The Voynich Ninja
I found something... - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Provenance & history (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: I found something... (/thread-3111.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: I found something... - VViews - 01-05-2021

As someone who's had about a dozen blog posts on the back-burner for ages, I can somewhat relate to what JKP is expressing here.
Sometimes, I'll have a post that goes unfinished for years, I add to it now and then but not getting a result I find really worth posting, and suddenly I stumble upon that one little detail that ties the whole thing together and the post is done within a couple of hours.
I think Tavie is suggesting that there is a bit of "teasing" in the way JKP revived this thread without saying what was found. Personally I don't think that's what happened, I think JKP was genuinely excited to tell us that this research isn't dead and that he will have something to share soon.
I do think what DONJCH said about publishing is important too. But we can't just pump out lists of references and links and images, things have to be thought out and written up... It takes time. Perhaps in that quest, the perfect can be the enemy of the good. 

Personally, I doubt that any of what I have written, published or not, will be the key to solving the Voynich, so at least I don't have that dilemma! Funnily enough when I look at my stats, my most read posts are generally the ones I find the least useful.  So while publishing matters in principle, in reality perhaps not always, and certainly there should be no pressure to post fast.

RE: I found something... - tavie - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 08:11 PM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I think Tavie is suggesting that there is a bit of "teasing" in the way JKP revived this thread without saying what was found. Personally I don't think that's what happened, I think JKP was genuinely excited to tell us that this research isn't dead and that he will have something to share soon.

He's obviously free to present his findings at the speed and in the manner he wants, or even not present them at all.  I was querying why he seemed so surprised and disappointed at being asked about what he found.  When you start a thread more than an entire year ago declaring something has been found but don't say what it is, and then restart the thread reiterating this...then people are naturally going to be very very curious and ask "So, what is it?"   It's a natural impulse in response to a mystery and built-up suspense, and it doesn't make a person a greedy freeloader, nor do I think there was any "heckling".   If you want to avoid such expressions of curiosity - or as the later discussion suggests avoid credit being stolen - it's best to wait till you have everything ready to post together. 

Or just accept that people are always going to ask.

RE: I found something... - Koen G - 01-05-2021

Say that I were sitting on something potentially paradigm-shifting, which may or may not be the case right now, I would personally opt against building anticipation beforehand, even though my excitement would be many times higher than my ability to write it up quickly. Anticipation almost always works against one's case.

RE: I found something... - -JKP- - 02-05-2021

Tavie, I had no idea it would take a year to get up a basic blog about it. I estimated a couple of weeks. But I am working on other things too, and they all tie together. It's like trying to unsnarl a 3d puzzle.

RE: I found something... - davidjackson - 31-05-2021

So... been a month now, JKP. Hint, hint.

RE: I found something... - -JKP- - 01-06-2021

I just had my first weekend off in two years.

So, being a little fresher, I will re-assess in the morning.

RE: I found something... - Barbrey - 29-07-2021

I followed back to the original link.  My first thought on the seal A G was that it was a stylized Mason symbol.  G inside an a-frame (compasses).Was that already considered?  Because I can't help but think the Rosicrucians and Masons would have a great deal of interest in the Voynich.

RE: I found something... - Aga Tentakulus - 29-07-2021

(01-06-2021, 05:48 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I just had my first weekend off in two years.

Was that the first hint ?  Wink

RE: I found something... - Gioynich - 06-01-2023

Any updates?