The Voynich Ninja
Is nymphs gender relevant? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Is nymphs gender relevant? (/thread-3711.html)

Is nymphs gender relevant? - R. Sale - 30-12-2021

From a question, recently posed in the "Of-Topic" thread, this seems to be very much on a relevant topic.

"What if the nymphs gender doesn’t really matter in the manuscript?"

It has been suggested, whether as 'stella' or 'anima', that the multitude of VMs nymphs are the personifications of stars or spirits of whatever type might be preferred.  This is a perfectly reasonable interpretation of some normal text or set of illustrations. That is a part of what the VMs attempts to project. That is not exactly what the VMs is. When the nymphs are examined individually, it opens up a whole host of problems.

In European languages that have common nouns with assigned gender, both star and spirit are generally feminine. Therefore, they are ideologically feminine, and therefore, they are pictorially feminine. If they are what they are expected to be, does their gender really matter? It is only where gender differs from the expectation, that gender should matter.

While there are numerous VMs nymphs that almost match this expectation, there are a notable number of exceptions. Exceptions which clearly contradict the expectations as generally presented. In other words, there are a number of intentionally ambiguous and even potentially masculine figures included in the VMs Zodiac sequence. Why was this variety of nonstandard figures represented by the VMs artist? 

Is gender relevant? Perhaps just in specific cases of historical (1), literary (2) and mythological (3) examples. However, there is also the problem of the dark ink that has frequently been applied to the VMs nymphs to emphasize their breasts. This would indicate that the identification of gender was important. But, to what purpose? Is it a distraction or an attraction? Are the nude, female nymphs of the VMs intended to disguise the 'others' hidden in their midst? Or are they enhanced to promote the investigation and discovery of hidden characters otherwise known to be relevant to European, medieval society.

(1) The Fieschi popes on VMs White Aries
(2) Lady Bertilak on VMs White Aries (Wife of the Green Knight)
(3) Castor and Pollux on VMs Gemini

RE: Is nymphs gender relevant? - Koen G - 30-12-2021

Hmm. A problem with this kind of question is that an answer will often be "my theory is x, therefore the nymphs' gender is relevant/irrelevant".

I'm personally leaning towards the female form as the "generic" shape, which is sometimes deviated from in marked cases. For example in q13b (pool pages) and many areas of the Zodiac pages, whole series of generic nymphs seem to have come straight from some defective nymph factory. I don't think anyone can argue that all of these figures represent distinct individuals. This could be an argument in favor of a standard form, which happens to be female.

I wouldn't call it irrelevant though. If they represent stellae or animae, their gender is intentional and relevant. If they represent actual members of some sisterhood, their gender is also intentional and relevant. I'm having a hard time coming up with situations where the gender of the figures is irrelevant. 

An obvious example of a marked case is the pair top right on a q13a page, where the man, dressed, walks behind a long-haired young woman. Her hands are crossed behind her back as if bound, and she is holding a spindle. These figures clearly rise above the generic, so the factory standard model is abandoned.

RE: Is nymphs gender relevant? - R. Sale - 30-12-2021

I would add that there are clear examples that the evidence leans in both directions. That complication and ambiguity were used to create places where information can be subtly placed - disguised or hidden, if you will. That gender could be relevant in one example and not so much in another.

Furthermore, it is the recognition of this sort of intentional ambiguity that is indicative of a level of trickery which has been built into certain illustrations by the VMs artist.

RE: Is nymphs gender relevant? - Ranceps - 31-12-2021

Sorry for putting that question to the general chat thread, I didn't wanted create own thread for every question I have so I posted it there. 

and thank your for your view and experienced look on that question. I really liked the answer from Linda, mentioning "potamoi" 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Is nymphs gender relevant? - R. Sale - 31-12-2021

No apology needed. I'm certainly not in charge of anything. I just thought you posted an interesting and relevant question. And, after Linda's response, the thread went to a completely different topic. So, replying to your question there wouldn't really connect very well. Better to consider the matter in a separate thread.

If you have other questions, do a bit of research and post to a relevant forum.