The Voynich Ninja
Oiin as a verb ending - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Oiin as a verb ending (/thread-3821.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Oiin as a verb ending - Ruby Novacna - 18-06-2022

The question about the combination oiin was raised on this forum two years ago, more about its frequency and possible similarity to aiin. The issue I want to raise is the meaning of this word or words of which the combination is part.
I think that as a separate word You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. may well be equivalent to aiin (ων) and as the ending of a word, it may indicate a verb.
What do you think?

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - cvetkakocj@rogers.com - 18-06-2022

(18-06-2022, 01:49 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The question about the combination oiin was raised on this forum two years ago, more about its frequency and possible similarity to aiin. The issue I want to raise is the meaning of this word or words of which the combination is part.
I think that as a separate word You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. may well be equivalent to aiin (ων) and as the ending of a word, it may indicate a verb.
What do you think?
Ruby, EVA aiin and oiin are both Slovenian grammatical endings for the verbs, 1. per.sing., present tense. Note that three minims could be read as m, or in or, iiv or iw.
  DAIIN  contains root word DA (he gives) and the ending -m.  Because the root already contains the letter a, and no double letters are used in Slovenian, only the ending M is added.
The ending -OM in the VM is the ending of various words, such as DOM (home), LOM (you break!), BOM (I will be)

Reading EVA iin as IIV, we can get another set of Slovenian grammatical endings for adjectives, such as IW (pronounced as IU), which is alternative spelling of IW (iu). The ending is also used for verbs (for 1. 2., and 3. pers.) in combination of the verb TO BE (SEM, SI, JE for past tense, BOM, BOŠ, BO for future tense, and BI for conditional mood.

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - Ruby Novacna - 18-06-2022

(18-06-2022, 06:36 PM)cvetkakocj@rogers.com Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.EVA aiin and oiin are both Slovenian grammatical endings for the verbs
(18-06-2022, 06:36 PM)cvetkakocj@rogers.com Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Reading EVA iin as IIV, we can get another set of Slovenian grammatical endings for adjectives
Cvetka, did you manage to find all the correspondences of -oiin and -aiin in Slovenian?

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - farmerjohn - 18-06-2022

I think it is not a good idea about equivalence of oiin and aiin, p and f, t and k, and so on at least because it reduces the small Voynich alphabet even further. 
I have always thought of oiin as sort of contraction of oaiin (this naturally extends to oin, oiiin, don't forget about them). However some instances of oaiin are not contracted. Why? The situation can be analogous to using Latin letter V. As a vowel it may form diphthongs, but as a consonant not.

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - Ruby Novacna - 19-06-2022

(18-06-2022, 11:20 PM)farmerjohn Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I have always thought of oiin as sort of contraction of oaiin
And what does oaiin mean? 
Would that be Latin?

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - farmerjohn - 19-06-2022

(19-06-2022, 09:51 AM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(18-06-2022, 11:20 PM)farmerjohn Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I have always thought of oiin as sort of contraction of oaiin
And what does oaiin mean? 
Would that be Latin?

My initial thought was that oin, oiin, oiiin stand for uō, uī, uae, while oain, oaiin, oaiiin should stand for vō, vī, vae (note oaiiin is never met). This idea has some difficulties. As any other.

Another possibility: oaiin is contracted to oiin depending on aiin. Most of instances of aiin (and aiiin too) are "clear", but some are written with "the plume" above it. This suggests that aiin (also aiiin) have several values. So it can be that one of these values contracts oaiin to oiin, and the other doesn't.

(19-06-2022, 10:59 AM)farmerjohn Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.My initial thought was that oin, oiin, oiiin stand for uō, uī, uae
Forgive me, farmerjohn, for not understanding your idea completely. According to you, oiin is ui, but I couldn't find a Latin word ui.

P.S. I use Komarov's Gaffiot dictionary or Gaffiot online which I have just discovered, gaffiot.fr

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - pfeaster - 19-06-2022

(19-06-2022, 12:32 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Forgive me, farmerjohn, for not understanding your idea completely. According to you, oiin is ui, but I couldn't find a Latin word ui.

As [vi], it's the dative singular or ablative singular of [vis] ("strength"), or alternatively the Roman numeral 6 -- so by itself it would be a plausible Latin plaintext word, as far as that goes.

(19-06-2022, 01:49 PM)pfeaster Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.As [vi], it's the dative singular or ablative singular of [vis] ("strength")
Thanks a lot, pfeaster!
I checked Olivetti online and just discovered that Olivetti Latin-French does not find "vi", unlike Latin-English, good to know.

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - farmerjohn - 19-06-2022

(19-06-2022, 12:32 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(19-06-2022, 10:59 AM)farmerjohn Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.My initial thought was that oin, oiin, oiiin stand for uō, uī, uae
Forgive me, farmerjohn, for not understanding your idea completely. According to you, oiin is ui, but I couldn't find a Latin word ui.

P.S. I use Komarov's Gaffiot dictionary or Gaffiot online which I have just discovered, gaffiot.fr

There is also word hui, but generally yes, words (not just endings) oin, oiin, oiiin are the main reason which made me look for another explanation