The Voynich Ninja
How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? (/thread-3904.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - Anton - 26-11-2022

(25-11-2022, 06:23 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I would suggest that, logically, if you can't prove it is Greek, you can't prove it isn't Greek.

There's some fallacy here. Suppose you encounter an unknown animal. You are considering the question of whether it is a cat or not. The animal in question has wings while cats are known to be devoid of wings. Hence you can't prove that it's a cat, while, at the same time, you can prove that it is not a cat.

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - Koen G - 26-11-2022

In a strict categorical (no pun intended) case like this, you can prove a negative. Or basically in any case that involves simple observations. Proving that I am holding a pen in my hand is just as easy as proving that I have no pen in my hand. But in practice, proving a negative is often harder because it involves disproving a whole range of scenarios. And after that, new scenarios can probably still be thought of, keeping the ball rolling.

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - davidjackson - 26-11-2022

(26-11-2022, 07:31 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(25-11-2022, 06:23 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I would suggest that, logically, if you can't prove it is Greek, you can't prove it isn't Greek.

There's some fallacy here. Suppose you encounter an unknown animal. You are considering the question of whether it is a cat or not. The animal in question has wings while cats are known to be devoid of wings. Hence you can't prove that it's a cat, while, at the same time, you can prove that it is not a cat.

What? If you can prove it's not a cat, case closed, because the two situations are mutually incompatible. I can't prove it's a cat, because it's a bloody bird.

In order to prove it's not Greek, you have to be able to understand it sufficiently to bring together your argument. Therefore, in order to be able to say it's not Greek, you know enough about it to identify it if it were Greek.
Also, Greek doesn't have any living cognate language, so it's unlikely you'd get it confused with a similar one.

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - Anton - 26-11-2022

(26-11-2022, 09:32 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.What? If you can prove it's not a cat, case closed, because the two situations are mutually incompatible.

Something being Greek and it not being Greek are two situations mutually incompatible as well. Just been alarmed by the invocation of logic, you know Wink

There would be markers for something being something, and there would be markers for it being not. I'm nearly zero in Greek, but speaking e.g. of Russian, if you are able to show that a text contains articles then by virtue of that you prove that it's not in Russian, because Russian does not have articles.

Regarding the OP question, this would depend on whether the text is considered to be a rendering of natural language, to begin with. If it is, then let's say frequency tables (those for letters and words) could show that it is not Greek. More generally, statistical characteristics of the text would suggest that the foundational assumption does not hold true, and then it is not Greek just by virtue of it not being a natural language flow.

But if the question is rather to disprove that the language behind the text is Greek, then I'm afraid it's difficult to approach from that direction at least until "real" word tokens are reliably extracted. Because we are not sure in word boundaries or if some kind of character transposition is not in place. Personally I would not approach it from that side. I would rather select a range of "candidate languages" like Latin, Italian, German etc. based on non-text markers (like cultural/provenance context, imagery etc.), and then try to reverse engineer the message based on vocabularies and statistical characteristics of those languages.

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - Ruby Novacna - 11-12-2022

Although I find many of the words readable in Greek, the combinations of the glyphs pch - ph=f and kch- nk are written in the Latin way.

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - nablator - 12-12-2022

(26-11-2022, 10:25 AM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(25-11-2022, 10:41 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Do you have all the possible substitutions written down somewhere?
Writing all the possible substitutions seems difficult, it would be feasible for a computer program. However, the substitutions I currently use are presented on the Word List page of my blog.
If you had a consistent way of converting Voynichese to Greek it would help a lot in this discussion, even if it is a long list of either do this or that (several possibilities).

I have tried several times to figure out how you do it from the words on your blog and here and failed.

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - pfeaster - 12-12-2022

(11-12-2022, 03:53 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Although I find many of the words readable in Greek, the combinations of the glyphs pch - ph=f and kch- nk are written in the Latin way.

You asked whether there are any "clues that could exclude ancient Greek," and I take it you're looking mainly for any evidence against a solution in which Voynichese words are equivalent to Greek words and Voynichese glyphs correspond at least loosely to Greek plaintext characters.

