The Voynich Ninja
VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) (/thread-3674.html)

Pages: 1 2

VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - bi3mw - 18-10-2021

Some people have started a crowdsource project on the VMS. I'm not familiar with Zooniverse, but it seems to be primarily a platform that uses "swarm intelligence" to evaluate contributions. How this will work in practice with the VMS is not entirely clear to me.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - Koen G - 18-10-2021

Hmm, more fragmentation. I think it would be more efficient if they joined the forum, but that may just be me Big Grin

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - bi3mw - 18-10-2021

I would also say that an open forum is the best way to present opinions and theeses. As far as I understand it, Zooniverse is a platform for analyzing large amounts of data with the support of volunteers. For example counting animals from livecams or analyzing weather phenomena. This means that you have a concrete task and work towards a goal. As I said, I don't know how the topic VMS fits into such a framework. Maybe the initiators have an idea but that is not clear from the information so far.

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - davidjackson - 18-10-2021

Ah, optimism in action.
The idea is that people will see random bits of the VM and, almost as if it were a Rorschach test, identify it with the first thing they can think of.
From their documentation:
Quote:Example
'Wow I think I saw this plant a while ago when I was visiting my relatives in Italy. What was its name....'
Call relatives... Search on Google...
'Great now I know the name and species of the plant and I even have a photo from an old botanical book, which I am going to send forward.'

A few years ago I had the idea of doing something similar, but to create a new transliteration of the VM. My idea was to rip off the old Google Catcha idea where they had people identify individual words from books as part of their catcha.
At the top of the forum page would randomly appear VM words, and people would transliterate them into EVA characters. It would be a transliteration by group agreement.
I lost interest in it when I realised how much work it would be.

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - RobGea - 18-10-2021

Nice, i'm a zooniverse member, i'll go check it out

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - RobGea - 18-10-2021

They show some pages of the VMS and ask if you've seen something similar somewhere or if you recognize something.
Then you highlight what you've seen on the page and add a note upon what or where you think it is.

Quote:The aim of this experiment is to identify
  • objects in the figure
  • locations on the Earth (if exist)
  • references to your classification (web link or paper resources)
  • characters of the text - did you saw it somewhere? Do they belong to some known family of the language or dialects...

So who knows, maybe something interesting will come of it.

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - davidjackson - 18-10-2021

Actually, on my second visit I came across the project background, which is quite interesting:

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - Koen G - 18-10-2021

Yeah and they gathered an impressive group of academics. I'm just puzzled by the "recruiting" crowd-sourcing angle.

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - bi3mw - 18-10-2021

What I don't understand is that under "Classify - Task" you don't have all the folios to select something. It seems that only one random page is displayed at a time.

RE: VMS Crowdsource - Projekt ( Ivan Zelinka ) - Linda - 19-10-2021

I don't know if it is my device but i found it difficult to navigate and use. I will try it on my laptop in future to see if that is better.