The Voynich Ninja
The containers in the Pharma section - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The containers in the Pharma section (/thread-406.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - RenegadeHealer - 26-05-2020

(26-05-2020, 03:46 PM)DONJCH Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I keep meaning to post this link
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Thanks for a great link! I can so build a pirate-themed homeschooling unit from this.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - DONJCH - 27-05-2020

Glad to be helpful! Smile

The thing is, I don't reckon most of the VM containers are medical.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - MichelleL11 - 17-07-2020

I found . . . a container!

Just underneath the aborted thunder symbol "finding" in MS Rawlinson D939 (Girdlebook, 1389, Worchestshire, EN) there is actually an interesting container.

This is in the December thunder predictions (Habundiam [sic] frugal & annone paceam & concordiam in populo - Good harvests (forcing?) peace and harmony among the people -- I'm using Google translate here, no Latin knowledge!)

Not sure where the container comes into it -- maybe good harvests lets you make good stuff to store in the container?  Unfortunately my academic source, John B. Friedman, Harry the Haywarde and Talbot his Dog: An Illustrated Girdle book from Worchestershire, available on academia.edu if there is interest, didn't have anything to say about that line.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - RobGea - 17-07-2020

Thats a very nice find.
In context of the image it could be a beer stein / tankard thingy. Can't let those hops go to waste Smile

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Koen G - 29-08-2020

"The suitors praying", from the "life of the Virgin" frescoes by Giotto (14th century) in the Scrovegni chapel, Padua.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - nickpelling - 29-08-2020

Epic find, well done! :-)

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - nickpelling - 29-08-2020

I refreshed my memory of the apocryphal stories surrounding the Virgin Mary in Jacobus da Voragine's "The Golden Legend":

In the chapter celebrating the Feast of the Birth of the Virgin (8 September), Jacopo tells us how Mary grew up in the temple alongside other virgins (small ‘v’). When they were of age (thirteen), a suitor was found for each one – with the exception of Mary, who declined, saying that her parents had destined her for the service of God. But a voice came from the temple decreeing that every eligible bachelor should bring a rod, and lay it on the altar – which is precisely what they are doing here. A sign would then appear to tell them which one was deemed suitable to marry the most perfect Virgin (big ‘V’).  And look at them all – they’ve turned up in droves.

[...] The High Priest and his assistant appear to be rather sheepishly placing the rods on the altar, while looking suspiciously at this foremost suitor. Both are clearly extremely old, age being measured by the length and candor of their beards. You will notice that all the eligible bachelors are beardless – and therefore young – with one exception. But he’s clearly the odd one out, as he also has a halo. He is wearing a blue robe and a yellow cloak. He’s at the back, as he clearly doesn’t stand a chance.

Here's the source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - -JKP- - 29-08-2020

NICELY DONE!!

I think I have a partly finished blog on Giotto, but I don't think I had seen this particular image (or if I did... I missed it)!

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - -JKP- - 29-08-2020

I went to my blog to see what got me interested in Giotto. It was this post...

...one of the cavern paintings. But... I never finished the follow-up blog because I never finished searching out all the sources (too many projects).

Well Koen, that is really cool. Huzzah!

RE: The containers in the Pharma section - Koen G - 29-08-2020

Yeah, it was when researching the apocryphal "Infancy gospels" that I came to these frescos. They show some other resemblances to VM imagery as well, but I won't go into that here. Joseph is described as less eager than the other bachelors in these stories, which is why he is in the back here. He is ashamed of his old age (and indeed already has children of his own).

About the vessels... incense? 

In medieval art, elements from the various Apocrypha are often mixed. The gospel of Pseudo-Matthew is clearest in what happens around the rods in the temple:

Quote:And the rods having been handed over to the high priest, he offered a sacrifice to the Lord God, and inquired of the Lord. And the Lord said to him: Put all their rods into the holy of holies of God, and let them remain there, and order them to come to you on the morrow to get back their rods; and the man from the point of whose rod a dove shall come forth, and fly towards heaven, and in whose hand the rod, when given back, shall exhibit this sign, to him let Mary be delivered to be kept.

On the following day, then, all having assembled early, and an incense-offering having been made, the high priest went into the holy of holies, and brought forth the rods.