The points others have raised about entropy and so forth are relevant, but let's try a different approach.

According to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., the twelve most common words in a large sample corpus of Greek texts -- together with their token counts in it -- are:

καὶ ["and"] 4129066
δὲ ["but"] 1501550 
τὸ ["the"] 1414996
τοῦ ["the"] 1140938
τῶν ["the"] 1051317
τὴν ["the"] 993011
τῆς ["the"] 849596

["the"] 831492
ἐν ["in"] 795289
γὰρ ["because"] 687117
τὸν ["the"] 679309
τὰ ["the"] 627063

If we take any text of significant length in grammatically and stylistically "normal" post-Homeric Ancient Greek and work out what its most frequent words are, we should expect the results to resemble these, at least approximately: the single most frequent word should be somewhere around 2.75 times as frequent as the next-most-frequent word, and five of the seven (or so) most frequent words should all begin with the same glyph (τ), which should also be different from the beginning glyph of the most common word of all (κ).

So let's consider the running text in Currier B.  The top twelve words are:

chedy 429
Shedy 361

daiin 316
qokeedy 301
ol 289
qokedy 269
qokain 261
qokeey 252
qokaiin 241
aiin 232
chey 208
ar 197

I don't find tentative Greek readings for the most common Currier B words on your blog, but those words sometimes appear as parts of longer words for which you have proposed readings.  Thus, if You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., then [chedy] should be something like γειται; if You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., then [shedy] should be something like σκεθην; and if You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., then [daiin] should be something like των. Of these, των is the only match for a word in the top twelve, but [daiin] is the only top-twelve word that begins with [d], whereas quite a few of the top twelve words in Greek begin with [τ].  It would be a very strange form of Greek indeed where the two most common words begin something like "get-" and "sket-"; this would be a bit like finding a 30,000 word text in English in which the two most frequently occurring words are not "the" and "of," but "blip" and "bloop."

On the other hand, if we wanted to force the Voynichese forms onto Greek forms, we could hypothesize that [chedy] = [Shedy] and that both represent the word καὶ. The token ratio of those two Voynichese words to the next most common word, [daiin], would then be nearly right (2.5 to 1 as compared to 2.75 to 1).  Then [daiin] could represent δὲ, and all those common words starting [qok-] ([qokeedy], [qokedy], [qokain], [qokeey], [qokaiin]) could represent similarly common words starting in Greek with [τ] (τὸ, τοῦ, τῶν, τὴν, τῆς).  Then perhaps [ol] =  and [aiin] = ἐν.

That's starting to look pretty convincing, eh?

Except that, for consistency, [qokedy] really ought to end the same way as [chedy]/[Shedy] -- hence, ταὶ. And [qokaiin] should end the same way as [daiin] -- hence, τὲ -- while [aiin] should be just ὲ. But for the sake of argument, let's hypothesize that the glyph sequences [edy] and [aiin] can each represent more than one plaintext value, and that the words [qokedy] and [qokaiin] in fact represent τὸ and τοῦ.  Alas, then we'd be faced with another problem: passages in which the Voynichese words appear side by side wouldn't seem to make much sense.  For example, [qokeedy qokeedy qokedy qokedy qokeedy] would translate to "the the the the the."

Should we place any weight on these "clues"?

Meanwhile, we could also compare the results we get by applying particular forms of analysis to known negative cases -- that is, cases in which we know that a script does not match a given language.  So, for instance, we might test the hypothesis that modern Slovenian is a system for writing modern Turkish.  What happens if we look at the vocabulary of Slovenian and see if we can find matching Turkish words?

