The Voynich Ninja
Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? (/thread-3539.html)

Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? - Gab19 - 28-04-2021

Has ever been discussed the possibility that colors on pharmaceutical containers are not purely ornamental but could have a meaning? Personally I think/suppose they could indicate which part of plants are being used in the related “recipe” and, in particular - brown for roots, green for leaves, blue for seeds/berries/fruits. There is also another color - sort of beige, but I’m not sure about that if it has any meaning and if so - which one.

RE: Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? - -JKP- - 29-04-2021

They seem somewhat hierarchical in their shapes, so perhaps color is significant.

RE: Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? - Gab19 - 29-04-2021

(29-04-2021, 01:47 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.They seem somewhat hierarchical in their shapes, so perhaps color is significant.

You just reminded me another thought I had - the way of preservation. That could be also indicative of which plants are depicted in relative recipe. The simple tubular containers in wood for what can be preserved just dry but those elaborated that are probably made of glass or some other material (as was discussed in another discussion here about containers) could preserve what had to be kept in oil or needed to preserve the aroma?

I didn’t find anything about methods of preservation nor anything detailed about pharmacy in Middle Ages. Do you know any article to suggest? Maybe that could be also helpful in identifying plants in recipes.

RE: Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? - davidjackson - 29-04-2021

It is difficult to say whether colour coding was in use in medieval pharmacies. On the whole I would suggest not.
Firstly, because documented sources don't mention colour coding until the 18th century onwards, when French pharmacists started bringing in standardised bottles and colour coding for dangerous elements and poisons, so they would be instantly recognisable by any student.
Secondly, because visual depictions suchYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (search for the Apothecary's shop link to open a zoomable viewer) don't show colour coding in the jars.
[Image: 2scene07.jpg]
Apothecary shop, 15th century fresco, Issogne Castle, Italy.

The technology of the time would not lend itself to colour coding jars. Jars would mainly be earthenware and hence uniform in nature. I doubt you would have glass jars in the 15th century for common use.

NOW - that is not to say that coloured jars would not have been in use. But I suspect they would have been kept for the upper classes, used as fancy display elements to underline their content of rare and expensive herbs, not in a standard apothecary shop where they could easily be broken in daily use.

So, why would they be in the Voynich? If they are high class apothecary jars, then my argument above suggests they are for display purposes, to show off the expensive elements within.

RE: Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? - -JKP- - 29-04-2021

Great pic.

Also note that the jars are utilitarian, fat bottoms so they are less likely to tip and spill. As far as I could determine, only perfumes and very expensive herbs or lotions were in small fancy containers.

RE: Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? - Gab19 - 30-04-2021

Beautiful image! I wasn’t talking about colors on containers in reality but only in Voynich - used as a promemoria.

RE: Colors in pharmaceutical containers - casual or meaningful? - Aga Tentakulus - 30-04-2021

Some pictures from an old pharmacy in Lucerne.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.