The Voynich Ninja
I found something... - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Provenance & history (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: I found something... (/thread-3111.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

I found something... - -JKP- - 23-02-2020

I found something. I used to get excited when this happened.

But now I'm a little older and wiser...

In order to follow it up and verify it, I'll have to drop everything else (including my increasing pile of almost-finished blogs that I want so much to catch up on). It will probably take a few weeks or months, who knows how long it will take, because I need a lot of screensnaps from different sources to illustrate it, ones that I didn't capture when I first saw them months or years ago because I DIDN'T know they might be important.

In the end, it will be only one more brick in the wall. It might be an important brick, at least as far as future Voynich researchers are concerned, but I'm getting a bit discouraged at how LONG it takes to gather all the data and write it up so that other people can appreciate why it is important.

RE: I found something... - Koen G - 23-02-2020

A teaser? Sooo what is it about?

RE: I found something... - -JKP- - 23-02-2020

It's not really a teaser. I am genuinely discouraged. There aren't enough hours in the day.

What makes it complicated, even though it's straightforward to appreciate it IF you've done all the background work (and meaningless if you haven't), is that there is a complicated trail of acquisitions that precedes it. I've crossed paths with it before but didn't record any of it... because I didn't know it would lead somewhere.

It's something related to the VMS provenance. But when I looked into it, it turns out that the person acquired a lot of materials (plant-related) from a predecessor who, in turn, may have acquired a portion of it from someone else.

I'm trying to figure out a strategy to deal with this so it doesn't consume months and months...

Maybe if I can find a way to diagram it, I can get it in front of people faster than if I depend on writing it all up (after I figure out the people involved and exactly where the trail starts).

When I found it, I thought it would be easier. Then, when you discover someone gave something to someone who gave something to someone, it becomes more complicated (like the letters about the VMS, for example), except this is potentially even more complicated than that (I don't know for certain yet).

RE: I found something... - Koen G - 24-02-2020

Well in my experience there are basically two satisfying ways to something like this. 

One, share what you know on the forum. The advantage is that things that are unclear can be discussed easily and if the right people get on board the knowledge may expand and be refined. (Right people won't be me in the case of provenance matters).

Two is develop a blog post. The advantage is that you can work it till you are happy with it. Disadvantage is that it takes a lot of time and you may get discouraged and add it to your drafts and perhaps never finish it Wink

Does it have something to do with Nick's blog post though?  Big Grin

RE: I found something... - -JKP- - 24-02-2020

No, this is something I've been seeking for a couple of years and when I stopped looking, I stumbled over it while browsing on an unrelated topic.

It often happens that way... probably because it takes the researcher outside the usual sphere of inquiry.

So it's not related to Nick's blog. Well, I guess I can't say that. Once I've sorted it all out, it may confirm or deny some of what Nick is looking into, but right now I have no way of knowing. It's not directly related. I only know I found something within a certain sphere of people that matches something related to the VMS and the tough part is figuring out where it originated, because some of it may have been passed down through three generations.

I'll post more when I can find examples.

There's no point in posting the bits and pieces. It would be like getting all exciting about showing a clip from a medieval Latin document to someone who doesn't know Latin or medieval script. There's some background necessary to illustrate why it might be related.

Imagine if you posted that you knew the VMS fashions were from the right time period, but you simply said it with no examples. With this crowd, there's nothing but skepticism until they see illustrations to confirm it. And it probably should be that way. Evidence is important.

RE: I found something... - ReneZ - 24-02-2020

Oddly enough, I recently found something. Or rather, I noticed something that could be promising.
In my case it is related to a particular part of the text in the MS.

My feeling about this coincides almost exactly with that expressed by JKP: if this was 15 years ago, I would be quite excited, but right now I am not. In fact I have other things to do that I consider more interesting, and I want to finish first.

These 'other things' will certainly appear in a few weeks' time. (Maybe months...)
After that I'll see.

Too much mystery in this thread  Tongue