The Voynich Ninja
The simplest plant - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The simplest plant (/thread-3491.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: The simplest plant - -JKP- - 25-02-2021

(24-02-2021, 05:23 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@JKP
You are right. You shouldn't rely on pictures alone.
You should know me by now enough that I wouldn't do that. There is a lot more to it.

One possibility is Polygonum aviculare. That would also be the one I showed.

The others you mention (I flew over them briefly), you should reconsider.
I think your work is a bit older and needs new evaluation.

No, I will stay with my opinion that  Polygonum aviculare, Peplis portula, Ammannia baccifera, and the ground-spreading Euphorbias are valid possibilities.

Euphorbia looks like the VMS plant. It grows along the ground, emanating out from the center, it has little tufts of pink flowers at the leaf nodes, it is common. There are three species of Euphorbia that particularly match the VMS drawing.

[Image: VMSPlant21r.png]

Here are bigger pics of Euphorbia (some have spots on the leaves, some of them don't) to show it better. They illustrate the growth habit, and the tufts of pink flowers at the leaf nodes:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I am reasonably confident that the VMS illustrator was drawing the plant from above. I believe it is a ground-spreading plant. Notice that the roots are not shown because they are underneath (not visible).

RE: The simplest plant - Aga Tentakulus - 25-02-2021

OK.
2 Come from America and were introduced to Europe.
1 Comes from Asia, is present in Chinese medicine. But not in Europe
1 Comes from Northern Europe, but there is no medical evidence. What I found out so briefly. But it is still possible if you really look for it.
What remains is Polygonum aviculare.
This is exactly what you see in the VM.

For me, plants from America and Asia have no relation to the VM.
But maybe you see it differently.

Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)

RE: The simplest plant - Aga Tentakulus - 25-02-2021

RE: The simplest plant - -JKP- - 25-02-2021

You're correct, I didn't restrict my plant IDs to Old World plants. I include both New World and Old World plants if they match the drawing.

But, I do think the VMS is probably pre-conquest (pe-1492), and I do think it is probably European, so I give priority to the Old World species. I think they are more likely.

RE: The simplest plant - -JKP- - 27-02-2021

I didn't have time to post this earlier, Aga, but here are some of the plants in early herbals that are similar to the VMS plant, some of which are labeled Polygonum (Poligonos/Polyganos). Sometimes it is called Perserpinatia/Proserpinataia) which basically is a form of "spinach" (a general term they used for a number of wild plants).

[Image: f21Polygonum.png]

Polygonum (possibly aviculare) is my favorite ID for f21r , but I remain open to other possibilities.

If this is what VMS f21r represents, it's a good drawing, because this is how you see it when you are walking along. It grows out from a central point, hugging the ground.

RE: The simplest plant - Pardis Motiee - 09-03-2021

Maybe you can check if this matches with spotted spurge:

1. In constellation of lion
2. The root without hairs
3. Plant with astringent taste
4. Material of inside is the white blood
5. Cooking with barley till making it red and the plant sap has boilings

RE: The simplest plant - -JKP- - 10-03-2021

(09-03-2021, 09:52 PM)Pardis Motiee Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Maybe you can check if this matches with spotted spurge:

1. In constellation of lion
2. The root without hairs
3. Plant with astringent taste
4. Material of inside is the white blood
5. Cooking with barley till making it red and the plant sap has boilings

It has root hairs.
The taste might be astringent, I've never tried and sorry, I don't have time to look it up right now.

"material of inside is the white blood" sounds like milky sap (like dandelion) but I don't think it has milky sap (would have to double check)

I think it's unlikely that it has a red dye (if there's any color, it's probably pale yellow or brown). There are not a lot of plants with red dye (in comparison to harvest tones).