The Voynich Ninja
IVTT recipes - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: IVTT recipes (/thread-3407.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: IVTT recipes - ReneZ - 29-10-2020

I know that there are not that many users of ivtt, but it is not difficult to install on Unix or Linux systems:

1. get the source from this page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (link to source code below the heading 'IVTT')
2. build it with the command:  "cc -o ivtt ivtt.c"
3. find a directory to which you have write access, and which is in your $PATH . I am assuming that this could be ~/bin
4. move the executable there: \mv ivtt ~/bin
5. update your path: rehash

[font=Arial]You can check that this has worked by typing "[font=Courier New]which ivtt"[/font][/font]
[font=Arial]After this, the "[font=Courier New]./ivtt" in the scripts of @bi3mw should be replaced by "ivtt" and the tool can be used from any directory in your account.[/font][/font]

RE: IVTT recipes - farmerjohn - 29-10-2020

(29-10-2020, 10:59 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I know that there are not that many users of ivtt, but it is not difficult to install on Unix or Linux systems:

1. get the source from this page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (link to source code below the heading 'IVTT')
2. build it with the command:  "cc -o ivtt ivtt.c"
3. find a directory to which you have write access, and which is in your $PATH . I am assuming that this could be ~/bin
4. move the executable there: \mv ivtt ~/bin
5. update your path: rehash

[font=Arial]You can check that this has worked by typing "[font=Courier New]which ivtt"[/font][/font]
[font=Arial]After this, the "[font=Courier New]./ivtt" in the scripts of @bi3mw should be replaced by "ivtt" and the tool can be used from any directory in your account.[/font][/font]

It can also be installed on Windows using excellent Unix emulator MSYS2. Here is the instruction from scratch:

1. Download 64-bit MSYS2 form You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
2. Install to the default directory (should be C:\msys64)
3. Run it, type "pacman -Syu", wait until everything is installed. Close, open, run "pacman -Syu --noconfirm" again several times until command has no effect.
4. Run "pacman -S --noconfirm mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc". It may take some time and a lot of disk space!
5. Run "pacman -S --noconfirm csh". It's pretty quick.
6. Now create working directory somewhere and download Rene's You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. to that directory.
7. Download transliteration files from Rene's site (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) to the working directory. Don't forget to rename ZL transliteration file to "ZL.txt".
8-10. All these steps can be performed inside MSYS2 environment, but I will show another approach, using bat files and without touching PATH.
8. Inside working directory create file "compile.bat" with the following text:
Code:
SET PATH=C:\msys64\usr\bin;C:\msys64\mingw64\bin;%PATH%
gcc -o ivtt ivtt.c
Run it to obtain ivtt.exe.
9. Create file "test.bat" with
Code:
SET PATH=C:\msys64\usr\bin;C:\msys64\mingw64\bin;%PATH%
ivtt +QO +@Lc ZL.txt >> out.txt
to run example from Rene's site. This should create file "out.txt" with some text.
10. Now to run the csh code from the opening post create "shell.csh" file and copy the script without any changes:
Code:
foreach qq ( A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O Q S T )
  ivtt +Q${qq} ZL.txt temp.txt >&/dev/null
  foreach pp ( A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X )
    ivtt -x8 +P${pp} temp.txt ${qq}${pp}.txt >&/dev/null
  end
  \rm temp.txt
end
Create another file "shell.bat" with
Code:
SET PATH=C:\msys64\usr\bin;C:\msys64\mingw64\bin;%PATH%;.
csh shell.csh
Important: note additional "." at the end of the first line of shell.bat, otherwise you must run ivtt as "./ivtt" just as bi3mw did.
Run the bat file to obtain a lot of txt files.
PS Steps 4 and 8 can be omitted if you already have ivtt.exe file.

RE: IVTT recipes - ReneZ - 29-10-2020

Including "." (the current directory) in the path is a bit risky, and will only help if the executable is in the current directory.
I prefer to have:
- source code
- executables
- data files
clearly separated. Especially the data files will be 'all over the place'.

RE: IVTT recipes - bi3mw - 29-10-2020

Here is a little hint:
On Ubuntu and derivatives the default directory for installing such files is "/usr/bin". Files in this directory usually belong to "root". So the commands to install ivtt are

sudo mv ivtt /usr/bin
sudo chown root:root /usr/bin/ivtt

edit: in Windows 10 you can install a Linux subsystem ( Ubuntu ) including bash. If you want to use linux programs more often, this might be a possibility.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: IVTT recipes - RobGea - 28-03-2022

If you're on Windows an easy way is just install 'Code::Blocks' it comes with MinGW GCC then you can use CodeBlocks IDE to compile ivtt.
though then you cannot use the tasty unix recipes in the previous posts.

Anyway, today i wanted the Circular text only from the ZL transcription,so after some study this seemed to do the job.
from windows cmd line:

ivtt.exe -x7 +@C ZL_ivtff_1r.txt  outputfile.txt

command break down:
'-x7'   Turn into a text‐only Ascii file, preserving uncertain spaces, basically cut all the trimmings and keep the text only.
'+@C'   Selects all loci of generic type C (Circular text ).     
'ZL_ivtff_1r.txt' = version of ZL transcription

Also this command  took the 1st letter from square brackets (alternate reading) - idk which part was responsible for that.
Note: question marks are kept and so are the '@123;' notation for rare characters.

RE: IVTT recipes - ReneZ - 28-03-2022

Thanks!

You got the right command to get the circular text out.
You could use additional options. e.g. +IZ to get only the circular text in the zodiac pages.

(28-03-2022, 05:04 PM)RobGea Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Note: question marks are kept and so are the '@123' notation for rare characters.

You could change the @132; notation to single-byte high Ascii. This makes character counting easier and also allows the use of the True Type font.

Alternatively, one could use the newer program 'bitrans' to convert everything to 'nearest looking Basic Eva'.
Of course, that changes the text, but could be desirable for some uses.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: IVTT recipes - ReneZ - 01-01-2023

As I wrote elsewhere, the other day I found a bug in IVTT related to text tag comments, which probably affected nobody except myself.
This has been fixed and ivtt version 1.2 is now available at my web site, together with an updated user guide.

RE: IVTT recipes - nickpelling - 01-01-2023

Has anyone suggested running ivtt in a browser? i.e. by compiling it for wasm etc

RE: IVTT recipes - ReneZ - 02-01-2023

I would be happy to support such an activity.

What would the result look like? How would it be used?
The source code "as is" only expects command line options.

RE: IVTT recipes - nickpelling - 02-01-2023

It could be engineered to run as if it had been launched from a command line, and pipe its output to a text box, or possibly to a temporary file. I'll read up on this, it's something I've only ever read about, never done for real.