The Voynich Ninja
[Other] Old news, still unresolved - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Other] Old news, still unresolved (/thread-3498.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Old news, still unresolved - VViews - 27-02-2021

Hi everyone,
This is not really news, but the issue it raises is still not resolved.
Way back in 2009, there was this ciphermysteries post about an anonymous jewish-arabic Voynich theory.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
The author of this theory referenced a book about the Voynich by "Ethan Ashmole Jones". Nobody has been able to locate this book.
The author of the theory, later revealed under the name "Giannhs Kenanidhs", put his Voynich research on academia. In the paper, he insists the "Ashmole Jones" book is real and even shows photographs of the book's ISBN number: 960-329-302-4.
The problem: this book, as far as I can tell, has never been found by anyone else. I have searched by ISBN number and got no results.
The researcher has an academia page, presenting as a legitimate linguist from Crete with a number of publications on various topics ranging from ancient greek inscriptions to conlangs, and some musings about spirituality.
I have my own theory about "Giannhs Kenanidhs" and what is going on here, but would be curious to know if anyone here has been able to locate the purported "Ethan Ashmole Jones" book, if it really exists at all.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - Koen G - 27-02-2021

Intriguing. The book has a page here with 4 ratings You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

And here you can buy it at 50% discount for 4 euros. So it is real I guess. You must read Greek if you want to partake in its mysteries though.

RE: Old news, still unresolved - VViews - 27-02-2021

I just placed an order.
The only payment option was" cash upon delivery with the courrier" with no credit card info taken. I've never had that for an international book delivery.
I did receive an order confirmation email though.
I'll believe this book is real if it arrives. I'll post here if it does.

Interesting, the book has just disappeared from the eurobooks website!
Dodgy

You must have ordered their only copy  Smile

RE: Old news, still unresolved - Emma May Smith - 27-02-2021

This feels like chapter 3 of some cheap mystery/thriller novel.

By chapter 8 VViews will notice people watching his house and he'll take to carrying round the book on his person.
By chapter 12 some young linguistic student, claiming to be Ashmole Jones, will have a rendez-vous with VViews and state that he's never heard of the Voynich manuscript. At that point they'll check the published date: 2042!
The plot thickens...

Cash upon delivery as only only option is weird, I have never even used this payment method for online orders (only for pizza, definitely not for books-that-may-not-exist). Maybe this is a popular payment method in Greece. Or maybe they end up canceling a lot of orders due to mysteriously vanishing stock.

I'm afraid Emma is right, this only gets stranger.
I was able to find the book on another Greek bookshop's website, called Labyrinthos. This one accepted credit card payments. 
Since the first one had cost me nothing, and the book is cheap even with shipping, I made another order for the book there.
I also noticed the book is available from another Greek bookshop, Eleftheriskepsis.
Now get this... 
Eurobooks, Labyrinthos and Eleftheriskepsis all have the same phone number and the same address in Athens:
108 Hypocratos street...
Huh
Edit: slightly reassuring, Labyrinthos bookshop seems to be an actual bookshop that exists on Google maps, with photos and reviews. So perhaps I didn't get scammed.
To be continued...

I find this thread very entertaining Big Grin

So now maybe you ordered their only copy of the book twice, and they will have to tell you that they cannot deliver it because someone else (also you) already ordered it?