The Voynich Ninja
Internet vs Books vs Archives - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Internet vs Books vs Archives (/thread-3668.html)

Pages: 1 2

Internet vs Books vs Archives - Mark Knowles - 14-10-2021

I have noticed that time and again images are posted on this forum that have been found on the internet especially from digitised manuscripts. However only a small part of what is out there is to be found online, although it is impressive what is to be found online. (I think I remember Nick Pelling observing the limitations of online resources.) Nevertheless it seems that books or archives are rarely if ever consulted by Voynich researchers. I wonder if Voynich researchers should cast their net wider or otherwise they could find themselves waiting a long time until documents are digitised. I remember posting not so long ago about archives with no response, it is as though primary resources are considered irrelevant. I understand there is more effort and maybe more cost required when drawing from books or archives as googling is a much simpler more convenient way of researching. It feels like Voynich researchers need to reassess their approach to research.

RE: Internet vs Books vs Archives - bi3mw - 14-10-2021

I can only speak of myself. In addition to digitized manuscripts, I also refer to database entries and books (often "Google Books"). Which resources I refer to depends partly on the topic, but partly also simply on where further information or evidence can be found. I would not say that there is a preference for certain sources from the beginning.

RE: Internet vs Books vs Archives - Mark Knowles - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 05:26 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I can only speak of myself. In addition to digitized manuscripts, I also refer to database entries and books (often "Google Books"). Which resources I refer to depends partly on the topic, but partly also simply on where further information or evidence can be found. I would not say that there is a preference for certain sources from the beginning.

Do you look at books/journals at the library which are not available online on Google Books or other online resources? Many old books and journals are unfortunately not available anywhere online.

Do you contact or visit archives?

These are what I was referring to.

RE: Internet vs Books vs Archives - bi3mw - 14-10-2021

(14-10-2021, 05:29 PM)Mark Knowles Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Do you look at books/journals at the library which are not available online on Google Books or other online resources? Many old books and journals are unfortunately not available anywhere online.
Yes, mostly by ordering copies from the local university library ( partly via interlibrary loan ). This is mainly for books and essays.

RE: Internet vs Books vs Archives - davidjackson - 15-10-2021

Can't speak for anybody else, but I'm in the back of beyond and have zero access to any of these resources unless I travel.

RE: Internet vs Books vs Archives - Mark Knowles - 19-03-2022

(15-10-2021, 08:44 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Can't speak for anybody else, but I'm in the back of beyond and have zero access to any of these resources unless I travel.

When you say that you are in the back of beyond, which part of the world are you in as I somehow formed the idea that you are in Spain?

(14-10-2021, 05:41 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Yes, mostly by ordering copies from the local university library ( partly via interlibrary loan ). This is mainly for books and essays.

Do you live near any archives? I think you are in Germany, is that correct?

I live very near the Bodleian library in Oxford. In fact a photographed an entire Alchemical herbal from this archive for the benefit of other researchers as it was not very relevant to my line of research.

RE: Internet vs Books vs Archives - bi3mw - 19-03-2022

(19-03-2022, 02:06 PM)Mark Knowles Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Do you live near any archives? I think you are in Germany, is that correct?

Yes, I live in the northwest of Germany. The nearest interesting archives I can reach are those of the Catholic Church in Paderborn. In my hometown there are no really interesting archives.

I would be interested in an alchemical herbal. Can you possibly upload it somewhere ?

RE: Internet vs Books vs Archives - Helmut Winkler - 19-03-2022

@ bi3mw

I would be interested in an alchemical herbal. Can you possibly upload it somewhere ?

Not sure what you are looking for, but there is a list of scans of Alhemial Herbals at

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(19-03-2022, 05:18 PM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@ bi3mw

Not sure what you are looking for, but there is a list of scans of Alhemial Herbals at

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

This is the herbal that I took a complete set of photos of. It is on Nick's list, but you can see that there is no link as it has not been digitised->

Oxford, Bodleian Library MS Add. A. 23

I have shared my photos of the herbal with Nick and a few others. I think it is quite a typical alchemical herbal, although I am no expert on the subject it being a subject somewhat outside my focus.

(19-03-2022, 03:12 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I would be interested in an alchemical herbal. Can you possibly upload it somewhere ?
Contact Nick Pelling if you are interested in that particular herbal, though as Helmut says if you are just interested in seeing any alchemical herbal then you can find links to some on the list that Helmut refers to.