The Voynich Ninja
[Other] Old news, still unresolved - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Other] Old news, still unresolved (/thread-3498.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Old news, still unresolved - VViews - 28-02-2021

I just contacted the library.
I asked them : can they confirm the book is physically there? What year did the library acquire the book? Was this a purchase or a donation, and if a donation, by whom? 
Also I asked if it was possible for them to digitize a few pages, or at least take a picture of the cover.

As I wrote earlier, I do think it's possible that the person behind this actually wrote a short book about the Voynich manuscript.

"Giannhs Kenanidhs" claims he first received photocopies of a few pages of the Voynich just before Christmas 2001, sent to him by his friend's wife's uncle. Yes.
He says he then received his copy of the book on January 20th, 2002. And that in May 2002 he received a microfilm version of the Voynich from the same friend's wife's uncle connection.
This seems like a much more plausible timeframe for the book's publication than the reported 1990 date.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - davidjackson - 28-02-2021

Well, you've got a terminus ante quem of 1 January 2007, which is when ISBN numbers changed from 10 digits to 13.

The Beinecke started a digitalisation programme in 1996 with watermarks, in partnership with IBM.

The MrSids digitalisations were made, without watermarks, in 2004, I understand, and were the first publicly available colour images without watermarks, freely distributed by the Beinecke. Unless anyone knows of an earlier digitalisation?

So... unless it was a custom job - in which case, permission would have been required from the Beinecke to use in a publication - the image on the frontispiece date from 1996 - 2004.

So, possibly, the lack of copyright for the use of the images caused the low profile of this book, if it was pre-2004.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:Yale University Beinecke Library. The Beineckerare book library is Yale University’s principal reposi-tory for literary papers, early manuscripts, and rarebooks. It also houses the Yale Collections of AmericanLiterature, of German Literature, and of WesternAmericana. These collections support research inmedieval, Renaissance, and 18th-century art; art his-tory and literature; photography; printing history; andmodernism in art and literature. IBM’s work with theBeinecke began in 1996 and has afforded studentsaccess to rare materials by making it easy and inex-pensive to obtain reproductions (see Figure 5). TheBeinecke intends worldwide access but is limiting useto the Yale campus during the first year of digital ser-vices to give itself time to look into intellectual prop-erty issues. The initial focus for digitization was itsphotonegative collection—13,000 monochrome and500 color transparencies. On request, items are pho-tographed and patrons receive a print while the Bei-necke keeps the negatives for later reproduction. Thismethodology creates a user-selected digital collectionrepresenting a broad sample of the library’s holdings.Since this first project, the Beinecke also scanned 80papyri (in color) and 2,000 photographic negativesfrom a Western American photograph collection andis currently scanning 500 illuminated manuscriptfragments.The Beinecke’s property rights concerns are similarto the Vatican Library’s: prevention of reuse of imagesin popular art, protection of the Library’s good name,and possible cost recovery through service fees. Anadditional concern is that part of the Beinecke’s collec-tion is subject to copyrights held by people outsideYale. The only protections (beyond the usual physicalones) the library is using are watermarking and, for thefirst year of service, limiting Internet access to on-cam-pus workstations. The Beinecke has not yet decidedwhether it will use watermarks indefinitely.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - nickpelling - 28-02-2021

ISBNs turned into EANs over a slightly longer period of time, so it's not quite cut and dried as a date determiner.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - Koen G - 01-03-2021

So just to get things straight, you suspect that Ioannis Kenanidis faked a publication to somehow support his views? (Just looking for a motif here).
For all I can see, Kenanidis is a real person with a job at the ministry and some strange yet innocent passion about conlangs. Amid the conlang documents there are some linguistics publications that at least look professional. But then again, the tone used in his Voynich paper is much less professional Smile

RE: Old news, still unresolved - davidjackson - 01-03-2021

(28-02-2021, 11:18 PM)nickpelling Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.ISBNs turned into EANs over a slightly longer period of time, so it's not quite cut and dried as a date determiner.
I was just looking at the ISBN,  not the EAN, on the back of the book (both appear, the ISBN is above the barcode; the EAN starts with 978 before repeating the ISBN number and is part of the barcode).
The International ISBN Agency You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:
Quote:An ISBN is an International Standard Book Number. ISBNs were 10 digits in length up to the end of December 2006, but since 1 January 2007 they now always consist of 13 digits.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - VViews - 01-03-2021

Koen,
There is clearly a real person behind all this.
It might be "Kenanidhs". It's also very possible that it is not.
Everything looks almost normal on the surface.
The online landscape and search results look very different today versus back in 2009. A lot of work has gone into this over the years. As I mentioned earlier, if this is what I think it is, it is truly a work of art.
Or it might be nothing.
I am hesitant to post what I really believe, because there is a chance that I am wrong, and I don't want to make public accusations against someone.
And in the end, this game has harmed no one.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - J.R Moore - 01-03-2021

(01-03-2021, 01:41 PM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Koen,
There is clearly a real person behind all this.
It might be "Kenanidhs". It's also very possible that it is not.
Everything looks almost normal on the surface.
The online landscape and search results look very different today versus back in 2009. A lot of work has gone into this over the years. As I mentioned earlier, if this is what I think it is, it is truly a work of art.
Or it might be nothing.
I am hesitant to post what I really believe, because there is a chance that I am wrong, and I don't want to make public accusations against someone.
And in the end, this game has harmed no one.

Could you tell as much as is possible without making any public accusations? Or at least a motive?

RE: Old news, still unresolved - Koen G - 12-03-2021

Did something happen already? It's been like 2 weeks.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - VViews - 13-03-2021

Hi Koen,
I haven't posted here because nothing new has happened.
I emailed the bookshop two weeks ago to get a human to confirm my order, and someone emailed me back saying they were processing it and would send me a tracking number when the book shipped.
Since then, nothing.
I just emailed them again this morning to ask them for an update. I know sometimes these print on demand books can take a little while. If it exists at all, that is.
The library in Corfu never replied to the two emails I sent them.
Meanwhile, I also tried emailing Ioannhs Kenanidhs, twice. No reply.
I have also tried other things which I won't go into here, but so far I have nothing new to report.
I will post here if anything happens.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - VViews - 26-05-2021

As I'm sure you've guessed, the book never arrived. 

About a month ago, I emailed the bookshop asking them what was taking so long, as I had still not received a shipping notification or tracking number.
They replied that actually, my book had shipped three days after I placed my order, but that they had sent it by regular post and therefore there was no tracking number.
Obviously, this is in total contradiction with their earlier email.
For unrelated reasons, I will be in Athens briefly in a couple of days. I intend to stop by the bookshop, and have emailed them again to ask them if they had the book in stock, and if not, could they re-order a copy so that I can pick it up in person.
Almost predictably, they have not replied. 
I will post an update here very soon.