Slovenian [biti] = Turkish [biti], "his louse"
Slovenian [in] = Turkish [in], "den, cave"
Slovenian [do] = Turkish [doğa], "nature"
Slovenian [od] = Turkish [od], "fire, poison"
Slovenian [jaz] = Turkish [yaz], "summer"
Slovenian [v] = Turkish [ve], "and"
Slovenian [imeti] = Turkish [imdi], "now"
Slovenian [to] = Turkish [tuğ], "horse-tail crest"
Slovenian [on] = Turkish [on], "ten"
Slovenian [ne] = Turkish [ne], "what"
... and so forth

This seems to be working pretty well.  So should we conclude that we're probably on the right track?  If not, why not?

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - Ruby Novacna - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 04:10 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If you had a consistent way of converting Voynichese to Greek it would help a lot in this discussion, even if it is a long list of either do this or that (several possibilities).
At the moment I don't claim to be able to read the whole text, but I always explain what value I give to the glyphs, as in my previous message.
(12-12-2022, 04:10 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I have tried several times to figure out how you do it from the words on your blog and here and failed.
What word did you fail to read?

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - Ruby Novacna - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 05:30 PM)pfeaster Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The points others have raised about entropy and so forth are relevant, but let's try a different approach.
According to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., the twelve most common words in a large sample corpus of Greek texts -- together with their token counts in it -- are:
καὶ ["and"] 4129066
δὲ ["but"] 1501550 
τὸ ["the"] 1414996
τοῦ ["the"] 1140938
τῶν ["the"] 1051317
τὴν ["the"] 993011
τῆς ["the"] 849596

["the"] 831492
ἐν ["in"] 795289
γὰρ ["because"] 687117
τὸν ["the"] 679309
τὰ ["the"] 627063
Unfortunately or fortunately for us, we cannot ignore the fact that the entropy of our text is lower than that of a "normal" text.  I am not a mathematician, I just understand that the degree of disorder of our text is lower, and that it would be unwise for us to compare without understanding what we are comparing with.
For example, the twelve most frequent Greek words, which you quote, in my opinion, provide very little information and in a very ordered text, such as a collection of recipes, for example, would perhaps be in the minority.
Besides, δ' can probably be transcribed as q' and in that case the word frequencies would have to be redone
(12-12-2022, 05:30 PM)pfeaster Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Meanwhile, we could also compare the results we get by applying particular forms of analysis to known negative cases -- that is, cases in which we know that a script does not match a given language.  So, for instance, we might test the hypothesis that modern Slovenian is a system for writing modern Turkish.  What happens if we look at the vocabulary of Slovenian and see if we can find matching Turkish words?
Slovenian [biti] = Turkish [biti], "his louse"
Slovenian [ne] = Turkish [ne], "what"
... and so forth
I don't quite understand your example, are you trying to show that languages belonging to different families can have homophones?
(12-12-2022, 05:30 PM)pfeaster Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.This seems to be working pretty well.  So should we conclude that we're probably on the right track?  
If not, why not?
If not, why not? 
That was my question, I hope you will help me to answer it?

RE: How to prove that the B-language is not Greek? - nablator - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 05:49 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.What word did you fail to read?

Lots. I don't remember.

Maybe the problem is that we have to guess the rules or read hundreds of posts (if they are all written in your blog posts, I don't know). Some rules may apply only in some contexts. Some rules may take precedence over some other rules. How are we to know if they are not all written down in a single place?

For example two rules found in a random post: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
As a "next step" (?) replace:
r/ρ with s/ς
and 
η with αι

So it seems that y not only maps to η or ε at the beginning or ος at the end, but also because of this next step it can be αι.
chedykar = γιτηναρ = γιταινας

That's from a 5 minutes browsing. Any more possibilities for EVA-y that I missed?

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
403. sheolkeedy (1) – skianu89 – σκιαινιδος,
423. soain (1) – soain – σοαιν
430. sokal (1) – sonai – ζωναι,
471. yteey (28) – 9bu9 – ηβαιος = βαιος – small, little, few, short
472. yteos (3) – 9beos – ηβαιος = βαιος – small, little, few, short

So:
y can be αι
ol can be αι
ai can be αι
al can be αι
ee can be αι
eo can be αι
any more that I missed... ?

P.S.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
ydaraishy – ηταιρηκως
a can be αι too?