The Voynich Ninja
Marks on f103r - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: Marks on f103r (/thread-3415.html)

Pages: 1 2

Marks on f103r - -JKP- - 20-11-2020

I couldn't find a thread on this, so I thought I would add it to the marginalia section:

Top-left corner of f103r... the top left is hard to decipher. It almost looks like a rune shape or like a monogram of letters E and F, but I don't know what it might be. After it there's something the resembles plaintext that has been partly scraped:

[I'll add the clip when the forum attachment button is working again.]

RE: Marks on f103r - Anton - 20-11-2020

My best guess is capital E or F on top of capital D, and then some Voynichese scribbles. One of those cases when a look of naked eye will tell more than scans.

RE: Marks on f103r - Koen G - 20-11-2020

I can see the F-like thing, the rest is really hard to see. I wouldn't even have noticed if you hadn't pointed them out.

Why do you think it's Voynichese, Anton?

RE: Marks on f103r - davidjackson - 21-11-2020

Difficult to say what it is. Here's the negative, expanded.
[Image: image.jpg?ref=f103r&q=f103r-25-67-223-91...&sharp=.99]

RE: Marks on f103r - Anton - 21-11-2020

(20-11-2020, 11:42 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Why do you think it's Voynichese, Anton?

I discern tails like those in r.

RE: Marks on f103r - Searcher - 21-11-2020

I made an attempt, but just as an experiment. I'm quite not sure to believe in the result. If there are really some scrubbling, those strokes just can be traces of that. So, I agree with Anton that a look of naked eye is the best case.
In fact, our eyes can form any familiar shapes, including Voynichese, and connect them in readable combinations. Now I can discern something that reminds Voynichese iar:

But in the same time, if one wishes, we can read the second indiscernable part as the Russian swear word of three letters. I won't mark it by letters, just - with a line.  Wink

RE: Marks on f103r - Koen G - 21-11-2020

If I were made to guess, I'd say it starts with "vai..." ? Something like "vairrve"? But none of those may be right.

RE: Marks on f103r - Anton - 21-11-2020

(21-11-2020, 05:40 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.if one wishes, we can read the second indiscernable part as the Russian swear word of three letters

if one wishes, indeed Big Grin

But for something like a capital R to the right of it, I'd probably agree that it's there. Why not? Rolleyes

RE: Marks on f103r - Searcher - 22-11-2020

(21-11-2020, 09:08 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.if one wishes, indeed  Big Grin
---
But for something like a capital R to the right of it, I'd probably agree that it's there. Why not? Rolleyes
I knew you'll see what I mean  Smile
I agree that the last combination of strokes looks like a capital R. I saw this scrabbles earlier, when I was searching for hidden notes, but made a conclusion that it's impossible to discerne, at least, on the scan.

RE: Marks on f103r - Wladimir D - 22-01-2021

In the lower right corner there are some poorly visible inscriptions.
At first, I thought that the ordinal 330mq was written in the red rectangle. I consulted with Helmut. It leans towards 23mq.
In this case, it turns out that it could be a quire label. Then we can assume that the original Q20 and Q21, Q22 before the book was assembled were lost. Therefore, picker of book removed the 23mq mark and placed the 20 mark with the other hand in the lower left corner.
Now I tend to say that the first two digits are 23. The bottom curve at 3 is very long, as in the other quire labels. But what to do with the number 0 (O)? This is hardly the ending "omus".
The blue rectangle contains the plaintext “?хrit”. In the picture I have enclosed letters with f116v. The handwriting is very similar. This is one bifolio.
[font=Arial, sans-serif]     [/font]