The Voynich Ninja
The things on the ends of leaves - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The things on the ends of leaves (/thread-3132.html)

Pages: 1 2

The things on the ends of leaves - Mark Knowles - 24-03-2020

It is not important, but there are a few examples of objects that have been attached to the ends of leaves and so dangling from them. I was just curious as to what they are. I don't need to know, but it seems a bit odd to me.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]These may be the only examples. Though there are other objects attached to plants, I think.[/font]

I can think of examples where they seems to be something like a ring around the "trunk" of the plant above the roots. I don't know what they are either.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Are they to protect the ends of leaves or encourage leaves to grow longer or absorbing something from the leaves or feeding the leaves or .....[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]What is the name of these? When and where were they used?[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]In case it isn't clear what I am referring to I have reattached the images with the parts highlighted in red.[/font][/font]

RE: The things on the ends of leaves - Wladimir D - 25-03-2020

This sequence of sheet tips (with possible mnemonics) reminds me of chess pieces.
[font=Arial, sans-serif]     [/font]

RE: The things on the ends of leaves - Aga Tentakulus - 25-03-2020

I would imagine it would be along those lines.

They used to make jam from the shoots of the fir tree. (forbidden today).

RE: The things on the ends of leaves - -JKP- - 25-03-2020

Many plants have flowers like that.

For example, in the bottom picture you posted, Mark, the one with the bumpy green thing? That looks to me like squirting cucumber. In cucumbers the flower sticks to the end of the fruit and shrivels up gradually.

As for the "layers" of petals, I'm not sure. It could be stylistic, or symbolic, or they got the idea from looking at a real plant (some plants have layered petals) and just have a funny way of drawing it.

RE: The things on the ends of leaves - Mark Knowles - 25-03-2020

(25-03-2020, 11:12 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Many plants have flowers like that.

For example, in the bottom picture you posted, Mark, the one with the bumpy green thing? That looks to me like squirting cucumber. In cucumbers the flower sticks to the end of the fruit and shrivels up gradually.

As for the "layers" of petals, I'm not sure. It could be stylistic, or symbolic, or they got the idea from looking at a real plant (some plants have layered petals) and just have a funny way of drawing it.

I can't say that it looks like the drawings that I have see of squirting cucumbers. I am inclined to the view that these are not part of the plants, but objects attached to the ends of leaves.

RE: The things on the ends of leaves - Searcher - 25-03-2020

They remind me some kinds of the family Cactaceae. Unfortunately, the most similar, on my view, Hylocereus (Pitaya or Pitahaya), Epithyllum and Shlumbergera are not from the necessary range of time or region. For example, Pitaya was at first mentioned by Pedro Cieza de León in 1553, in the "Crónicas del Perú".
Maybe someone knows any resemble plants, originated in the European, African or Asian regions.
In general, on my opinion, it can be some succulents or the other Cactaceae.

They almost remind me of decorations that one might see on a Christmas tree. Now I am not saying that is what they are, but they don't look like part of the leaf.

Another thing that I question whether it is part of the plant is the following(there are more than just this example):

RE: The things on the ends of leaves - bi3mw - 25-03-2020

I think that the things on the ends of the leaves are not necessarily plant parts but something else. It's a composition, so to speak. This is also clear for example on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

RE: The things on the ends of leaves - Koen G - 25-03-2020

I'm going to move this to imagery.

(25-03-2020, 04:58 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I think that the things on the ends of the leaves are not necessarily plant parts but something else. It's a composition, so to speak. This is also clear for example on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

That's usually my line of thinking as well. 

In the cases offered by Mark, I especially suspect something fishy is going on in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - the things at the ends of the leaves look like falling towers. (In medieval imagery, collapsing towers are often part of scenes where a city is obliterated). I have spent some time pondering this folio in the past.

These are all images of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the first ones that come up in google. I selected this particular scene for reasons that would take us too far from the core of this thread.

There's actually some precedent for this opinion. Ellie Velinska proposes Carlina vulgaris in her You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - an ID which understandably ignores the things at the end of the leaves. She does add that the "six leaves in the VMs drawing end with symbols that somewhat remind of the six 'towers' in the center of the Nine-rosette page."