The Voynich Ninja
Gemini nymphs after 6 - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Gemini nymphs after 6 (/thread-3707.html)

Gemini nymphs after 6 - R. Sale - 24-12-2021

VMs Gemini has some interesting 'nymphs' between 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock in the outer ring. Several of these characters are clothed and ostensibly male. Not the more typical VMs nymph. Also, for some, the style of clothing appears interesting, as it looks like a tunic.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The term 'tunic' turns up in a number of ninja threads that seem to be concerned with the primary male characters of Gemini and Sagittarius inside the respective medallions. I haven't found where these secondary characters have been brought into the discussion. Any guidance appreciated.

Furthermore, in relation to recent discussions, there is the possibility that these characters fit into the myth of Castor and Pollux, leading up to their catasterism. Perhaps this has been considered previously?

RE: Gemini nymphs after 6 - Linda - 25-12-2021

So this may be confirmation bias on my part with regard to my belief that the zodiac shows ages and not months, but I found it interesting that when i went to find examples of Sumerian fashion, i found the men wore short skirts and royalty and deities wore long ones. There was one female ruler in the Sumerian King list, although she and the fashion examples come from the Taurean age, it is known that the civilization was well established by the 4th millennium BC, having been established between the 5th and 6th, which falls into the age of Gemini. As this is touted to be the cradle of civilization, it is an interesting parallel that no further clothing appears in the subsequent zodiac depictions. 

Also, the rubble that the nymph at 6 o'clock stands upon, as well as the sideways tubs indicates to me that the architecture is no longer standing in its original form, yet still exists. This is indeed also the case with Anu Ziggurat dating to the 4th century BC. Again this is the last of the rubble or tubs/barrels.

While Castor and Pollux would come later, there were twin deities in Sumerian mythology, both sets were related to water, one set was male and female and were the parents of Anu, the God of the Heavens, so not only fit with being portrayed as nymphs, but are also related to the sky and stars, and could possibly have been the basis of the subsequent mythology, especially in their relationship with Troy, Greece, Socotra, the Black Sea, the Argonauts, Rome and the Etruscans, with other IndoEuropean parallels, it is like they travelled along with the migration of humans through time. Castor and Pollux as stars and patrons of sailors again establishes the water/sky duality also. So indeed i could see them as actually meaning to be portrayed as Castor and Pollux, and standing for this continuum of ancient human civilization.

RE: Gemini nymphs after 6 - R. Sale - 25-12-2021

@Linda
Thank you for your reply and the interesting perspective on the 'mythological continuum'. My initial concern is the degree to which any information regarding the Sumerian civilization might have been known to the VMs artist in the first part of the 1400s. With the excavation of Ur (C. Leonard Woolley) starting in 1922, it's even a question about what WMV might have known.

Both the clothing (tunics) and the ruins / rubble, as you suggest, might also be applied to Greece and to Rome, which would have been better known to an artist of the C-14 dates. Could characters standing on plinths be seen as statues?

We know that the astronomical / Zodiac / mythological association is historically valid. It appears there is reason to consider these 'nymphs' of VMs Gemini as referential to this 'age old' association. Perhaps this can do a little something to advance VMs investigation and to provide further affirmation that there is a subtle representation of "reality" to be found in these illustrations.