The Voynich Ninja
question: white / red roses in ms imagery? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: question: white / red roses in ms imagery? (/thread-3527.html)

question: white / red roses in ms imagery? - geoffreycaveney - 17-04-2021

This is simply a question, since I am sure that many people have studied it, researched it, and know much more about this topic than I do:

Can anyone tell me if we can clearly identify any white or red roses in any of the imagery anywhere in the Voynich manuscript?

My reason for asking is probably already obvious to many of you: the white rose and the red rose were the famous symbols of the English House of York and House of Lancaster, respectively, in their feud throughout the 15th century, culminating in the Wars of the Roses. Although the latter wars themselves postdate the apparent age of the Voynich ms parchment, their rivalry and their central place in English (and French!) history in the early 15th century are entirely contemporary with the 1406-1438 range for the dating of the ms parchment. The third and final phase of the Hundred Years' War between England and France, the Lancastrian War, lasted from 1415 to 1453. England controlled much of the territory of northern France in the period 1415-1429 in particular. (I recall one analysis concluded that the month names in Latin letters written on the Zodiac chart pages of the ms were characteristic of a northern French dialect.)

Geoffrey

RE: question: white / red roses in ms imagery? - Anton - 17-04-2021

(17-04-2021, 04:56 PM)geoffreycaveney Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I recall one analysis concluded that the month names in Latin letters written on the Zodiac chart pages of the ms were characteristic of a northern French dialect.

Southern French, if I'm not mistaken.

As for roses, I don't recollect any.

RE: question: white / red roses in ms imagery? - geoffreycaveney - 17-04-2021

Since posting my question, I have found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. by David Jackson in 2013. It includes the following analysis, among much else in the post that is now of very great interest to me:

"The House of York (represented on 73v) was commonly identified by the White Rose (which is why the women all have a rose with a golden heart, which apes the common symbol which is clearly seen in prints from that era). The central figure wears a white hat, again standing for the symbolism of his political alignment. Two women in the circle carry no star, and the crossbow points straight at these two. Is the man protecting the House of York by force of arms, reminding these two aristocratic families that they must continue to pay him their dues?"

RE: question: white / red roses in ms imagery? - davidjackson - 17-04-2021

It's still something that I think about, but I've never got any further than supposition and wishful thinking, so I've never written anything else up about it