The Voynich Ninja
[Interview] Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Interview] Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis (/thread-3141.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - joben - 03-04-2020

Very interesting!

Thanks to both of you for doing this interview!

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - Davidsch - 04-04-2020

What is THE most interesting thing she said as a professional, is that paleography is an entirely SUBJECTIVE study, it's about judgement. (video time 13:29)

So, discussion of the features in the manuscript is therefore interesting, but will never provide a final and conclusive answer on its own.

She considered "Working together" (time 24.52) as the best chance to entangle the script

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - -JKP- - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 06:16 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.What is THE most interesting thing she said as a professional, is that paleography is an entirely SUBJECTIVE study, it's about judgement. (video time 13:29)

So, discussion of the features in the manuscript is therefore interesting, but will never provide a final and conclusive answer on its own.

This can probably be said for several aspects of VMS study.  :-)

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - Wladimir D - 07-04-2020

Thanks for the interview.
I hope that Lisa finds time to find out and clarify my question about the “Additional mounting of ROS and Q15”. Who does not know what is at stake, read the blog You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . Are these patches preserved or are they irretrievably lost? Proponents of “modern fake” can use the concealment of these patches as “conspiracy theories.”

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - Koen G - 07-04-2020

Hi Wladimir, I checked with Lisa beforehand whether she could answer your question but she couldn't, so I left it out. She said she'd take a look at the next opportunity though.

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - LisaFaginDavis - 07-04-2020

Hi, Wladimir,

This is a very difficult question to answer, because the fold-outs are so fragile that they can't really be handled or examined closely. There's too much risk of tearing. When I next see the manuscript (obviously not anytime soon...hopefully in the fall), I will see what I can determine about how the foldouts are attached.

- Lisa

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - nickpelling - 07-04-2020

When I was working with the Voynich Manuscript for several days back in 2006, I delayed working with the nine-rosette page until the very end - it took nearly half an hour of very hesitant movements to open it out, extremely hair-raising. I really didn't want to go down in history as the researcher who wrecked it!

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - Emma May Smith - 12-04-2020

The whole idea of further statistical study based on the "dialects" of each hand is fascinating. It certainly has the potential to deepen our understanding of the text immensely. For example, if the lack of [q] in the Zodiac section can simply be explained by the scribe who wrote it then it rules out certain suggested meanings of that glyph.

A better example: if the break in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is caused by two different hands then the differences in the text there are not based on content. Yet we see that the first five paragraphs have double the number of [qot] than the last eight paragraphs. We see some significant changes in the density of [qot] in the last two paragraphs of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and the last paragraph of f116r. Are these down to a changes in hand too? Is this something the scribe controls? There's long been a suspicion about the relationship of [t] and [k] and this could really push the proof forward.

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - ReneZ - 13-04-2020

Interesting... I had mentally pictured You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. instead of f115r. It also has a break with change of ink colour.

At the point of change on f105, there is rather a mess in the alignment - one of many places in the MS where the order of writing is rather mysterious/suspicious.

RE: Voynich Ninja interview with Lisa Fagin Davis - Aga Tentakulus - 13-04-2020

I have also just looked at page 105.

It seems that one of them likes to write down, while the other one can hold the line.