The Voynich Ninja
An explanation of low entropy? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: An explanation of low entropy? (/thread-3968.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: An explanation of low entropy? - Arichichi - 19-03-2023

That 'crap' thing reminded me of the scientist who proved that sea doesn't have whales by taking a sample the size of a cup of water. We needn't be too judgemental of other people's work.
My argument for musical notation is the repeating words sequences, the seemingly repeating inflections that cover most of the words, and the scripts potential arrangement of FSG into seven sets of five symbols, which would indicate note and duration.

RE: An explanation of low entropy? - Addsamuels - 19-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 12:12 AM)Arichichi Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.That 'crap' thing reminded me of the scientist who proved that sea doesn't have whales by taking a sample the size of a cup of water. We needn't be too judgemental of other people's work.
My argument for musical notation is the repeating words sequences, the seemingly repeating inflections that cover most of the words, and the scripts potential arrangement of FSG into seven sets of five symbols, which would indicate note and duration.

Well, I try to be honest, and I thought the work was awful, and I can also say that the music, that I create is comparatively awful.
I actually thought some of the music of the artist, was interesting, but still mostly unenjoyable to listen to, on which and with the prejudices of my existence, derive personal judgement upon a piece.

The repetition of words, I guess, is an indication that the piece could be musical. The marginalia and the artwork would be however, an unlikely poor 'counterpoint' to the music though.

It may also be beneficial to learn about the entropy of music, and mathematical and statistical properties of music, of which I feel could be interesting research material.

RE: An explanation of low entropy? - Addsamuels - 19-03-2023

I should also add that the work has been featured in the Beinecke library: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and professional musicians have received the piece well.

RE: An explanation of low entropy? - Aga Tentakulus - 22-03-2023

Another example where everything looks the same to the eye.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: An explanation of low entropy? - nablator - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 02:03 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Another example where everything looks the same to the eye.
Even using a single character for all minims is far from enough to bring the conditional entropy (h2) as low as it is in Voynichese.

RE: An explanation of low entropy? - Aga Tentakulus - 09-07-2023

Low entropy and why English speakers do not understand the VM.