadays...

I think these are just regular albarello

There are also couple of cups that look Venetian- late 15th century. They used to give them as gifts to royals - so they are found in museums all over Europe.  I think Nick Pelling was investigating the Murano glass.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - MarcoP - 15-02-2016

(15-02-2016, 10:00 PM)EllieV Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I think these are just regular albarello

Thank you, Ellie. In the case of the Dresden ms, this seems very likely.
The Voynich illustrations are somehow different: the bottom is slightly wider than the middle cylinder, while in the albarelli the bottom is slightly narrower. I don't remember seeing albarelli with a wider bottom (but I will search some more).
The Dresden illustration apparently is too small to reproduce this level of detail.

Thanks also for the Venice works!

or maybe German jasper cup - they also show some ribbed designs.
Anyway, the fancy cups do not give a feeling of a poor apothecary shop. The author probably had a wealthy patron.

Then there is the "Faberge cup" Smile probably mounted ostrich egg or coconut

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - ReneZ - 16-02-2016

The image of the more elaborate ivory stacked container of Rudolf is hard to find back on the net....

There is a nice collection of similar-looking objects in the Rosenborg castle in Denmark:

These would seem to be purely ornamental.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - MarcoP - 16-02-2016

Thank you Ellie and Rene! Great images!

The tip of the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. jar posted by Ellies looks similar to the tips of the modern You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. mentioned by Rene. This seems to me suggestive of glass. Also, the f89r1 container seems to have been drawn in cross-section? I wonder if this one was meant by JKP when he wrote: “One looks very much like it was made from glass (the illustrator has attempted to make it look transparent)”.

I have been unable to navigate to details of the ivory objects on the Rosenborg site, but the large image of the ivory room seems very interesting. It's clear that jasper, enamel-glass and ivory objects were preserved for their great value, but it also seems likely that they mimic the shapes of more common objects that possibly had an earlier origin.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=105]

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - VViews - 16-02-2016

I've only just noticed now that the so-called "Fabergé cup" Ellie mentions seems to actually be a drawing of two cups, is that right?
The red paint makes it hard to tell, but looking at the stem part, there is a wider, mostly green and yellow container behind it: Am I seeing things or is this actually what's drawn there?