The Voynich Ninja
[Blog Post] Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Blog Post] Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. (/thread-3508.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Linda - 26-03-2021

I agree, it is nice to see, well done Wladimir D et al! Hoping this leads to some facts we might be able to use to learn even more.

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Koen G - 28-03-2021

I must say that between the specialized technical nature of the discussion and the language barrier, I am not entirely sure how we (Lisa) might reconstruct the original folio order. Is there anyone able to explain the method in a dumbed-down version? Smile And might there also be a way to "restore" Q13 using physical evidence from the binding?

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Anton - 28-03-2021

Someone who is proficient both in Russian and English (who that might be? Blush ) really should provide translation of these Wladimir's blog posts. I'm currently damned busy with my job, so cannot commit to, but I'll try to find time.

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Wladimir D - 28-03-2021

The Q13 page order cannot be solved by checking the hole coordinates. Lisa probably meant the ability to determine the primary belonging to specific notebooks (not the specific order of the bifolio in the notebook?).

When you flip through the manuscript, and reach q13, you do not notice that its dimensions are different. But look from the side of the removed cover. This is an independent QUIRE project.

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Koen G - 28-03-2021

Ah I see, so page order is separate from quire division. But then would we be able to see if Q13 used to be two separate quires, as is sometimes suggested based on the division of image types between bifolios? I mean, some bifolios have only Q13a images (marginal nymphs and tubes) and some only Q13b images (central pools).

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - LisaFaginDavis - 28-03-2021

Yes, Wladimir, I was thinking of (at the very least) sorting bifolia into their original quires based on the placement of sewing holes. That will not help determine the original sequence of bifolia.

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Linda - 28-03-2021

It would be nice if we could get at least that far. I myself do not believe in the separate quires in 13 idea. The differences in drawing styles reflect the notable water bodies of the world at a point in the past, in their respective locales. Sometimes it is seas, sometimes lakes, shorelines, or rivers. Putting each in their own category removes the contiguity which makes it a tour of the world, albeit the pages need to be reordered and sometimes flipped in order to see this contiguity.

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Aga Tentakulus - 29-03-2021

First of all, I would like to thank Vladimir for his work. It is not often that something interesting and new is shown. And also in such detail.

I took a closer look at your pictures. Not directly the binding, but the edges of the parchment pages.
They are overly discoloured, although they should have been protected.
This suggests that it has been exposed to heavy moisture for a long time and that the first binding itself has dissolved.
This would explain why something is missing and the order is not really correct.
At the same time, it would be the 3rd or 4th bond.
But someone who knows more about such spines and bindings would have to take a look. I don't have the experience here.

Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - Wladimir D - 29-03-2021

Dear Lisa. When working with the manuscript, please check.
1 / Are the specified parts in stock? Or some knots, is it a play of chiaroscuro?
2 / Is there a twine overlap on the upper support inside Q2?
3 / Check what is inside the gaskets. For example, the gasket on the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. has green paint to match the color of the hat. That is, the paint was applied in the 17-18 (?) Century.
[font=Arial, sans-serif]     [/font]
4 / Is the gasket Q9 stitched only from the bottom false support to the middle support?
5 / Feel the cover with your fingers. Are there two more straps in there?
6 / Is it the same twine? Could this be the remains of the Q18 mount?
7 / Additional fastening with Q14 and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. spacers? Where did the compensation pads go between 2004 and 2014?
8 / I will send one more question by personal message. I have prepared a blog for pagination. I need expert opinion on my guess.

RE: Analysis of cover attachment and VMS binding. - LisaFaginDavis - 29-03-2021

I will do what I can, Wladimir! Some parts of the manuscript might not be accessible to me due to its fragility.